• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

One Piece at a Time...My Deuce Project

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the turn signals still do not work after that, move on to the turn signal switch. The switch grounds to the steering column, so check that the bracket on the assembly or the worm clamp that holds everything to the steering column has a blank contact surface (you see what I mean when you look at it). If still no go, remove the turn signal switch, open it up (be ready for a little spring to jump out) and gently clean/refresh the contact surfaces with electronic cleaner and emery cloth. Reassemble and try again. If still no dice, fork out $45 for a new flasher control box. Yes, you can perhaps repair the old one - there is a thread on it - but you be the judge whether the work involved is worth it for you.
OK, so here how this played out. I mounted the flasher assembly to the inside of the fender the way it was supposed to be. There were holes already there for it. I then had to do some rewiring on the plug. I originally stated that it was a 2-wire plug, but on closer inspection, it is 3-wire with the ground wire broken off. I figured this would solve my problem. I soldered, spliced and reassembled. Plugged it in, flipped on the flasher...nothing!:-x Then, I read your post and moved the focus inside the cab. I simply grabbed the turn signal assembly and wiggled it around on the steering column to try to establish a better ground. Bingo! started working! Now, I'll take it off and use some emery cloth on the contact places to make that ground work better. This truck sat outside with no top for quite a while...I'm sure this won't be the last corroded contact I have to deal with. It's in the machine shed now, so as long as I have it, it will have a roof over it. Now, I'll move my focus to figuring out what's draining my battery. Thanks for your help!

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Repaint cab interior and replace passenger seat

2 more little things checked off the list! As I mentioned before, the old seats were junk and I scored a couple decent used cushions off ebay for about $70 including shipping.
This morning I used a wire wheel and finished knocking off what little surface rust was on the floor. Blew out the dust with compressed air, wiped it down and gave it two coats of paint. I just rattle-canned it using Rust Oleum #1919 Deep Forest Green and topped it off with Krylon #4293 Olive. It dried quick and I slapped the seats in and drove it around the section to "break it in". :D

Granted, it's not a professional job, but it's not a show truck. I want to maintain it, but be able to use it too.

Attachments

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That lever is to engage the PTO for the dump. It has 4 positions, High, Low, Neutral and Reverse. I leave it in the high side all the time and use the lever on the left side of the driver's seat to open or bypass the hydraulic valve to raise or lower the bed.

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installing remote reservoir

It's been a while since I posted anything here. That's because my wife and I just had a baby a couple weeks ago! It's been great, but as you dads know, it kinda puts everything else on hold! :D

So this weekend, I decided to install my remote reservoir from 197thhhc. Install was super easy. He recommends installing it behind the driver's seat, but I mounted mine on the firewall simply because I think that's where those kind of things should go. I didn't want to take a chance of leakage or spillage of brake fluid on my floorboard at some point in the future and since I lift the hood before I start each day to check the oil anyway, it's not incovenient at all to check it. Here is the listing to purchase one.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/parts-sale/87912-m35a2-remote-brake-reservoir-kit-complete.html

Attached also are some pics from the install. The only thing I was worried about was some rust on the inside of my filler cap on the master cylinder. I figured it was probably due to condensation. I soaked it in WD-40, wire brushed it and used a pipe cleaner inside it. I then hit it with the air hose to blow out any grit and reinstalled it. You guys see any problem with that?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks