• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OUT AND ABOUT WITH MY HMMWV

Eracer46

@frauhansen - You have one good looking truck. And knowing that it fits in the garage at the pub is good intel!

I loaded my M1097R1 up yesterday morning and drove to Giddings, Texas where I met several other SS members at a car show.
View attachment 894402

I connected with @texas30cal in Brenham and we convoyed from there into Giddings.
View attachment 894403

We met up with @Eracer46 and @Barrman at the show. Eracer46 was one of the show organizers and, simply put, did an amazing job! The parking lot was full of great cars and pick-up trucks on display. For historic reasons, sections of the old rail road tracks were left in place. That made the perfect parking spot for our MVs!
View attachment 894405
View attachment 894406

The Giddings Police and Fire Departments also showed up with their MVs!
View attachment 894408View attachment 894407

But all good things must come to an end. After a great day in Giddings, it was time to head home.
View attachment 894409

I logged 188 miles on the M1097R1 and averaged 12.1 mpg.
Great report, Mike! Cars and Coffee Giddings will always have an MV Corral. Next event being planned for cool October! Thanks for making the trip.

belted_guns

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As @Mogman said, you can elect to use your bumper number in lieu of a license plate when your vehicle is registered as a FMV in Texas.

This is a good read:

wow, i had no idea there was this thread. thank you so much for this. A lot of reading i am doing.
qq It appears in the law that the FMV is a vehicle at least 25yrs old. Am i understanding correctly that newer vehicles like an 1151 would not qualify for the mode (FMV)?

m715mike

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went for a short (45mi) jog this morning, took young Diggy Dog for her first joy ride, only to the gate and back, poor little Diggy Dog is just getting over a bout with PARVO
She loves riding in trucks but I have not figured out how to keep her safe and comfortable in the DuraVee yet, her actual name is Dotty for apparent reasons.
Looks like a meat ball on the deck of a Japanese carrier!
It was just a little shake down run after pulling the 10K since build service, actually 11.5K as I have not been able to work in the shop lately.

Attachments

Last edited:

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Went for the first ride of the season. Temperature was in the low 40s. Took the M151 out yesterday and the Humvee out today. Went over and talked my father-in-law into getting his M38 out. It didn't take much effort to talk him into this! All trucks ran great.20230402_162453.jpg20230402_172317.jpg20230402_180739.jpg

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Cam Command out and about. You guys with beaches , snow, and trees... here's how we roll in the desert. Huge poppy bloom this season. Not something always seen here. Got the 'war and peace" photo shot in there, trees too. lol

Smashing some poppies, CAMO IMG_1588.jpgIMG_1551.jpg

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been daily driving my M1123 this week for the fun of it, going to oversee projects and visiting clients. On my way home today on I95 north i see this truck with a couple of nice specimens. The coolest part is that a friend on achat group posted the same teuck 45 minutes earlier about 50 miles south.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been daily driving my M1123 this week for the fun of it, going to oversee projects and visiting clients. On my way home today on I95 north i see this truck with a couple of nice specimens. The coolest part is that a friend on achat group posted the same teuck 45 minutes earlier about 50 miles south.
You have a 2" body lift?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't believe you all missed the significance of that photo. You captured one of the rare all-electric powered HMMWVs. The giveaway is the generator in the bed- that supplies the electricity to run the electric motor. That's some serious cutting edge technology the military is fielding.

1681305666558.png

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't believe you all missed the significance of that photo. You captured one of the rare all-electric powered HMMWVs. The giveaway is the generator in the bed- that supplies the electricity to run the electric motor. That's some serious cutting edge technology the military is fielding.

View attachment 895054
I thought HMMWVs with generators in the back are fairly common

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

View attachment 895054
I thought that was the dual powered hmmwv.

The tied down gizmo on the right rear fender was the connector for overhead electrical (OLE) into the catenary. Then, when you hit the field the generator took over. This would of course be the Top Secret electric powered hummer... With special armored doors...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks