• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Personal modifications- make my life easier

JOAT 0311

I think those ratings are accurate, but they are probably conservative. I've seen tow bars do amazing things. I suppose you could put some type of fold down or detachable "landing gear" if it was a concern. It is without a doubt a great setup and a nice truck. Good to see some pictures John!

KsM715

There was some discussion about gin poles in another thread. I think the outcome over the concern of the weight on the front was to use cribbing under the front frame/bumper to take the weight off the front tires and axle.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great. You might try running the gin pole guy cables over the cab back to the pintle. That's how I do mine. Looks like you have to roll down the window to open the door the way you have it now. Also, watch out for garage doors and low hanging power lines! Real easy to forget the poles are way up there.

I've lifted about 3000 lbs with my gin pole set up, the front springs get completely compressed.

baxter

6x6 great mods i really like the one for the tow bar does it ever seem to be in the way and do you have any close up pics of it.Thanks

Vaughn

6x6guy

As far as weight conserns on the front bumper, I have been looking into putting a hydraulic 12 volt pump with a
storage tank and valves with 2) detachable hydraulic rams placed into a welded cylinder placement behind the
bumper and placing the rams inside the cylinders with a quick disconect hoses and a steel plate cylinder receptical
base to prevent sinking in the soil.
With the placement of the hydraulics controls and body inside of the left side engine compartment access panel
But at present I just use 2) machinery jacks and seams to work for what I need.
But thats another project for another day.

Last edited:

tm america

I like the idea of where he has the cables routed to . Ya windows probably need to be down to open the doors,but you can keep the tailgate on and still use the pintle for towing..not to mention having to remove the cargo cover ..seems like a simple solution for a quick lift or two.nice mods... [thumbzup]

JOAT 0311

Hey John did you decide not to go under the bumper? That is pretty slick above the winch. I will have to try something like that on mine. It should help keep deer at bay too. You do nice work when you have free time. Too bad money and free time usually don't mix! it takes skill to have both at the same time.

6x6guy

It was bought to my attention that the bars were sightly in the way of the head light beam at night ( I don't drive
these trucks at night).. but you never know whats planed for us in the future. :roll:

6x6guy

The heater assembly come out of a 80ish chevy pickup. You'll have to make a 3 inch hole in the firewall to allow
the petruding motor to set past the firewall, and then 2) 1 inch holes for the heater core inlet and outlet connections.
There will be 4) 1/4 inch housing mounting bolts that also have to be drilled, once your done the assembly will fit
like a glove, like its made for it.
I'll try to take some pics and post next day or so, or might start another thread. :roll:

66Reo6X6

Thanks again. I have several chevy pickups from the mid 70's to the mid 80's so I just need to choose a donor. May be able to make a template from the pickup firewall to aid in locating the heater unit in the M35A2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks