• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ordering paint this week... Sherwin Williams CARC or Rapco/Gillespie?

CanonNinja

Well, I work down the street from our local Sherwin main hub, and they stock the 1-part CARC coatings, the F93H107 tan. Not too bad, $75 a gal after tax.

My question is... is CARC worth it? I havent seen a truck done up in Rapco/Gillespie 686a yet, but I know the CARC stuff looks great, and will match my touch up paints. Its about a $75 difference, between a 4gal setup from Rapco vs 3gal from Sherwin.

I know this topic comes up, but I'm more concerned with looks vs. cost. I will be borrowing an SCBA, or using a gas mask with industrial filters for painting as well, I like my lungs to be functioning :-D

CanonNinja

forgot to add... anyone ever had to sign a waiver for the paint? seems there some DoD paper they want me to sign, more of a non-export end user license. Not sure I really want Uncle Sugar involved in why/where/when I paint my truck

Nonotagain

forgot to add... anyone ever had to sign a waiver for the paint? seems there some DoD paper they want me to sign, more of a non-export end user license. Not sure I really want Uncle Sugar involved in why/where/when I paint my truck

CARC is a trade restricted item and can not be exported without State Department approval.

I was thinking about going to Aberdeen this year and putting out feelers to see how large of a market there was for CARC as a group buy.

My rep called me this week about the export restriction and how I was going to handle it if I were to commit to a group buy.

Today I bought 2 gallons of water born CARC (383 green) and 2 gallons of epoxy primer (tan) from S.W., total was about $400. I bought it under my company name and they did not say anything about any forms. I hope this stuff works OK.

YankeeDuece

I placed an order at SW 2 weeks for 4-gals 383, 1-gal black, 1-gal brown along with 2-gals reducer and had to hound the guy for a price. I still don't have a quote and now he doesn't know if he can sell it over the counter after I presented my account info.

If you are not going to sell it, don't make it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this the store on Longpoint? They supply Stewart and Stevenson, I mean Armor Holdings, the paint for the FMTV's in Sealy from there.

Nonotagain

Today I bought 2 gallons of water born CARC (383 green) and 2 gallons of epoxy primer (tan) from S.W., total was about $400. I bought it under my company name and they did not say anything about any forms. I hope this stuff works OK.
The Mil-Dtl-64159 waterborne CARC is the low VOC environmentally friendly version. The environment might be better off but your pocket won't be.

My in-house corrosion testing in a salt spray cabinet averaged 700 hours before the steel panel started to show rust. In comparison, the 46168 and 53039 CARC with the 23377 primer went over 2500 hours before rust showed.

All coatings were applied at minimum recommended thicknesses over zinc phosphated steel panels.

The tan primer is either Mil-Prf-53022 or 53030 can't remember which right now, but it does not provide as good as a corrosion resistant finish as Mil-Prf-23377.

Make sure that when you mix the primer that you add a little water at a time after the catalyst has been added.

Use hot soapy water to clean up equipment. Don't get solvent near the primer or you will have a cottage cheese mess to remove.

CanonNinja

Is this the store on Longpoint? They supply Stewart and Stevenson, I mean Armor Holdings, the paint for the FMTV's in Sealy from there.
bingo. Well you can call it S&S still, since they have a service shop for fire apparatus, large trucks, and mil trucks over by the museum, off McCarty and I-10

CanonNinja

well, the SW store changed their tune this morning, now statinig that won't sell to an individual without a company or organization affiliation....

stay tined..

ida34

What is your price Deuceman? How old is the Carc? Do you have waterborne or the solvent based stuff?

ida34

Bigflew,
I get my carc from the industrial paint store in Detroit. I know Alpena is a bit far away but thought I would let you know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks