• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

picks of my 25,000 dollar humvee project

BLK HMMWV

Welcome to the world of High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehicles.
It's yours so enjoy it however you want .
I love mine . Still can't figure out what it will eventually look like.
It's in 1046 configuration and still augmenting.
Was it a civi H1 or a military M998 or varient.
What year is it.
24v or 12v
You will end up spending a bunch more on it to return it to all it's glory.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder so have fun.:beer:
I think you may have payed a bit much for what you have but thats just me .
If your happy then that's all that matters.
I would have to agree you need to change out the wheels PDQ.

BH

jjramrod

I put the price because there's so many people on here trying to get a humvee for 10k or less and I wanted to show what 25k bought me and outs not just a frame and shell it runs and drives as is all it would need to be on the road right now would be the lights hooked up I just don't want to leave it set up as a hot rod and as far as the engine I can adjust a 4bt 3.9 to put just as much as a 5.9 and get better mileage and keep engine temperature lower I have owned many 5.9 cummings inter cooled non intercooled 12 valve and 24 valve even owned a turbo charged super charged intercooled 24 valve with a electronic boost controler and a jake brake got to admit I miss that one a bit sold it so I could get the humvee but I have only owned one 4bt 3.9 and I got to say it impressed me with no modifications it could pull a duall axle equiptment trailer up the poconos mountains in cruise at 75 no problem and that's enough power for anyone and that motor had over 300k on it at that time and I've allready bought slow miles 4bt and will be installing it

spicergear

Two complete trucks on eBay right NOW (07.10.11) for under $30,000 complete. There are also some for over $100,000. Usually there's an H1 in the $25K to $35K range. Type in humvee in the eBay search box.

jjramrod

ebay

I have seen many on ebay but I have looked at many also and they had very rusty under carriages or rusted out frames witch were my main concearns I considered buying a complete stock one but I didn't find and with drivetrains as nice as the one I bought and it would of been a shame to rip apart a stock humvee so I found just about exactly what I was looking for as the entire frame and axle assemblies are dam near mint with all original paint and basically no rust at all and im Shure everyone will agree the frame and drive train make the vehicle and you can't get better than what I received the body may look like crap but the important things are in fantastic shape and it ain't nothing paint wont fix

wikallen

I put the price because there's so many people on here trying to get a humvee for 10k or less. I wanted to show what 25k bought me and thats not just a frame and shell. It runs and drives as is all it would need to be on the road right now would be the lights hooked up. I just don't want to leave it set up as a hot rod.

As far as the engine, I can adjust a 4bt 3.9 to put out just as much as a 5.9, get better mileage and keep engine temperature lower. I have owned many 5.9 cummings, inter cooled and non intercooled, 12 valve and 24 valve. I have even owned a turbo charged, super charged, intercooled, 24 valve with an electronic boost controler and a jake brake. I got to admit, I miss that one a bit. I sold it so I could get the humvee.

I have only owned one 4bt 3.9 and I got to say it impressed me with no modifications. It could pull a duall axle equiptment trailer up the poconos mountains in cruise at 75, no problem. That's enough power for anyone and that motor had over 300k on it at that time. I've allready bought a low mile 4bt and will be installing it

I have seen many on ebay but I have looked at many also. They had very rusty under carriages or rusted out frames which were my main concerns. I considered buying a complete stock one but I didn't find any with drivetrains as nice as the one.

I bought it and it would of been a shame to rip apart a stock humvee. I found just about exactly what I was looking for as the entire frame and axle assemblies are dam near mint with all original paint and basically no rust at all. I am sure everyone will agree the frame and drive train make the vehicle. You can't get better than what I received. The body may look like crap but the important things are in fantastic shape and it ain't nothing paint wont fix

It was driving me nuts, so I had to spend 2 minutes to fix these for you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture, pictures, pics....

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was driving me nuts, so I had to spend 2 minutes to fix these for you.
I just realized what you did here. It took me second. :doh:

I know spelling and grammar don't count on SS, but dam* jjrr, punctuation man! Punctuation! :razz:

Good luck with your build, and don't forget to post more pics!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just realized what you did here. It took me second. :doh:

I know spelling and grammar don't count on SS, but dam* jjrr, punctuation man! Punctuation! :razz:

Good luck with your build, and don't forget to post more pics!
Actually, it does count on SS, as the rules state.

• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read!

jjramrod

ok

Sorry about that guys. Your right about using propper grammar and it is a pain on a phone. But I will try to remember that from now on. On that subject though it was wrong even after being corrected. Here is what I mean.

"I considered buying a complete stock one but I didn't find any with drive trains as nice as the one."

Does that make sense? It was supposed to be "as nice as the one I bought" but since it wasn't. It would of been just as easy to change it to (as nice as this one). But thanks for the help ill post more pictures soon.
:beer:

jjramrod

ford huh

Well its a nice reliable engine ill give you that. Owned two and never had to do anything but a fuel filter and alternator. Now the bad thing about them they take alot of juice to start, they guzzle fuel (18 mpg), and the high end power sucks. A 4bt will pulpit backwards without trying but thanks for the suggestion.

big block 88

I think you should be really different and put a 6.9 Ford Powerstroke in it.... :lol: That would make people talk!

I'm such a trouble maker.!"

6.9 Powerstroke huh...... Do you mean 6.9 IDI, or 7.3 IDI, or 7.3 Powerstroke, 6.4 Powerstroke, 6.7 Powerstroke The 6.4 and 6.7 powerstrokes are common rails so I would avoid them in the name of simplicity, but the power capability is definately there but they would be $$$$ an old HPOP 7.3 Powerstroke woould be reliable and make decent power but no where near what even the 3.9 4bt can deliver.

The 4bt is a great motor don't get me wrong but the 3.9 4bt will max out at around 800 hp and the reliability will suffer the 5.9 6bt is proven reliable up to and pass 1000 hp.

But hey if you got a 4 bt sitting around I say use give it some fuel, larger injectors, intercool it, water meth and maybe a small spray of NO2. Then that little fella will scream.

Keep us posted on the build I think it will be a nice rig.

jjramrod

wow hold your horses

Im going for mileadge and power. If I wanted to just burn the tires off I would just leave the hot rod motor in. I want miles per gallon not gallons per mile. I will be raising the hp but I will balance horsepower with mileage for the perfect mix.