• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oshkosh Snow plow W/ frozen motor

Correct! Also if you contact the factory with your truck number they have all the build sheets and will make a copy for you. Clarence Jungwirth did mine for "Eve," truck No. 1198 and I found out it was completed December 24, 1937 so I call "her" Eve. Forgot the details on the '47 W-2201 other than it had to be among the very first of 25 built between 1947 and the mid fifties when it was discontinued (893 ci. Buda gas option I presume in the 2200 series.) Oh, of some interest is that the trucks didn't roll out of the plant consecutively numbered, the frames were consecutively numbered as they were set up on the floor. When they got completed depended on the shipments of the engines, etc. as I discovered when a truck had a number higher than mine but was completed before mine.... Clarence said it was not unusual at all. I just noticed it because mine was so close to the end of the year and was registered as a '38 and the other one was a '37 and completed like two weeks before mine! That also was up to the customer. Oshkosh doesn't care about years or completion dates, just the truck number, then they have the build sheet and can provide any replacement parts correctly, or at least for how it left the factory.

Have you ever seen a 2206 in person? <grin> I kinda hope you haven't until you see your truck! Larry

kastein

X2 on not using force. You can introduce some heat. If needed, hook up a hot water circuit through some fittings on the block. Warming the block even to 120 degrees will help the MMO brew infiltrate. Infiltration is what it is all about. Many witches brews have been tried and they all will work, some better than others in a given situation. You can cut ATF with acetone or lacquer thinner, for example.

If you need to force the motor, better to do it via a piston than at the nose of the crank. Weld a grease fitting to an old spark plug, select a cylinder on the power stroke, and pump away with your grease gun.

Time is your friend and so is heat. I am not advocating an open flame around that motor; hot water flowing through the block works wonders.
I really like the grease fitting idea. Going to have to keep that.

Pop the valve cover off, see if the valves are stuck. If they move, try getting the crank moving... if they don't, you should probably pull the heads and work that stuff over before you try and get the pistons/crank to move.

Larry maybe you would post some pictures of your Oshkosh, it looks to be in real good condition.
I will make contact with Clarence with Oshkosh, he is considered by some to be legendary!!!

I got a email from Alex today and I'm sorry to report, no change, still frozen. This news leaves me in a tough decision place, I,m 800 miles away from taking any proactive steps on my truck, the advice on the site has been wide and varied, all has merit. I'm not in a place to look over Alex shoulder, point to the thread and ask him to read, nor do I know if he has read or has not the quality info posted here.
I'm looking at all options:
1st. at 35,000 lbs and change I could sell it for scrape,
2nd. I could bring it down to Arizona and under take the process of having it gone through here. 3rd. I could sell it, maybe even to a member that has a proven track record of rehab such a condition.
So if anyone would like to weigh in on there thoughts I really am all ears!!
I am open to offers from the folks in the group that may be interested in buying it out right or another arraingment could be reached. Possibly someone close to Alex that could pick it up and take over the fix.
Lastly I hope not to bring the ss police down on this thread because I mentioned the selling of the old girl, I'm just thinking out loud and I'm sure no one wants this truck to become a scrap sale for cheap China junk:!:

kastein

Personally I would bring it down to AZ. That would probably cost a fortune though, around a thousand miles at 2.50/mile (from what I'm seeing)... though assuming it ends up staying with you it has to go that distance eventually anyways.

The sad part is that with fuel approaching 4 dollars a gallon, that money would only buy around 600 gallons. What's a 1091ci Hall get for fuel economy? Is it measured in miles per gallon or gallons per mile?

Last edited:

dburd72

frozen motor

If the money is available to bring the old beast home & your capable of under taking the repair yourself my vote is get it home.it looks like a proud old truck that does not deserve to become scrap.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Siezed Hall Scott

We had the same on this Sterling. Had to remove the sump, end caps (tap up all that wern't frozen), remove shells and replace caps, remove drive shaft, diesel down the bores, then put a bar through the UJ. The gap that the removed shells leaves, is enough to allow the UJ bar to shock the siezed pots just a little, up, down etc.... Little by little she frees up. Later - fired up fine...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4kMZCbalok[/media]

I have a guy that has some interest in the old girl, he's going to try and squirt 4 to 5 oz. of iodine in each of the cylinders this coming week. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing working??

Jbrowning22

I have a guy that has some interest in the old girl, he's going to try and squirt 4 to 5 oz. of iodine in each of the cylinders this coming week. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing working??
I would not under any circumstances let him do that. I know people used to use iodine as a "loctite" back in the day, because it caused the screws to rust into place. I'm not even sure what iodine would do in this application, but I'm sure it's not a good thing.

Why even risk using something unknown, when there are plenty of known (albeit possibly too strong) rust removers on the market. If you were dead set on removing rust you could fill the cylinders with one of any number of "rust removers". Though you risk screwing up the rings.

If you were sick of screwing around, I would fill the cylinders with hot MMO, and apply compressed air through the spark plug hole. It might destroy the engine, but it certainly would break any rust.

mikes47jeep

my favorite method, is to FILL the block with diesel, and i mean fill it

pull the plugs and fill each cyilnder, the fill the crank case untill its overflowing

and just let it sit

ive had great luck with this loosening up stuck engines

trukhead

Did you pull the heads? I have had success after pulling the heads and sandblasting the cylinders, tops of pistons up to the deck. Plug the waterjackets and oil returns and camshaft galley to keep most of the sand out.

I used Diesel Fuel as a penetrate but I think the miracle stuff may work better. I like PB Blaster but I'm sure others are out there.

The idea behind sand blasting is ingets the scale out so the pistons can move up and the penetrant has a clear shot at the piston-cylinder interface.

It's awfully messy though.2cents

adrianspeeder

It looks like this... and plows both ways.Its called a Frink roll-over plow very innovative and efficient. With WT-2206 behind it at 50MPH it makes short work of a 12,000 ft runway
I like that IL76 in the backround.

You don't know what fun is until one of those trucks brakes down out on the run way and the wind is doing 60MPH '. I can tell you snow will find a way to next to the skin that you would not think possibe. On top of that it has got to be O dark. Just about more fun then you can stand at one time. Loved it at the time. To be young again.
You are most correct about the coldest weather you can imagine. It did not make my second deployment fun. Never got to play with snow plows as the Russians took care of that for us, but did get some fun with CE's snow broom. Guy said it has a 500horse Cat in the bed.

Adrianspeeder

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks