• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

m38inmaine

Original style exhaust pipe/tip installed today, about an hour project. I had the exhaust tip for a while, stumbled on a vendor who had 150+ of them, also nice having the hardware kit with the hanger and bolts. The pipes finally appeared to be able to finish the job. Next project inbound....

Attachments

m38inmaine

Water pump replacement was the project this weekend. You can see on the old pump the trail of crud coming out the weep hole, been that way since I got it. Getting the old pump out is quite a chore, the two back bolts are only reachable after you unbolt the motor mount bracket. I thought the whole bracket would come right out but it gets blocked by the blower. By unbolting it you can gain just enough clearance to get a box end wrench on the back two bolts. There is no room for a socket on any of them, a really thin ratchet wrench might fit. Install is just the reverse but getting the inner back bolt started can be tricky, place the bolt in the pump first then lower the pump in place, you can just get your hand behind the hose behind the pump and using both hands thread the bolt in. I made sure to clean the threads really well so they would thread in easy. The other 4 bolts can be inserted and threaded in with the pump in place. The only part I had to transfer over to the new pump was the nipple for the top hose.

Attachments

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Today's project was installing the M792 folding step on the tailgate. These only left the factory on the M792 ambulance version for ease of patient access. I always try and offer the most correct information I can here so others can use the information on their restoration.

So I contacted the FT. Lewis museum, they have a nice original M792 ambulance on site, the curator was kind enough to help and supplied the mounting dimensions for the step. I also was able to enlist the help of an active duty soldier stationed there to get a second opinion on the measurement, they matched !

The step is mounted left of center so it does not interfere with the lower right litter/stretcher position. Using a square and tape measure worked the best for me, measure over 7 1/2 inches and mark in the center of the outer shell flange/seam. Once this hole is drilled you can use the step as a template. All four 1/4 holes should be about in the center of the flange/seam of the inner/outer shell of the tailgate. The hardware consists of 4 1/4-28x1 bolts, 8 plain washers and 4 self locking nuts.

Attachments

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Its been a long road getting this winch project finished and today was the day. After work my son and I spooled on the new winch cable, at 150' it takes a while, that and keeping it tight and even. I know the chain wrap looks a bit unruly but it frees up the tow shackles. The cable specs for the winch are 7/16 diameter, 6x19 fiber core at 150' in length.

Attachments

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Project of the day was to install a new door kit I purchased a while back. As with any goat project the install was straight forward but a lot of fit trial and error type work, measure twice drill once. The holes to be drilled are for the hinge brackets, attached to the bow uprights, the hinge is used as a template. I will update this post to include pictures of modifications needed to the top bows and special hardware included in the kit.

Attachments

m38inmaine

The only modification is to the top bows, the stud is removed on the forward bow where the bow to windshield rod mounts, it's replaced with a 5/16 bolt and a round spacer 3/4 diameter, 5/8 wide.

The forward fixed window is slid in the channel on the outer edge of the windshield frame, just like the cab top channel except the fixed window does not have a "bead" just a hollow channel in the fabric. Once this is slid down the groove a metal rod is inserted in the hollow to act as the "bead" and hold it in place, the rod is bent at the top and hooks over the top of the window frame. The fixed window is secured against the top bow rod with a clamp, the lower portion is held with a bolt through the door stop.

The door hinge frames are attached to the rear main bow with 8 bolts each, the doors are attached to the hinge frames with 2 pins each. The door stops are held on using 4EA existing holes holding the fender on, fender washers and longer bolts hold the door stops on, room for adjustment is provided with large holes in the door stops, the reason for the fender washers.

It s best to assemble the doors to the hinge frames, install the door, it will be held on with the latches, line it up and use the hinge frame as your drill template. Given the flexible nature of the soft top both sides won't be exactly the same so best to use the door as a template rather than fixed measurements.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Thanks Tom, I was torn between re building the hard top or just installing the new door kit. The hard top need several pieces of glass and new glass channels, would have been expensive.

frenchman

hello
ho boy you do such a good job congradulation labor of love for the gama goat
i know and been there that winch look outstanding and dont forget some parts
are avalible at red river parts talk to blake he has n.o.s curtain for the front of the carrier it realy dress up the goat
frenchman

That tailgate step looks the goods.

No hitch? Or is there some other restricting device to prevent trashing the tailgate?

Spock

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Thanks Frenchman, if were not for you the winch would probably still be incomplete, I do have the splash shield just need to install it. The pintle hitch is there.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Made the 180 mile round trip today to fastenal to pick up 2 NOS gama goat tires. My brother the FB hound found 4 NOS tires for sale in GA at a military museum so I contacted them and purchased the lot of 4. I knew my friend Tom needed tires for his so we split the lot. 3 were Denman, first I have seen and 1 Goodyear. This stuff is still around just got to root it out.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks