• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up M816?

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes use a new temp hose from tank to filter... those 6 rubber hoses under the drivers seat crack and then suck air.. an it will not run with that air leaking... lets hope for the best, i hve a couple spare snatch blocks for a wrecker if you are lacking some Tim

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could not get fuel from tank even after I put air pressue in to the tank I have use this before to get fuel up to the IP on other trucks so I did not have to run the starter but this time could not get it even to the filter so like Doghead said the valve that lets you use right or left tank is not leting the fuel go through the lines I am going to run it from the tank with 1/2 inch rubber nose see if that works. It ran on starting fluid.
AEC Retired Tony

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK...I bet you are on the right track Tony...but just gonna ask...did you check to see if someone had pulled the emergency shutdown cable?
If so it HAS to be reset under the hood...pushing the cable back in won't do it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
As lothe as I am to admit it Murphy put a GA a$$wooping on me and Tony.
The first omen was trying to get a truck to jump start with. We tried just about everything on wheels inside the fence and finally got a CUCV to crank. It ran just long enough to get to the the wrecker and died, never to restart.
Finally a DRMO guy showed up with a running CUCV and we had power.
The batteries in the wrecker were too far gone to jump start so I swapped batts while Tony went for water to put in the radiator.
As Tony stated after cranking and trouble shooting we were still not able to get fuel to the IP.
I had the same issue with my 816 that came from Shelby. I had to bypass the tank switch and I swapped the stock canister filter with a spin on with drain valve. This may be as simple as the seals on the switch drying out and allowing air to be sucked into the system.
Unless you are going to make long trips running on the drivers side tank would not be an issue.
Tony, I hate it that we couldn't get the wrecker to your shop so you could have your way with it.
So now he has to wait til next Thursday to get his new baby home.:cry:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Now wait a minute WM...murphy was in my compound for the last two days and I have truck repair receipts to prove it:!:

Could it be that Murphy has a twin? Oh Lord...there may be many "Mini Murphy's":roll:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know out of all the recoveries Tony and I have done we NEVER did not complete the mission and get the truck/trailer home and this is one of the shortest ones. Wonder what changed, oh wait it was WM!:grin: Seriously, I just got back from Timtrucks place and looked at his 816 and 818. That selector valve looks like it's a PITA. I'll bet money if you bypass it, the truck will run.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is what I am working on how to buy pass the selector valve I sent timntrucks a pm to see if he could tell me what size fiting went in the fuel filter and if the fuel line at the tank were the same as a duce or what size that fiting is so I could make up a metal line to but the rubber bypass line on.
AEC Retired Tony

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
my line was bent and hard to work on, i cut it right after it came out of the fuel tank and right before the filter, replaced it with a rubber hose and clamps. i think it was 1/2" line, id take 3/8 and 1/2 about 5 ' long along with clamps with me. the only thing you will have to watch for , is once the truck is running make sure the return is going to the draw tank other wise you may have a spill. it will be easier to direct the return by the selector because it will be under pressure

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron is there any way you could pull it to rockmart for me I will be glad to pay you I am having a real hard time trying to find some body to get it here if I can't get it runing I called Eric hotshot trans.. but so far we can't seem to work that out. I am suppose to go bsck to Fort Gilliam Next thu. the 7th of Jan? to move it
Tony

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
got your pm tony... if you had a hole/crack in the line then the air pressure would not work .. it would just force air out of crack... you might have to double check to make sure the vavle is in the right posision for the tank you are working on.. like if the vavle was selected for the right tank then the fuel line coming out the left tank would not let anything thru...the way i found my leaky line was by putting air in the vent tube on tank and then seen the fuel leak out on top of the tool box.. but im thinking that you are building up pressure in the tank that is cut off..

1crook

Clinto has been hounding me about a wrecker for a long time now. We could take it off your hands Tony so you would not have to worry about the repair or recovery. :-D

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Tony...one more thought...you do Know that the L/R fuel switch on the dash is only for the gage.
The actual tank transfer lever is on the floor to the left of the driver's seat?

Did you try New Image transport/towing in ATL to get her hauled??

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had Maccus on the phone the day I try to pick it up he had the tm and told me that the switch on the dash only switched the gauge from right to left and the tank valve was left beside the driver sit by the door right by the parking brake. We were burning up the phones he was trying to help me figure out what was wrong not getting fuel. Like I said this is my first 5 ton I did not think about taking fuel lines I just took the things I take to pick up a duce and I have learn to take a lot of things that could make it not run or no brakes from wheel cylinder, oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, transmission fluid and tools of all kind
AEC Retired Tony