• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parts

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received my boobed Duce this weekend, and the seller was less than honest which is my mistake. Now I need parts and dont want to select another crook.
I don't know if I want my Deuce to have boobs. :grin:

Sorry you're having issues. I always preview my GL vehicles now after very hard lessons learned, but never expected you would have to preview one from a specialty seller. On second thought, he's a "used car salesman"- as many of us are here, but I like to think most of us here are honest.

bassetdeuce

Before I got it off the truck you could see the usual leaks from an old truck everywhere: Oil pan, fuel control, transfer case, transmission, rt brake drum, rt headlamp inop, rt wiper inop, missing some lugnuts, parking brake inop (out of adjustment), various air leaks, old fogged up mirrors, and rust everywhere.
Actually, that sounds typical of most GL trucks. Sorry you feel you got ripped off, but there are a lot of BSrs out there. I think the "buyer beware" attitude that many have with GL needs to be also used when dealing with individuals, as you found out. I recommend dealing with Brett at Boyce Equipment. He is the most helpful person I have ever dealt with in tracking down the odd part here and there.

2Deuces wild

Sorry to hear about your buy.:cry: I would call and ask if he needs glasses. Saturn surplus, Alfa heaven, OD, and E bay is were I shop.
I had around 2000 dollars worth repairs my first year so I understand.
I hope all goes well on the repairs. Kalen:-D P.S. I hope you Didn't buy if from a guy in Apply Valley Ca?

Attachments

monkeythumbs

I don't know if you care to comment, but how do you like those rims? I saw the e-bay add and wondered how you could take the lugnuts off. They look difficult to remove, or are the pictures just taken from a bad angle.

fulleraviation

Thanks for all the replys on parts. I have bookmarked all of them.

The wheels look good, and I did not have much problem taking off the lugnuts.

UPDATE: Talked to the builder finally. He is going to send me some parts to fix some issues.

Basically he takes a GL bargin truck ($500 - to ?) Bobs it with a quicky paint job and sells it for $14,000. He didn't change any fluids but the brake fluid because of the chop job and put in DOT 3.

After hearing this I went out and got oil filters and a bucket of GL-5 80-90 gear oil. Drained loads of water and crap out of the fuel filters. Changed engine oil, front axle full of water and crap. Changed the transmission gear oil. Then moved to the transfere case. When I drained it, out came gear oil and several pieces of what looks like bearing cage material that is magnetic.

I really do not know what to do. I feel sadden by this whole ordeal. I have a GL account and could have easily bought a high dollar truck for $2,000 and chopped it myself and had plenty of cash to repair any issues. I thought I was getting a turn key operation for at least awhile with this purchase.

Here is a link to the Ebay AD: 197 M35a2 Deuce and a Half Hummer Crusher Monster Mud :eBay Motors (item 150355110296 end time Jul-03-09 08:19:33 PDT)

I do take some of the responsibilty.... What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Rutledge

mikew

One of my other hobbies/addictions is messing with old cars, mostly Jaguars.

There is an organization of Jaguar car clubs called "JCNA". I've purchased several cars off of e-bay, and I always have contacted a club in the area of the e-bay car I was buying to get a club member to do an inspection. Most of the time they were already familiar with the car and seller, but always would give me an unbiased viewpoint on the condition of the vehicle.

I'm here in Oklahoma, USA (about 15 miles from where this truck was built) and just recently did an inspection on a 1959 XK-150 for a guy in Finland! He purchased the car and had it shipped back to Europe.

My point is; the members of this website are located all over the world. If you're buying something that is too far for you to do an inspection, I'm sure someone on steelsoldiers.com would gladly do an inspection for you. I think you'd just have to ask!

In the case of this truck, I know of several steelsoldiers.com members within just a few miles of where this truck was, me being one of them, that would have gladly inspected it.

If you're worried that the person who inspects it for you will buy your "barn find" out from under you, I guess it could happen. But over the years I found that most people in the car hobby (and that would include the MV hobby) are pretty honest, straight shooters.

Mike Waldron

mikew

I looked at your e-bay link, and I do know these guys.

Their primary business is a salvage yard for European sports cars. I've purchased lots of Jaguar parts and a couple of wrecked cars from them. Overall they are decent folks.

I will say that one of the things they do is "rebuild" wrecked cars, lots of Porsche's and such, for re-sale. The rumor I've always heard is they are shinny on the surface but the rebuild might be a little sub-standard.

I think you got 3 options:

1. Return the truck for a refund and try again.
2. Ask for a partial refund to cover repairs.
3. Work with what you got!

By the way, I had bearing cage in my transfer case. The bearings for the low speed gear on the input shaft failed. The low gear free-wheels on the input shaft when in high. I don't think the bearings up there get lubricated all that well, mine were rusty too. Not too hard to fix.

Mike Waldron

fulleraviation

Thanks Mike. That is good information, and hope that future buyers do ask for assistance.

These guy's seem nice enough and I hope they work with me. Shipping costs to ship the vehicle back in my opinion would equal cost of most of the repairs.

Do you think it is an emergency to tear into the transfere case, or is it ok to run it for awhile? It seems to work, but obviously not good to have cage material fall out.

I wanted to tackle the leaking axles and brake issues first.

Thanks

mikew

You probably will be ok with your transfer case for awhile.

Mine had a loud whine. I drove it until the noise changed suddenly. At that point I had balls, not cage, in the fluid!

So, if the sound changes, I'd stop real soon!

Mike Waldron