• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Owner Survey---Fuel Additives

usabamaman

I use 1/2 quart of 2 cycle oil with each half tank of fuel. I use this year round, but will add the Power Service Winterizer in the winter time. I can tell that the there is less noise under the hood.

reaper556

I don't really add anything in my cucv's since I don't drive them very much. When I had a 12 valve cummins dodge I did add 2 stroke oil to it every fill up

Skinny

I use the recommended dosage of Diesel Kleen gray bottle at every fill up. I notice it tends to accelerate better, rattle less, and I know that the IP isn't grinding itself to death with the ULSD garbage. I use Diesel Kleen white bottle for winter storage.

tstone

I always add either 2 stroke oil or good clean hydraulic oil at 32/1 to make up for the lack of lubrication that is eliminated with the ultra low sulphur diesel. The injection pump was designed to operate on the fuel that was available at the time the vehicle was manufactured, the ULSD does not lubricate the injection pump properly and will lead to premature failure of the pump.
Using a good oil additive will add the BTU's that have been eliminated by extracting the lubricating properties of the sulphur from the fuel and yield in better MPG. I have replaced 2 IP's from CUCV's that I ran straight ULSD in.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Stanadyne additive exclusively. I add 8 ounces at every fill-up. I buy it from Amazon and really don't care what it costs. You see, I'm spending my daughter's inheritence.

jpg

I usually use Stanadyne Lubricity Formula at 1:1000, as recommended by the manufacturer. It quiets the IP rattle. Best price I've found was 1/2 gallon jugs from blueridgediesel.com.

2-stroke oil at the same ratio seems to achieve the same result in summertime. That's 2.6 oz per 20-gallon tankfull. I use this style of dispenser. Filling the top container gives me 2.6 oz -- perfect for a tank full and easy to approximate for partial tank fills. I use the oil sometimes in the summer, and refill the bottle with Stanadyne for the winter. It makes it easy to dispense without mess.
2strokeoil.jpg

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Stanadyne additive exclusively. I add 8 ounces at every fill-up. I buy it from Amazon and really don't care what it costs. You see, I'm spending my daughter's inheritence.
I agree on Stanadyne. Also I believe cetane is much lower now than it was. Oil by it's self will not raise that number. I get mine on line cheap.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the recommended dosage of Diesel Kleen gray bottle at every fill up. I notice it tends to accelerate better, rattle less, and I know that the IP isn't grinding itself to death with the ULSD garbage. I use Diesel Kleen white bottle for winter storage.
I second Diesel Kleen products, very good results in both on road and off road diesels.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've tried an older supplement called "Pro Trucker" given me by a friend in my 6.2L HMMWV. Not sure how much lubrication it brings, but it did help clean the injectors.

Now I'm thinking I need something for my 1987 tired old IP...

Glad for this thread.

Bulldogger

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One quart of two-cycle oil at each fill up.
One can sea-foam about every fifth tank.
Same for winter.

Runs smoother
A lot quieter
No smoke. That I can see anyway.
Improved fuel mileage

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also I have a Durmax motor that had one higher injector rate balance number. After 3 months using Stanadyne product that number is .04 where it was 1.3 I believe in using the right product. I use it in everything old and Military I have. I would be willing to bet the Cetane in the 1980's was around 50 and now the min. at the pump says 40. Spend the little extra and run the correct stuff. It cleans, lubes and increase the Cetane. Your two stroke will not do all three.

Last edited:

NVRENUFF

I use Walmart gallon jugs of TCW-3 2stroke in all my diesels. About 100:1 ratio. From my 05' duramax with over 300k miles and still perfect stock injectors, the new Passat TDI, cummins 12v, M1008, and even in my Mahindra tractor. I've tried some other additives, but best bang for the buck is TCW-3.

I recently tried the Royal Purple MaxTane in my Passat TDI. At the minimum dosage I LOST 5-6mpg hwy. On the return trip I went ahead and added the max dosage, 2oz per gallon, and saw a whopping 10mph DROP. Needless to say I'll never use that again. Can't wait to tell my RP rep what I think about it. It did seem a tiny bit more powerful, but it's not a drag car, it's a hwy cruiser.

cucvrus

I use straight pipe truck stop diesel fuel and run 10 hours a day 5 days a week. I fill with fuel about 2-3 times a week. The same Big Red M1008 gets driven 50% on interstate highways at Ludicrous speed and the other 50% in slits off road on a stone / dirt lot and on secondary / city streets and roads. I buy all my fuel at the same pump # 17 and record the odometer mileage as the purchase order for the record keeping. In 11 years I replaced the original injection pump. It has 118K on it now and gets run hard daily. Good truck. Does lack the creature comforts I so desire. But I just bear with it. As long as others don't borrow it we are all good to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks