• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ozzytrucker requests advice from Stee-Sol members please.

Ozzytrucker

If you go through Colorado you need to check out the silverton loop. It's a fully functioning narrow gauge rail line from Durango to silverton and back that was used for mining back in the day. A ride up and back is an all day ordeal but it sure is fun bein behind that old steam locomotive when she starts pulling a grade!
Thanks for that jeepsinker. I went on that during my 2012 U.S. trip. I didn't know until I arrived there at the time, that the day I went on the D&S RR it was the first trip of the Spring season and there was a race between the steam train and cyclists to the top. There we some spectacular cycle crashes, the ambulance's were kept busy all day carting them back to medical facilities. Cheers

Ozzytrucker

Long thread and not certain if this was already posted, but here's a link to military museums nationwide:

http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourceSubmittedFileView?file=museums_museum_guide.htm

And if you like railroading, I understand that the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore is something many consider worth seeing:

http://www.borail.org/

Happy Motoring, Brother!

View attachment 483576
Thanks Ahab, that's good one to check on the run State by State.

Cheers

paradeduty

Hey Ozzy!

Exciting trip you have planned - Good for you!

Give me some idea of when you might be swinging through the Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois area.

There may be some events you might be interested in if I had a window to focus on.

I don't know if it would be worth a "special trip" to just check out a few trucks, but if you are in the area of anywhere around Jackson/Ann Arbor, Michigan, I would be more than happy to give you the quarter tour of our small Oshkosh (military) collection.

Seems like there is a lot of events being scheduled for this summer, so there may be something you might be interested in. If you are going to be around between 6/19 to 6/25, the Steam Railroading Institute in Owosso, MI is having an amazing show. They only do this every 4 years or so and this year they seem to be "pulling out all stops". They are going to be hosting a number (I have heard around 6) Steam Locomotives with rolling stock along with their own restored Berkshire #1225 (the one used to model for the movie "Polar Express") - and then they are also going to have a cool car/truck show (to which many of the guys are planning on bringing their military trucks, etc.) - and then they are also going to have some military aircraft fly into the nearby airport for display at the same time. I think they are also planning on having some "sprint car racing" at a local track going on. Going to be a huge event.

Anyways, give me some ideas.

Dave

Ozzytrucker

" Give me some idea of when you might be swinging through the Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois area . . . ."

Thanks Dave. I won't know till I get over there. I'm wandering wherever the road takes me looking at trucks, military trucks, old earthmoving, main-line rail-fanning, steam narrow-gauge, museums and anything else mechanical. I let you know as I get closer.

Cheers

ozzytrucker

Another Ahab

" Give me some idea of when you might be swinging through the Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois area . . . ."

Thanks Dave. I won't know till I get over there. I'm wandering wherever the road takes me looking at trucks, military trucks, old earthmoving, main-line rail-fanning, steam narrow-gauge, museums and anything else mechanical. I let you know as I get closer.

Cheers

ozzytrucker
ozzytrucker, if narrow gauge steam is your thing you need to consider a stop in Durango, Colorado.

I did some backpacking there up in the range where that line runs (called the San Juan Mountains, I think), and the bonus is that it's awful pretty country up there at altitude. Some of the CO crowd here might be able to tell you more:

www.durangotrain.com

http://youtu.be/sJ1VM4-lKLg

Last edited:

Ozzytrucker

Just a quick thanks to all our Steel Soldiers friends who kindly went to the effort to offer me some suggestions for military stops of interest along the route. Look forward to catching up with you guys en-route as I travel across country. Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Cheers

Ozzytrucker.

Another Ahab

Ozzy-

Running my daughter up to a soccer tournament (football to you all) in Hershey PA the other weekend:

- And ran across these brochures for railroading sites;
- Figured I'd drop these in here in case you want to know.

This area is close also to the Gettysburg National Military Park, if that might be of any interest to you. Cheers. ~

View attachment RR.pdf

Ozzytrucker

Did anyone ever hear from Ozzytrucker? I'm wondering if he ever made the trip. Maybe he postponed it?
Yes mate, I'm here as planned. Have been to quite a number of mil-vehicle museums, shows and visits across the country. I had a very good visit with Steve and Dave at Eastern Surplus & Equipment Co in Philly, Steve kindly showed me around the complex and sales yard, very grateful for their time. Also attended the 43rd rally at Aberdeen among others. The plan is to road it back from DC to Seattle to LA over the next month.

Cheers
Ozzytrucker.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks