• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

original paint job

WOLFMAN1

i have a 1952 studebaker gas deuce but it has no warning stickers or paint on it. it is od green with black bumper. i dont know what to paint on it to make it look original or what size the star on the side of it has to be. any info would be really app. is there a site that sells the warning and other stickers for the trucks or is it better to paint them on.:?:

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Google "military stencils" and a whole bunch of suppliers will pop up. First on the list is Rick Larsen's Military Stencils. Most of the guys on the forum have used his products at one time or another and have been pleased with the results, judging fron what I have read. Rick, himself, is no longer affiliated with the business. He has sold it to a guy in Peoria, IL, but the quality is still the same. If I remember correctly, the web site is www.militarystencils.com.

nattieleather

The color you want to paint the truck is 24087 if you want Army color. That would be correct for your truck. As for stenciles and size etc yep what Lifer said. Rick Larson seems to be the most knowledgeable and a good supplier.

emr

I think a 1952 stuabaker was painted the late WW2 semi, not 24087... [thumbzup]... thats my guess at this time I will look it up though...and the number on the door would be a 6 not an 8 like later trucks, although your truck is repowered? it is up to U what u want, Rick will have the answers U ;look for also Al the paint man in NJ 609-953-1003 Tha t is the 2 places i would go first for first hand info on what U are asking about.. Good Luck!!!!!

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct. WW2 Semi-gloss. The 24087 did not start till 1957 or so.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
www.rapcoparts.com has Gillespie paint. 23070 is WW2 Semi gloss OD. It was used on Army trucks from WW2 to around 1957. 24052 is Semi-gloss Marine Corps Forest Green and 34052 is Lusterless Marine Corps Forest Green, they are used on USMC trucks from WW2 through Vietnam. 16081 is Gloss Navy Grey, and 36173 is Lusterless Navy Grey. They are used on Navy trucks from WW2 to present. 25045 is the US Air Force Strata Blue. I don't know the dates but I am guessing they used this in the early fifetys too. Depends on what branch of service you want and whether semi-gloss or lusterless.:mrgreen:

nattieleather

Well, IMHO I think either color would be correct on a M35. It may have started life in the late WWII color but more than likely it was repainted to the later darker 24087 color. But as was stated it's your truck how you want to paint it is up to you. Heck 4 color cammo of the 70s or modern 3 color camo would not "wrong" if you that is what you want.

emr

Very true about the many colors and styles a deuce can be painted and be correct, I think the M 35 and varients are by far the most universal of almost every one out there, but as stated and to the point, His truck would have started out ww2 semi, and sure would have ended up different, so the options are alot, enjoy and pic one U like, The early ww2 is very cool in my eyes because first his truck was actually painted it, and most people have either camo or 24087... but the choice is the owners for sure.... all the best... :)

WOLFMAN1

thanks alot everyone. i'll check out the ww2 semi gloss and see about repainting it. one question. why would it be painted ww2 color i thought the truck came out during the korean conflict not ww2. when did ww2 end actually? :driver:

armytruck63

If I remember correctly, the original REO Eager Beaver was designed in 1949 and production started in 1950 (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this). Even though the truck came out after WWII, the military used WWII paint colors until about 1957.

It is interesting to note that the GMC M135 and M211 trucks actually came out after the start of the M35 series, even though the GMC's have been out of the DoD inventory for years.

Last edited:

WOLFMAN1

my data plate reads studebaker on it. having carnac run some info on it when he gets time. here is a pic if you can tell me what color the truck is now. i'm color disoriented. cant tell different shades of certain colors. go figure:grd:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
A 1952 Studebaker M35, like virtually every other tactical vehicle bought by the US Army during the early 1950s, was supposed to painted Semi-gloss Olive Drab TT-C-595-2430. However, I have documents from Studebaker from 8 May 1952, that indicates that standard color chips were in short supply, and Studebaker was complaining that they were getting parts painted in no less than five shades of OD.

The five-digit Federal Standard paint system did not even exist until 1956.

As to the registration number (hood number), I have a limited amount of that data on hand, and may be able to help you with your reg number. Failing that, in many instances for a moderate fee the good folks at the Studebaker Museum can provide you with a copy of your truck's build sheet - which will specify the reg number, the original paint color, tire brand, etc., etc.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did a google search for Studebaker Museum and found out, depending on the year, it's either 43 or 28$ to get the history. thanks, David!!:jumpin:

WOLFMAN1

THANKYOU it should be easier for me to get some info. i will look up the studebaker museum and ask them. does anyone know their number or is it just online info only.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks