• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OUT AND ABOUT WITH MY HMMWV

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With spring reluctantly arriving, maybe next month, it's time to start getting the garden beds in order. One of the things I need to do is dig them out and sift the dirt back in. I remember seeing a screen frame on the beach at Keyport so I drove the M1165 out to see if it was still there. This would save me the drama and expense of making a new one with new lumber.

I don't know who made this thing but it was floating around Puget Sound for quite a while before making landfall at Keyport, and it's still sturdy. I'll add a couple legs and use it as long as it lasts.

Screen.jpg

A glamor shot of the truck at the beach

Kpt01.jpg

They replaced several rotten boards on the wood bridge and I stopped and hefted this into the back and brought it home. It's pretty thick stuff. I'll make some shoring/cribbing for getting the bottle jack up high enough to jack the truck from the frame when I want to. One end is rotten and the other solid, so I think I can get a good 3' of solid board out of this piece. There's more out there but I need to bring my dewalt chainsaw and cut the other pieces to fit in the bed.

BridgeChunk.jpg

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday, in the rain, the whole day out on a classic car ralley. 170km nice roads but a lot of rain.
i drove my bricklin and Flo drove the HMMWV. Both cars are not water proof..

IMG_0458.jpegIMG_0469.jpeg

visit a classic car & boat museam an meet a lot of frieds. 58 teams in total.
IMG_6478.jpegIMG_6422.jpegIMG_6477.jpegIMG_6482.jpeg
And my daughter navigated by roadbook for the first time in her life
Happy but totally exhausted at the end of the tour.
IMG_0467.jpeg

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Out with my HMMWV on a run with the convoy family. Thats a Group of 200 classic military cars driven by the passion of driving convoys.
Okay... never head about this strange behavior but it sounds stupid, so im definatly in!
And it was fun!!! 200% fun.

80 cars & bikes, some big trucks, mostly Jeeps and mostly out of the WW2 period.
It was a convoy for a short distance of about 50ml.. but you know... convoy are going slow.. and tuns only right :D
IMG_0544.jpegIMG_0546.jpegIMG_0547.jpegIMG_0554.jpegIMG_0558.jpegIMG_0564.jpegIMG_0563.jpegIMG_0560.jpegIMG_0570.jpegIMG_0550.jpeg

The Destination for this trip was the HAM foundation.
Thats driven by the swiss military. And it is huge as hell. A lot of Tanks, support vehicles, carriages, guns.
I think the swiss army collects 1 pice of everything the orderet since the late 1860th for this museum.

I have taken a lot of pictures. You can see them here. http://addpics.com/share/093de/slide
I have imme rversuch the interesting vehicle from a par angles to photograph and then at the end of the data sheet.
You will recognize many vehicles, but under completely different names.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just another beautiful mostly sunny day down here in S TX.
Did the little jog to Beeville, picked up some supplies and of course ate some Chinese food.
The ol DuraVee just a humming along....
IMG_20230517_121716541.jpg
That is a little bit of the Bee County court house, the jet used to fly off of the Lexington which is anchored in the Corpus Christi bay as a museum ship. Beeville used to have a Navel Air Station, in fact S TX at one time had more military air fields than anywhere else as S. TX has more flyable days per year than any other place in the US and where just about every military aviator in WWII and beyond learned to fly.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well "Go Topless day" was not as interesting as I had hoped, they were talking about JEEPS!:cry:
5.jpg
And there were a TON of jeeps on the beach and just about everyone else that had been using the Wohan as an excuse not to go to the beach, it was fully loaded for several miles before I left at 1pm, obvious front coming, seen it many times, just got off the ferry when it opened up.
I really do not want to be on the island when it rains, the roads are covered in salty sand, so at least I was away from the worst of it and I did not have to spend a few bucks at the car wash as it really opened up for about 10 miles ;) , regret not sealing the windshield frame to cowling and roof yet......
I had to pass 2 Spanky's before the rain let up, DuraVee looks better wet!
7.jpg
As far as being Armed Services Day, I was the only MV on the 12 mile stretch of beach I covered today, so no other MV pics to post....
2.jpg
There were three on the other side of the black jeep when I came by the second time but did not get a pic.
6.jpg
4.jpg
I also need to figure out how to extend the wiper shafts through the back of the windshield frame so I can also have inside wipers :LOL:

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a firearm from an on line estate sale last night near Dinero TX so me an ol DuraVee went out today to do the paperwork and pick it up, the FBI was being as slow as usual so I went bottlebutten around the area while I waited, ended up putting over 100 miles on the DuraVee today.
I found several county roads with numerous 35-45MPH (advisory) speed turns, times that by 2 and they are a HOOT!!.
Unknown roads and a hot rod HMMWV will get your adrenaline flowing for sure, the dang thing corners flatter than most vehicles I have ever owned! with its quick steering and lack of body roll reminds me of my old Triumph GT-6 only with about 5-6 times the HP, good times,,,
I have definitely found a new playground!!
Now I see what people are talking about when they heat up the brakes they sure do like to growl, just not using them fixes that issue :LOL:

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks