• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PeeWee's M1009 Build Thread

PeeWeeQ

I also made a handy-dandy binder for maintenance records and receipts, notes, references from the Sticky, common procedures, cheat sheets, electrical diagrams, and an ever-evolving parts list...
20160404_224554[1].jpg20160404_224724_001[1].jpg

GunnyM1009

Looking good PeeWee you are further along than me. I have had mine for 2yrs and really just this year started trying to fix it up. Told the wife I wasn't putting it off any longer. The reason I love her is because she was completely fine with that and told me I deserve to get my truck in good shape.

PeeWeeQ

LOL... My wife has about had it with me. I've been at it for a couple months steady with the front/rear end swap.... Time for a break soon...

PeeWeeQ

Got the fuel pump done. I added a normally on switch in the engine compartment that I can turn off, turn the ignition on, open up the bleeder, then, turn on the switch when I'm in position to catch fuel. It's also a nice security feature, if I wish to use it that way...
20160406_194525[1].jpg
Had to modify the mounts on the fuel pump to make it fit where I wanted it.
20160409_115809[1].jpg
Once I got it all done, it mounted up easily.
20160409_131859[1].jpg
I mounted it right inside the frame rail above the passenger's side rear tire, approximately 15 inches downstream of the fuel tank...
20160409_144522[1].jpg
The splice to the original fuel line off of the tank...
20160409_160234[1].jpg
Switch in the engine compartment right behind battery #2...

GunnyM1009

LOL... My wife has about had it with me. I've been at it for a couple months steady with the front/rear end swap.... Time for a break soon...
Yeah mine is always saying I should do more for myself so when I decide to she doesn't argue. Plus she wants it Gunny going right to. She likes riding in him to go to the local creeks and rivers.

PeeWeeQ

Tried to fire the beast up last night and killed the Batts trying. I bled the air and primed it good, fixed a teenie-tiny leak or two, but to no avail. Charged up the Batts (I love not needing to physically disconnect them because of the battery disconennects) and tried again this morning--lots of spinning, no fire. Then it dawned on me--I had disconnected the IP.... DUH! Hooked it back up, primed the lines for a few seconds, tried again, and VAROOOOM! IT'S ALIVE! Runs great, but, now back to the reality of my Gen 2 gremlin... (see my "Electrical" thread)....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

PeeWeeQ

Ooooh... I also ordered a B&M unimatic floor shifter ($125 shipped with coupon code TRT30 online at Advance Auto Parts--regular price is $173.99!). I decided to do it. I've got an old hand throttle for a Toyota I used to have that I never installed. I'm gonna put that on too...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

PeeWeeQ

Since I'm waiting on alternator parts for a few days for my Gen 2 gremlin, I decided to put my B&M Unimatic floor shifter in. It was really simple and the instructions are really detailed. It uses a cable system, so, you can mount it almost anywhere you want...

The thing right below the handle is a hand throttle that I ordered to put on a Toyota I used to have. I dug it out and put it on. I have the cable run and I just need a connector for the throttle assembly (I think it was meant for a Jeep)...I'll spend the next day or two finishing those up and putting the dash back together. Once the diode trio gets here, I'll be putting the alt back together and installing it...HOPEFULLY be driving it by the middle of the week....!
20160417_135107[1].jpg20160417_135121[1].jpg20160417_181043[1].jpg20160417_143030[1].jpg20160417_180942[1].jpg20160417_143057[1].jpg20160417_181006[1].jpg20160417_181047[1].jpg

PeeWeeQ

Well, Solved the Gen 2 gremlin--seems when I replaced the gen 2 relay when I first started having trouble, I had a bad relay out of the box. I replaced it on a whim and, WHOLLA!

Got the dash all back together, added some Mossy Oak seat covers, got the floor shifter mod all finished up, and mounted my Cobra 29 LX in the dash right above the ashtray. Now I need some 3.5 inch speakers for the dash and I'd like the 6 inch kick panel speakers I saw in LMC. I'm just glad it's all up and running again.

Next on the list is to change the tranny oil and filter (and add a drain plug), fix my oil leak, and start sanding and painting. I'm a busy man, so, I'm planning on painting one thing at a time (one fender, one door, hood, fiberglass cap, etc)...

howardc

Pics! Glad you got the Gen 2 sorted out, it's nice when you go to start it and actually know it's going to fire up!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks