• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oshkosh Snow plow W/ frozen motor

JimM37

Man where would you get a gallon of clean water from?If there wasn't a rain cap or coffee can over the stack.It is possible for some to enter through the exhaust if it was Forrest Gump sideways rain. But a gallon. I know it rains a lot in Washington but we're talkin' monsoon here.
Does the radiator have antifreeze in it or straight water?
If its straight water, shame on them, could be an oil cooler leak.
Has Alex cut one of the oil filter elements open yet I'd go there next to see if there is any debris in it.
It appears we are looking at a couple different problems here, the stuck engine is got to be some kind of solid mechanical lockup not stuck piston rings or it would have broken free by now.
The water intake issue can be dealt with later

Attachments

I have seen worse from bulldozers in the spring before we started them! Sometimes they sat for a year or more until a need arose to resuscitate them. SOP: crack the drain plugs on the oil pans, bottom of gear boxes, hydraulic reservoirs, etc. before cranking them up and mixing the oil and water.... Seems the bigger and heavier the equipment the greater the problem with condensation forming and collecting in them. Sure is nice that water is heavier than oil and collects in the bottom where it can be drained. It is unsettling the first time you see copious amounts of water coming out of your pride and joy to say the least. It happens even with the coolant drained and the exhaust covered nicely.

I've had tractors with damaged oil troughs for splash lubrication systems and oil pickups broken off in engines from water freezing in the bottom of the pans and still got them unstuck. Just keep the faith and be patient, keep plugging away. If you do have to give up on this engine we have a good running Waukesha WAK 1197 ci. gas engine from a crane that is similar if you are into big gas engines. I hope you get the Hall Scott purring but there are plenty of popular repowering options for trucks like these. I had a W2201 that came originally with an 893 ci Buda gas engine and like so many other trucks like these was repowered with a Cummins 220. The Oshkosh factory would rebuild and repower trucks for a fraction of their replacement price or you could even order the necessary parts like motor mounts to di it yourself. It would appear the local County Highway Department repowered our W2201 in shop.

I have seen worse from bulldozers in the spring before we started them! Sometimes they sat for a year or more until a need arose to resuscitate them. SOP: crack the drain plugs on the oil pans, bottom of gear boxes, hydraulic reservoirs, etc. before cranking them up and mixing the oil and water.... Seems the bigger and heavier the equipment the greater the problem with condensation forming and collecting in them. Sure is nice that water is heavier than oil and collects in the bottom where it can be drained. It is unsettling the first time you see copious amounts of water coming out of your pride and joy to say the least. It happens even with the coolant drained and the exhaust covered nicely.

I've had tractors with damaged oil troughs for splash lubrication systems and oil pickups broken off in engines from water freezing in the bottom of the pans and still got them unstuck. Just keep the faith and be patient, keep plugging away. If you do have to give up on this engine we have a good running Waukesha WAK 1197 ci. gas engine from a crane that is similar if you are into big gas engines. I hope you get the Hall Scott purring but there are plenty of popular repowering options for trucks like these. I had a W2201 that came originally with an 893 ci Buda gas engine and like so many other trucks like these was repowered with a Cummins 220. The Oshkosh factory would rebuild and repower trucks for a fraction of their replacement price or you could even order the necessary parts like motor mounts to di it yourself. It would appear the local County Highway Department repowered our W2201 in shop.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I bought a Oshkosh plow truck from Chambersburg 2 years ago,It had a frozen CAT motor.3406,I put Marvel mystery oil and diesel in the cylinders.Never got it unstuck,sold it as it was.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GOOD LUCK! Hope and pray that all works out for you and the truck!! Amazing thread and incredible offering of knowledge and experience!! S.S. and it's members ROCK!
God bless,
Tony:D

Jimma

Our small town police department here in GA just obtained one of these cool trucks with the snow plow for free from the government. It will come in handy if we have snow again this year. They also just picked up 4 hummers as well. All free through one of those government surplus programs.

