• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oshkosh P-4 Fire Crashtruck Preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, I know, I get it. And I hate to be that guy. But, everything goes back to where it came from. Everything.
Without guys like you we wouldn't have any farm fields left to sow. Imagine the mess the rest of us would have if not for practical end of use decisions. Thanks for doing it. My brother is the other guy that collects and piles and his wife's Dad was even worse.

It seems that the in-law was broadsided while driving his Chrysler 300. It was a big car and it saved his life. Well.....he thought he'd return the favor and save every Chrysler he could afford. There's over 300 of them in the field just sinking in.

P9150967.jpg

Dual circuit on that P-4 brake system. She ships at 31,735lbs and gets gross at 46,600lbs so dual brakes are handy.......especially when shes's rolling out the door of the Hercules.

P4071224.JPG

74M35A2

Without guys like you we wouldn't have any farm fields left to sow. Imagine the mess the rest of us would have if not for practical end of use decisions. Thanks for doing it. My brother is the other guy that collects and piles and his wife's Dad was even worse.

It seems that the in-law was broadsided while driving his Chrysler 300. It was a big car and it saved his life. Well.....he thought he'd return the favor and save every Chrysler he could afford. There's over 300 of them in the field just sinking in.

View attachment 795138

Dual circuit on that P-4 brake system. She ships at 31,735lbs and gets gross at 46,600lbs so dual brakes are handy.......especially when shes's rolling out the door of the Hercules.

View attachment 795137
Thanks bro. Don’t get me wrong, it is a very emotional thing to do and downright painful. I love mechanized toys. But from the other side, the less of them there are, the more valuable the remaining ones are, and parting one out can further support those causes.

Thanks for the info post, I may hit you up for a few more of that since you seem to have the book, if I need more insight.

Another Ahab

74M35A2

Hahah little far away and saw your other post about parting it out and the price just for the axles lol.
Yep, that’s why I bought it. The Cat 1693 engine that the owner is keeping and the 3 air locking 5t/7t axles are the only thing worth any money on it. I’d gladly donate the rest of it for scrap value to the owner of another.

74M35A2

That is a pretty beast!

Are those walking-treads aluminum, or steel?

Just thinking:

- If they're aluminum they sure would be handy as track for wheelbarowing concrete (or, you know, similar)...
It is huge, the size of a small locomotive. All aluminum body. Really nice, zero rust. Catwalks are aluminum as well. This was made when metals were low cost.

Another Ahab

Catwalks are aluminum as well. This was made when metals were low cost.
Oh, man...this was not on my radar. Until now:

- What's the width of the catwalk material?

If I go crazy enough, are you willing to pull some of that catwalk material off, and sell/ship me some (like say 3x 8' lengths)?

Another Ahab

No craziness required. Let’s talk once I reach that point.
Thanks for that consideration. Might even go for (4) sections...

I'm serious. Please keep me in mind when you reach that point!

Looking at that rig, you might think that some municipality in wildfire territory would consider purchasing one of these.

Competently restored, it could be a lifesaver (literally) for hosing down critical assets.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks bro. Don’t get me wrong, it is a very emotional thing to do and downright painful. I love mechanized toys. But from the other side, the less of them there are, the more valuable the remaining ones are, and parting one out can further support those causes.

Thanks for the info post, I may hit you up for a few more of that since you seem to have the book, if I need more insight.
I have the manuals and get a kick out of research so anytime. We started making a needs list but everything can be replicated here, up here, way up here. We're fairly complete with the only repairs needed to the top cannons, front drive shaft, the area in the circle.....and the unknown engine repair.

Since this was just dropped on us we didn't make a plan. Ideally, some altruistic, philanthropic fire truck lover finances the rebuild here so I can drive it to the train station and get it back to Fort Indian Town Gap or an OshKosh museum. I'm only about two grand into it for hauling, fluids and diagnostic. A wonderful, dedicated, Italian/ Canadian trucker guy wanted it saved so there it is.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

dmetalmiki

Such a shame the rare stuff seems to get scrapped.
Iv'e been after one of those for many years. And that one looks to be (Or have been!) A great example of the breed,
I used to work on them. They are a fantastic truck to drive, Once you get over the 'Scary' jerks and bangs of the transmission. (Rather like a deuce, Just much more pronounced, and L ouder.
I am still looking for a P.4. or mebb'e even a 'Stryker'......

74M35A2

I have the manuals and get a kick out of research so anytime. We started making a needs list but everything can be replicated here, up here, way up here. We're fairly complete with the only repairs needed to the top cannons, front drive shaft, the area in the circle.....and the unknown engine repair.

Since this was just dropped on us we didn't make a plan. Ideally, some altruistic, philanthropic fire truck lover finances the rebuild here so I can drive it to the train station and get it back to Fort Indian Town Gap or an OshKosh museum. I'm only about two grand into it for hauling, fluids and diagnostic. A wonderful, dedicated, Italian/ Canadian trucker guy wanted it saved so there it is.
I’ll gladly give you the items you need that you indicated, just pay the shipping. Let me know if anything else.

74M35A2

Such a shame the rare stuff seems to get scrapped.
Iv'e been after one of those for many years. And that one looks to be (Or have been!) A great example of the breed,
I used to work on them. They are a fantastic truck to drive, Once you get over the 'Scary' jerks and bangs of the transmission. (Rather like a deuce, Just much more pronounced, and L ouder.
I am still looking for a P.4. or mebb'e even a 'Stryker'......
It is, I agree. You could have this one for cheap. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks