• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up my new to me 003

Jimc

Just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. I have been lurking for the past month while I was hunting down an 003. I finally found one and will be picking it up. It's already in good running condition but I'm sure ill have some questions for you guys. I used to work on these sets a little when I was in the army but that's going back 20 years and I remember nothing.

Isaac-1

Welcome, just remember never idle these, idling is the quickest way to kill the voltage regulator. Start it, get it up to speed right away, when your done using it, let it cool down at full speed then shut down.

Ike

storeman

Welcome aboard!

It used to be weeks/months before one was cleared to pick up a generator. What you got when the EUC was finally approved, often didn't resemble what you bid on. Much better for us generator freaks now.

BTW: just watched parts units go for higher prices than I've ever paid for a working unit. Does not bode well for the future. Again, welcome to the asylum.

Jerry :beer:

Jimc

actually i bought this one from a private seller. it does run and makes power but doesnt run well and needs to be gone through. the guy had the injectors rebuilt and checked by a company. he has new glow plugs and manifold heater but its hard to start and once it does get running there is tons of white smoke and after 5 min it shuts down. i am going to start by going through the fuel system. he did it but the fuel and inside of the the tank dont look so hot and he didnt know there were strainers in the fuel pumps.

storeman

"Going through" by the seller is obviously not the same as "going through' by the buyer. Hopefully you have the Tech Manuals. If not, go to this link and download them. They are free at links below Guru Speddman's signature.

"http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?94880-MEP-002a-and-MEP-003a-DC-Charging-System-Test"

Jerry :beer:

Last edited:

edgephoto

Start with a compression check. One of the members, NJ_Toolnut, makes an adapter for using the glow plug hole for compression checking. You want to make sure your engine is able to run properly. A compression check is the way to go. Send him an IM if you need an adaptor.

Jimc

edge, i was just reading that thread where he made the adapter. i'll keep that in mind. i will def need to do a compression check on it or pull the heads to check things out for my own piece of mind. its just finding valve cover and head gaskets.

jbk, i'll keep that in mind for sure. one step at a time for now i guess. i'll start going through the fuel system first to make sure all is clean.

edgephoto

edge, i was just reading that thread where he made the adapter. i'll keep that in mind. i will def need to do a compression check on it or pull the heads to check things out for my own piece of mind. its just finding valve cover and head gaskets.

jbk, i'll keep that in mind for sure. one step at a time for now i guess. i'll start going through the fuel system first to make sure all is clean.
I wouldn't pull the heads unless you have problems. Valve cover gaskets are available at Sears parts. At least according to some people here. A quick search will find it. I think LuckyDog was the person who found that out. A valve adjustment is certainly not a bad thing to do. I need to do it on mine. I will probably do it in the spring.

storeman

Believe the -24P has a cross reference in it. I'll leave the definitive answer to the pros. I just buy enough engines and used to buy enough units to just identify by sight and sell or swap. Salvaged a few good head gaskets that way but new ones can be had from Delks or Gulf Coast surplus.
Jerry

Jimc

yeah edge i just figured it out. the onan # is listed right in the manual. what screwed me up is the number in the manual is actually wrong for the valve cover gasket. typo i guess. manual says 115-0139 when its actually 115-0130. i looked up some other numbers like for the head gasket and they were correct. actually onanparts.com says they have the head gasket in stock but not the valve cover gasket. there is a guy on ebay right now with the valve cover gasket and says he has more than 10 avail. i have an email out to delks though too

Jimc

its been 20 years since i have looked through an army manual. i was mostly a hemtt mechanic but did a little work on these gen sets too.