I been thinking about the all the options left on my truck, one would be to re-power it. With all the 8v92's that seem to be flooding the various, unmentioned sites, would they be a good option for a re-power?? I'm sure the group has varied and different opinions on motors. There is a few kinda close to Idaho Motor pool so I was just thinking out load about the choice.
As always I value your opinions.

Heath_h49008

I would get a head off and take a look at those cylinders before throwing that baby out with the bathwater.

Seems like a long way to go without at least a tear down first.

tcody

I agree with Heath. If in doubt pull the head or look at it with a borescope. Find out what you are looking at. A re-power is a difficult and expensive undertaking. The cost in parts alone would easily be double the value of the truck. I can almost guarantee your lowest cost option would be to rebuild the original motor. I don't know what you are looking at because this isn't exactly an engine you can go to NAPA and get a rebuild kit, but there are resources. Contact the folks at hallscottengines.com. They may be able to at least tell you enough to make a sound decision. BTW what motor does it have?
Regards
Cody

Heath and Cody points are well taken, I'm not looking to run the tab up. The Hall Scott is a 1091ci, parts are not a easy find, I've spoke with Spike (HallScottengines) several times over the past few months. He also would like to see the original motor brought back, for the record it's my first choice as well. He has also said most parts are available but....... I'm not looking to spend monies I don't have and do not post this question lightly, however the truck could benefit from a more modern diesel motor and if the HS is served out it's best days then maybe. After all the recent sales of 8v92's, I might find a good full power plant at a bargin. My intent is only to explore all options, cost out some options and hope for the best.

I have a W2206 operator's and service manual here somewhere...., was a fire truck! Can't remember what engine, going to look now.... Hall-Scott 1091's were very popular in fire trucks and those boys are always swapping them, rebuilding them, etc. restoring their fire trucks. Now where did I see it...

Found it! "This publication presents Operating, Operator Maintenance, and Service Instructions for the WT2206 Snow Plow, Truck Mounted Snow Removal Vehicle, manufactured by Oshkosh Truck Corporation...."

Bummer (sort of) it covers Cat 3406 and 1693 T and TA engines. In the back servicing the Cat D346, D348 and D349 Blower engines! That would be like around 500 hp to around 1000+ ponies throwing snow?! Of course it has all the drivetrain stuff... But no Hall Scott....

This truck is way too cool to scrap if it just needs an engine rebuilt or a 8V92 dropped in!. I can only imagine how huge that plow and truck look when you are reversing the plow! I have seen them in person but not in their winter war dress. My avatar is a 1947 W2201 that had the Buda yanked and NH220 dropped in and still runs dependably.

I'm hoping a patient approach and nothing found in the bores....Vroom!

Too cool with the plow still with it...

tcody

I still think the Hall Scott is worth the trouble. Check this out:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cE5EOVECzA&feature=related[/media]

Nice video, mine has the Holly dual down draft carbs, wish the video showed it running, would love to hear that, thanks Cody.
Jeremy, have spoken to Soni a few times about his and my Oshkosh, if I were to re-power it he would be my first choice to plug and play. We have talked about him picking up the Oshkosh and taking it back to his shop. He has admitted to not liking to play with old gassers, not his style or something. Hence some of my reasoning to look at the 8v92 swap, and yes I know they were mostly re-powered by the Cat 3406, (first choice) haven't seen a couple hundred of them cross the auction block on that "undisclosed site"(with still 100's to come).
Also I'd like to say as it stands right now I have yet to see, touch or sit in my truck. Alex has been kind enough to store and manage some diagnostics on the truck, as much as he has helped I feel as if it's best for me not to be to pushy or micro manage him or his time. I have sent a link to this thread to him in hopes he could find some valuable info. I have not gone as far as to pin him down on weather or not he has done his SS reading, nor do I think he should have to be told anything by me. He has done me a large by taking on as much as he has. There is a old saying, something about going to the well one to many times. My hope is to continue to nudge Alex along, forward good and helpful advise, and share a video of a screaming Hall Scott 1091 with dual downdraft holly 4 barrels blowing a blue flame out the top of that stack for you all!!!
Soon:D

tcody

Wanted to hear it run? Ask and yee shall receive! Enjoy.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po_Y7EspkUs&feature=related[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks