• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Outbid by $10,000

jeli

Boy is this the WRONG time for me to get into this hobby!!!!!! I really wanted the deuce in Duluth MN. It went for $4700. I inspected it and it is worth 5K but $16.5K wow. Didn't someone get busted in Washington state smuggling dope across the Washington / British Columbia border a few years back in military vehicles? Maybe this rig has some "residue" LOL.

M1075, if you really bid on that truck who won? Is it the bidder everyone was complaining about a while ago?

M1075

To each his own I guess. More than one person had to think it was worth that much for the bidding to go that high. One of our SS members has a like new M35A2 on ebay right now you can buy much cheaper.

M1075

Re: RE: Outbid by $10,000

jeli said:
M1075, if you really bid on that truck who won? Is it the bidder everyone was complaining about a while ago?
I didn't bid on that one, but could visualize a reasonable bid of around $6500. I bid several at Fort Riley instead. Much cheaper, but maybe not as nice.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Outbid by $10,000

If we look at the government cost for a duece and take it to todays dollars a new truck like that is worth every penny of the price. I know we have been getting them for much less but it is what makes America great for all if I cant afford a Cadillac I can look at Chevy's or Kia's Mine cost much less but has higher miles and more rusted parts. I just am glad that the Army iron is getting into the hands of folks that apprieciate it. There will be more trucks for sale and if we wait and save we are almost sure one will come our way.

derby

RE: Re: RE: Outbid by $10,000

Another way to look at it $19239.00 after GL's cut and Uncle Sam.Makes even my wallet hurt!!!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's ridiculous. I believe it was either 8500 who got it, or someone who's too stupid to see it's not a new M35A3.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys,

I won the truck, there is a reaosn why I paid so much for it.. I know EXACTLY what it is.. A 1988 M35A2C.... I spent about 10 hours total going over it down at GL..... And reading the 2 inch think folder of ALL the maintaince records from literally the build sheet telling AMG what "options" to put in it to the email to the unit saying to send it to DRMO 18 years later.. I'll write up a longer "why i did what I did" post tonight.. The time I can spend with my 11 month old son INSTEAD of weeks fixing up a cheapo truck is WELL worth the extra I paid for it... And plus, it was a business expense, so my accountant will be happy...

Say what you want, your all entitled to your opinion. I'd much rather pay much more for a GREAT truck than much less for a clunker and spend time DRIVING it than fixing it.. More to follow later.

Devilman, I'll take you up on your bet... You will loose... :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Congrats on your new Deuce, E22! :beer:

You better have that sucker at Aberdeen!

:driver:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: You knew what you wanted and KICKED BUTT!

littlebob

WOW! But I se the point. Since I got mine in April I've spent more time working on my $1200 project Truck than with my Wife and Kids. They'll all want to ride in it
when I'm done, but If I could have been able to afford spending that kind of money for a truck I didn't have to do much work on, I would probably done the same. Time can be a very valuable commodity if you have Family.

littlebob

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
emmado22 congrats on your win. That is an REALLY NICE truck. There might be a little drool on the floor board from me that you might have to clean up :) She ran real nice when I was there months ago. I kind of figured someone that wanted an almost new truck without having to rebuild it would get it. I was a bit surprised by the ending price though, but if it is worth it to you then that is great.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No doubt to each his own...coulda bought another HMMWV for that. :D
I paid 2200.00 for one of my deuces and it was a Mint 72 AMG with all new running gear. Motor was sweet and none of the typical rust you get from these trucks.
I for one perfer to restore them and then drive them. Not much fun if all you can do is drive it. Heck...I would probably take it apart and put it back together after I got...LOL

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

As you know, there was a M35A2C on GL that went for a huge amount of $.. I won it.. It’s a SUPER CLEAN truck. Was USAF, spent a few years in a hanger at Syracuse NY with a Fighter Wing. Then was TRUCKED to West Virgina, where it was sent to DRMO in 2006.. I saw the truck in GL, where I spent HOURS going over it. I took tons of pics, showed the to some people on the board, and they all agreed that the 4064 miles/ 292 hours on the odometer looked “legit” I spoke to the GL guys, they used the truck as a “jumper” truck to slave off dead trucks. One guy who worked at DRMO (Not GL) said it was the nicest truck he’d ever seen, that’s why they used it for the yard. I have spent 5 years in the Army,I never saw a truck this clean in all of Ft Hood. In the back of the truck, was a 2 inch think folder of paperwork with the registration # on it.. In it is literally everything from the “build sheet to the email sending it to DRMO"… Yes, it took me 2 hours to scribble all the highlights down in the bed of the truck.. I gave up on all the inspections, there were way too many to list. Looks like the USAF does details inspections atleast every 6 months…

M35A2C 88K198 Serial # 1040-11063

Built 2/3/88 by AM General
Factory options:
Heater
Dual brake system with silicone fluid
Rustproofing
CARC 383 Green

Shipped from AMG to Hancock Field, NYANG, Syracuse NY on 1-17-89

Received/Inspected at 108th TCS, Hancock Field on 3/14/89

Work order for seatbelts, Alcohol evap kit, slave receptical, floor grommets on 3/8/89

3 color CARC paint job 8/8/90 by Courtesy Ford, Syracuse NY 8/8/90

Rear canvas torn, windshields clouded over 3/10/89

Start button recall, replaced switch Jan 24, 1990

Shipped from Syracuse to Eastern West VA airport, Martinsburg WV 953 Miles 4/13/94

Batteries replaced 953 miles 1/94 (credit card # and receipt)

Inspection 2/25/94

Side stakes too short 2/26/94

Inspection/ Repair fuel delivery preheater 2/26/94

Master Cylinder RTV’ed 2/1/95
Batteries replaced, corrosion control, R/F wiring to headlight repaired 11/8/99
Inspection 3951 Miles 11/1/04
Inspection 3991 Miles 3/16/05
Repair Lighting Wiring 3920 Miles 8/19/05

Inspection Bottom bracket to radiator pulling off, oil leaks noted 3991 Miles 11/1/05
Email orders to send to DRMO, sent 1/24/06
Final inspection/ Repair bracket to radiator 2/2/06
Transfer to DRMO 2/15/06

So, yes, in some people’s eyes, I paid WAY TOO MUCH for it.. but now I have a truck that I know ALL the history on it, and is in excellent physical and mechanical shape, and most important to me, I don’t have to spend weekends wrenching on it to get it running and functional. Spending time with my 11 month old son and wife is way more important than wrenching.. Not hearing my wife complain about me not spending time with him is priceless.. To me my time is worth a lot more, so doing things I’d rather do is a lot more important than wrenching a cheapo fixer upper truck.. With my VERY busy business, spare time is at a premium. Also, my business basically paid for it as a business expense, so Im not really out of pocket all that $. Now, the plans for it?? Change fluids/filers, add air assist steering, new tires, paint it CARC TAN 686A, add winch, (all of which I have been stockpiling) and enjoy it… I guess I now have a AMG family… M998 and M35A2C… My humvee I bought in "ready to drive" condition.. I paid alot for that also, but havent had to wrench a thing.. Which was exactly my plan. If only my son was old enough to be "soldier B" or a driver....

And now you know the rest of the story….. History and time are valuable commodities to me....