• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patracy's "SEMTT"

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:tigger:

That truck is like a hemorrhoid, kind of disturbing at first but then it grows on you.
For some strange reason I feel like I need one of those!!:shrugs:
What P. B. a hemmorrhoid? :shock:

Sorry I could not resist. :oops:

Denny
Er....no...I've had those...no fun at all. The SEMMT thingy would HAVE to be more fun!:patracy:

Uh...

To quote former President Richard Millhouse Nixon:
"I have only THIS to say about THAT...."
:papabear:
PB's Hemi-Roid Dance

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Haven't done much to the SEMTT, but I have been enjoying it. Also I removed a bunch of drums from the bobber. (Sold it) I'm sure this is completely osha approved and safe. Because I dropped a drum in the process... Onto the ground about 2ft. My fault I stumbled and grabbed the boom down lever.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So the SEMTT had the longest hardball run this week to the GA Rally and back. Went there and back no real problems, but I did have the emergency cut off valve form a fracture that started leaking about 70 miles from home. I kept on pushing it and made it home no problem. (Well it did act like it was going to stall at stops, but I threw it in neutral and kept the RPMs up) Got home and it split completely in two when I touched it! Thank goodness that happened in the driveway!

Anyhow, it has opened my eyes to a few things...

Good things:
It's quiet (relatively speaking of course), all the noise it behind you and the muffler is hidden behind the crane.
It's cooler, again all the heat is behind you.
It gets countless thumbs up on the road. I'm serious. Like a thumbs up or a wave ever other mile or so on the interstate. Just wow...

Bad things:
Bridge expansion joints at high speed HURT. The air ride shocks aren't doing much of anything. I'm going to take this a different route. Either a four link setup with airbags, or a air bag setup from a semi rear, or coilover shocks with remote reservoirs and ability to tune it with nitrogen.
The "S" in SEMTT is true. I have a HT3B setup from a big cam laying around. Since the "big trip" is over, I can start tinkering with that once football season is over for my son. I think another 50hp or so will keep her rolling along nicely.
My rear view camera is useless with a trailer. I have another camera I was planning on mounting towards the crane mast so I could spot myself. I'm going to play around with the second camera to see if I can position it so I might be able to do both.

More to come in the coming weeks.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My youngest son had tubes put in and his adenoids removed this AM. So I took the day off. I did a little wrenching today. Got the exhaust manifold swapped and the turbo on and oil/return lines plumbed up, as well as the coolant lines taken care of. Tomorrow afternoon, I'll try to get into the rocker boxes and plug the ports as well as swap the intake and reroute the plumbing from the filter.

IMAG3862.jpgIMAG3863.jpgIMAG3864.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, a later start to it today as well. I didn't get started turning wrenches until about 4-5pm today. I wrapped up about 30 mins ago. Anyhow the intake is swapped, crossover installed. My heads had the port in them, but they were sealed. From what I saw in other posts, the intake ports were flat with a port in the center of them. Mine has a very pronounced hump in the center of them. I tried shooting air through it as well, nada. So I continued on. The front engine hoist mount interfered slightly with my intake crossover. But a 5lb sledge convinced it to play nicely. (I had thought about grinding it, but it's already thin up there. If I had to use it, I wouldn't want 2500+lbs swinging from a ground down hoop.

Tomorrow I've gotta finish up the exhaust. I'm going to have to redo a little bit on the downpipe and the muffler. Yes, I'm keeping a muffler on it. Also I've gotta plumb up the boost gauge and mount it. (The MK48 cab had a Hyd temp gauge that I'm not going to use) I'm also going to figure out a EGT gauge pod as well. But for now, I plan on just leaving whatever stock button in it and seeing how it runs. I also need to plumb up the intake from the filter. I'm going to use a aluminum pipe I have plus some 90* elbows I have.

Oh and I've gotta refill the coolant system. Anyhow, maybe tomorrow afternoon I'll get to drive it.

IMAG3867.jpgIMAG3869.jpgIMAG3870.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Anyone know the button a Formula 290 engine ran? I have an assortment of buttons. But looking at the 654cr raitings, I probably should keep the engine at 300hp and 950ft-lbs max.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
uploadfromtaptalk1413760559276.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413760575739.jpg

I swapped the Hyd Temp gauge for a boost gauge I had laying around. The intake plumbing took a few times to get it right. I had it straight across, but that'd have been right in the way of the oil fill cap. The truck made about 4psi of boost at governed high idle in neutral.

I still have a lot more to do. I need to swap a 4" band clamp I used for now. (It was a left over and sligtly warped) I also need a 4" exhaust clamp for that part right at the turbo. I've got some header paint to coat all of it next as well. Once I get a EGT gauge and probe, I'll start playing with the buttons.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I totally did but you won't like it.

35 is the number on the buttons on my 290 powered locomotives. Seems really off, as Ron said 800 series 5tons used 27 stock. Might be because mine run close to 1800rpm under load for the generators (diesel electric)

Sorry, probably not much help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks