• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Photo upload issues are back

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to be able to select 3, 6, or even all 20 photos all at once and upload them. Now, sometimes if select more than one photo at a time nothing gets uploaded. Similar to what occurred previously the upload manager will "spin" and then stop and nothing will be uploaded. Unfortunately it doesn't do it every time. I seem to have better success if I select smaller numbers, like 2 photos.

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
Version: 1703
OS Build: 15063.540

Mozilla Firefox 55.0.3 (32-bit)

Photos are taken what by an iPhone 5S (what I have been using for the past 3.5 years)

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
s-l1600.jpgs-l1601.jpgs-l1602.jpgs-l1603.jpgs-l1604.jpgs-l1605.jpgs-l1606.jpgs-l1607.jpgs-l1608.jpg

Nine files uploaded at the same time, windows 10, same firefox. Not the greatest DSL connection.

Sounds like timeout. What size are the files you're trying to upload? What is your upload connection (not download)?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just tried 8 photos that I haven't uploaded before, a total size of 13.4 MB. The "Manage Attachments" window "spun" for almost exactly 20 seconds and nothing was uploaded (I tried twice, and timed it).

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not downsizing your pics before even trying to upload? They will be resized anyway - way down!
Because it's not a problem with my internet connection or picture size. It's a problem with Steel Soldiers. I literally have zero other image issues like I do here. Be that me e-mailing pictures, or posting items for sale on local, free KSL classifieds, on Craigslist, or any Facebook posts. All of those (except e-mailing at my PC) resize the images and all are issue free.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to support Valence on this one as I've mentioned this issue a while back but the solution was to "upload smaller photos". Anything more than 2 photos for me at a time, no matter the size, and it simply doesn't post to the up loader. This is a problem with SS and should be looked into.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm looking into this. I've been able to duplicate the issue. But unfortunately it's not as simple as "change this setting" to fix. There's several layers to uploading. The software the site uses (vBulletin), the webserver (apache), PHP (think of it as a middle man), then there's actual server file system/DB to work with. Then there's my curveball of security I have running.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've made some changes, please let me know if it makes any improvement. I have terrible internet at home. Like 0.89mbps upload, yes 0 point. (It's all I have until I get my tower up here and setup a link between here and my shop for 100mb) Anyhow here's 3 3mb images uploaded.

IMAG0144.jpgIMAG0145.jpgIMAG0146.jpg

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just tried to upload the same 8 images that I tried to upload yesterday, with no success. The Manage Attachments seemed to behave the same and stopped "spinning" after about 20 seconds.

Edit:
Dropbox link removed as the files were removed.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... I have terrible internet at home. Like 0.89mbps upload, yes 0 point.....
Ha... that's funny (spoiled child), you don't know how "tërrible" it can be... :cry:

If you care, I have placed the images in a folder in my Dropbox:
(link removed)
There you go.
Believe me, I really have a SLOW upload speed here... sometimes intermittent between slow and nothing at all. Even so it only took about 25 seconds for the upload process itself...

Attachments

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's nothing to be gained by uploading them elsewhere. Just need to know the file size. And upload connection.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's nothing to be gained by uploading them elsewhere. Just need to know the file size. And upload connection.
Well, the images are unmodified on Dropbox, and original file size and resolution are preserved - but I'm sure you knew that. I've removed them from Dropbox.

File sizes as reported by Windows: All are 4:3 landscape orientation with resolution of 3264x2448, except where noted
1,863 KB
1,630 KB
1,864 KB
984 KB (portrait: 2448x3264)
1,954 KB
1,658 KB
1,981 KB
1,838 KB

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There you go.
Believe me, I really have a SLOW upload speed here... sometimes intermittent between slow and nothing at all. Even so it only took about 25 seconds for the upload process itself...
What OS, Web Browser, Internet Service Provider are you using? I have trouble believing it has anything to do with upload speed unless latency is very high or the ISP. Barring those, it would then fall to Web Browser incompatibilities or, most likely, a server-side issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mass loading

I had trouble loading 10 pics at the same time so I load three, type a little, load three, type. 3 pics load fast, in 15 seconds or so, and I don't resize anything.

If I knew anything about computers I'd say the manifold that sucks in the pictures to resize them is stalling the large fuel mixture which times out and shuts down ignition. Try 3 pics at a time and you won't flood out the carb.

P8260351.jpgP8260353.jpgEK000085.jpg

Bighorn

View attachment 698301

That took seconds and I am using a C-crane wifi antenna to get a signal from the lodge 200 yards away which is on satellite internet atop a 9,000ft mountain plateau 30 miles from the nearest town with zero cell signal and while a coronal mass ejection is impacting the Earth's magnetosphere.
Nothing to see here.. move along.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, just a test, will not stay like that. Simply can't support growing filespace at that rate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks