• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking brake-- Do I need it?

Hey guys, so I recently purchased my deuce, the guy that I bought it from pulled the parking brake while driving and disintegrated it. Now it's just the shoes dangling inside the drum. I personally don't use the brake, not many hills around here. Is it something that I need to replace or can I just remove the innards and put it back together so it doesn't sound like a constant fire alarm going off?

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not trying to steal the thread but it may help the OP. Has anybody religned a parking brake shoe with new rivets and linings?

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is Definately something that I would not do without on my trucks. I have a like new parking brake setup for sale in the classifieds. Pm me if interested.

texas30cal

I just re-lined mine a couple of weeks ago with linings and rivets from Eriks, no problem and it works great now. I made my rivet tools out of old punches but you may be able to buy the right one.

Al Harvey

You really do need the parking brake for two reasons. One for a back up to use with down shifting if you lose your main brakes (they are a single circuit). Also for parking. If your not aware, the deuce will start with the switch in the off position. There are multiple cases of parked deuces being accidentally bumped by another vehicle and then roll starting themselves. A chock block and parking brake is the best was to park it, then if you leave it in gear as a back up, MAKE SURE the engine cut off handle is pulled and locked fully out.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If the truck didn't need it then it would have not came equipped with it

Carry around a wheel chalk set so in the event it does decide that it wants to roll away it can't.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How are you planning to get the truck inspected ???? IN good old NYS you will have to get it Safety AND Emission inspected being as you live downstate on the island . I would fix the P brake for all the above reasons and to be honest in the general scheme of things it is not that big a deal to repair . Remember your MV has what I call a 2 pump system , break a line and you could be wishing you had that P brake .

I park it in my backyard. Always use chocks I keep them in the underbody box when driving. I understand it can be started with the battery switch off, but in my backyard nothing is gonna bump into it.

As far as the NYS inspection, I'm a roadside diesel mechanic, fully aware of what it needs to pass. It would never pass right now. But lucky for me I know someone. I'm sure a lot of guys on here "know" someone.

I will ill repair it then. Thanks for the input guys. Tomorrow focusing on getting 2 front wheels/ tires for it. It has the original wheels and rubber on the front right now. Very dry rotted

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally don't care if you "KNOW SOMEONE" to buy a inspection , BUT this is a open PUBLIC forum , and you did post a picture of your MV with the PLATE # so ....oooo if you are going to do something illegal don't post it on the forum . How do you know somebody from NYSDMV does not read the forums also . JMPO . good luck stay safe .

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think the biggest reason to have a functioning parking brake is for all the times you're actually using the truck. Backing up to a trailer by yourself? You'll get out of the truck a few times to see where you're at-you wanna' shut the truck off every single time?

Not trying to steal the thread but it may help the OP. Has anybody religned a parking brake shoe with new rivets and linings?
Eastern or TNJ (Eastern I think) had a bunch of linings and rivets on eBay a while back cheap. I bought 5 sets and relined all my old worn out ones with new. Had the local big truck place do the riveting because I've never relined a shoe. I ended up with about $30 or $35 in each pair (yes, pair) of shoes. Very happy with it.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless your Deuce is a later model USAF Contract Built M35A2C it has ONLY Single-Circuit air over hydraulic brakes. In other words, any seal, line, or other failure could and would readily result in ZERO brake pedal effect upon rolling momentum.

THIS IS VERY BAD.

Hence, although not very effective, the "parking brake" is the only thing other than a BRICK WALL that has a snowball's chance of slowing or stopping your 13,000+ pounds of rolling DEATH.

Your thread's title "Parking Brake-- Do I need it?" is a sad commentary on an obviously deficient SAFETY ATTITUDE.

PLEASE DO NOT jeopardize the reputation of the Former Military Vehicle Hobby, the collective Owners of Former Military Vehicles, nor the potential for OUTLAWING the future use, availability, surplus sale, or motor vehicle licensing for highway use of these FMVs just because you are - for whatever reason - unwilling to maintain a SAFE VEHICLE.

If this seems HARSH.... then you are correctly hearing my concerns.

To quote Albert Einstein:
"The same intelligence used to create te problem CANNOT be used to fix it." (paraphrased)

DO NOT OPERATE UNSAFE VEHICLES ! ! !

Last edited:

rustystud

I park it in my backyard. Always use chocks I keep them in the underbody box when driving. I understand it can be started with the battery switch off, but in my backyard nothing is gonna bump into it.

As far as the NYS inspection, I'm a roadside diesel mechanic, fully aware of what it needs to pass. It would never pass right now. But lucky for me I know someone. I'm sure a lot of guys on here "know" someone.

I will ill repair it then. Thanks for the input guys. Tomorrow focusing on getting 2 front wheels/ tires for it. It has the original wheels and rubber on the front right now. Very dry rotted
You say your a "road side Mechanic" and you ask us if it's OK to "not" run a parking brake on a 2.5 ton truck ? Are you kidding me ?!?! Any diesel truck mechanic knows the "Law" says that the truck "Must" have a park brake and it "Must" be able to stop the truck at 5 MPH . This applies to air-brakes and mechanical apply brakes.
:doh:

F18hornetM

I dont know why you wouldn't fix it. Lot of things can be let go and not repaired, Stopping is not one of them! PLus, if your a mechanic this is not a hard repair.

PS: I have 11 mechanics that work for me and if one of them had to ask me if a parking brake was worth fixing, I'd be ticked. Just saying! And none of my mechanics have their vehicles inspected by "knowing someone" They fix their stuff so it passes. Its just important to do good quality SAFE work.

Last edited:
Ok good morning guys. I already said thanks for the input and I will fix it, guess that was not enough. By asking do I need it? , I should have added, will it really stop the truck while moving. Because the guy I bought it from pulled it while moving and that's what caused it to break.

Im sorry if I ticked off a few of you. I understand that the truck has single circuit brakes. A leak anywhere means no brakes. But every time I drive it, first thing I do it stomp on the brake pedal hard. If somethings gonna give, it will when I apply full braking pressure. Remember, I drove the truck 120 mi home on highways/ through villages etc. the braking system works correctly as of right now, so it's not that unsafe. I've driven worse.

And yes, I'm a roadside mechanic. My only day off is Sunday, today, so I am going to get the tires today and put them on and I will order the parking brake. I work about 65-75 Hrs/ week so today is my only day to work on the truck. So by asking this question, I wanted to learn if the job is a pain in the a55, what it may cost me, maybe what TM I should look at, how long it would take me. Again I said I would do it. I respect all you guys, but please stop lecturing me. I did not say "I don't think I need it so I'm not going to do it"

I know it needs to be done, and it will be done. Some of you may be retired and do nothing but MV's all day. I cannot, I'm 25 and work my a55 off to pay my school bills, Snapon bills, insurance, etc, AND I was lucky enough to find a deuce that I could afford. What I'm getting at is the truck is going to be a very slow rebuild, but I can't just work on it for 6 months straight with never driving it. After bringing it home, I haven't gone farther than 3 mi from the house. I am not dumb. I made it all the way home thankfully, now when I go for a drive, it's around the block. I also barely use the brakes, mostly just a little amount of pressure, like 10-20% braking force when coming to a stop in 2nd at a light. I do not do hard stops in it like its a corvette. I see a red light from 1/4mi away, I coast till I get there.

I appreciated cold warrior's post, because he lectured me for a min to beat it in my head, but then told me the one thing I wanted to know, the parking brake is not very effective at stopping the truck. I am not comfortable with driving anything unsafe, but I don't care about my safety or the damage to the truck. I care about if I hit or run someone over. I know I'm driving a big weapon. I get it. Again, sorry guys.

pigpen60

Somewhere I read that you should idle for 5 minutes to let the turbo cool, I dont have the patience to sit for 5 waiting. I set the parking brake and walk around and check lights/tires/listen. Kinda hard without a parking brake.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks