• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

perspective deuce owner

Unforgiven

Perspective = the angle at which something is viewed.

PROSPECTIVE = possibility of happening in the future (like a prospector who's looking for gold ore in the mountains)

2cents

mudguppy

since no one else will take a new member serious in the chance that he/she is not some ubiquitous troll, i'll answer. :roll:

i've recently finished what you have suggested, everything except for a 'jake brake'. but with the discs, you won't need any other braking support.

... nv4500 2wd tranny (need the OD for highway speed and i believe the stock T-case is a divorced unit so a custom drive shaft and x member would be all i need) ...
it isn't that easy. you'll have to put the 'short' fixed yoke output from a GM NV4500 onto the rear of the Dodge NV4500, or use that style GM 4500 and change the input and clutch housing to the Dodge style.

however, you still won't have enough room to easily fit an intercooler in the engine compartment without interference from the headlight bucket/corner brackets. so you'll either have to
  • run the Cummins without an intercooler and utilize the deuce radiator,
  • use a ATW intercooler and mount remotely,
  • or do what i did and get rid of the headlight buckets/corner brackets. this took a good bit of work and required making a subframe to hold the IC and rad, plus making new grill supports and using electric cooling fans.
also, the custom jack-shaft that you'll have to get made will not be cheap. you'll have to assemble a 'yoke-shaft' assembly using no less than 1410 parts.

use the title search function with '5.9 cummins' and you'll find my build thread. (man, i need to update that thing...)

it's easy to replace the MF with a CTD, but not easy to do if you want it to be a powerhouse.

oh, and i think the 100 mile jaunts are manageable, but i would get tired of it quickly. over that distance and i agree that this is not the vehicle for long trips. [thumbzup]

91W350

If I read this post correctly, you are talking about running 6000 miles a month. I think by the end of the year the novelty would be gone and the deuce would not be nearly as attractive. I have been driving mine daily for about a month, it is a lot of work, but mine is stock. I did drive it 700 miles in two days without aches and pains so road tripping is possible. Only I was in the saddle for about 9 or 10 hours a day. Maybe a Freightliner is in your future?

Attachments

stampy

Agreed with the beat you to death note above. If I were you, I'd see what I could find cheap on GL (since you have mechanical skills) then I would drive it to make sure you love it before sinking a whole lot of money into it Then if you hate it you could sell it for pretty much what you had in it. Forgive my jaded brothers as we have lots of trolls who post stupid crap here. I do agree though based on what you want and need you could just find a deuce body and put it on a newer truck frame with ac good brakes and a smoother ride.

91W350

Not to mention all of the noises associated with a deuce. Not everybody likes to cruise with ear plugs in. I have not driven a lot of deuces, but the ones I have been in squeak, rattle, leak, and the wind blows through. It would take a large and in charge air conditioner to stay ahead of all the heat that rolls through the floor, firewall, doors.... Not to mention there is no conversation to be comfortably had at 45 mph in a deuce, much less 60 or 70. Most of the time I never can hear my phone ring, much less talk on it. You will have lots of time to clear your head....

jones20992

however, you still won't have enough room to easily fit an intercooler in the engine compartment without interference from the headlight bucket/corner brackets
Just Wondering, did you ever think of makeing a custom top mount IC like on a WRX or a Front/top mount like the H1 Alpha?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks