• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

picks of my 25,000 dollar humvee project

abh3

Wow, what a thread. Let the guy be for buying what he wants and spending what he did on it, seems like every time I buy something all my buddies THEN tell me about a better one their neighbor has that they want to basically give away to tidy up their place... That being said, I wish I had a buck for every "600hp SBC" that turned out to be a plain-jane 2V cast-iron head/manifolds smog-motor, I've got a neighbor who claims his carpet installation van (not running at present) has a "full race" roller cam, roller rocker, forged piston high compression beast under that 2 barrel rochester & iron manifold :p

The main concern I have with HMMWVs is about titling. During my fight with the Great State of Alabama over titling my M35A3 (successful I might add) there was plenty of discussion about US Code and Code of Alabama. I was told by one of their attorneys there was NO WAY a military HMMWV could be titled due to the way the US Code was written vs. Code of Alabama. This would be the case despite having a valid out of state title or even an ALABAMA title you wished to transfer, EEK! :shock: This was more of an FYI moment since this guy seemed to understand the hobby, I guess he didn't want to hear from me again if I bought some HMMWV that had fallen through the cracks into civilian hands, LOL! My suggestion is to do that kind of research first so as to avoid disappointment and frustration... fat lady sings

BLK HMMWV

JJ
Just from my own observation here on SS over the short time I have been a member I have come to the conclusion that most everyone on here is trying to keep there vehicles in pretty much original condition. While some like myself don't care about it being restored to showroom condition I try not to bolt on things that are outside the box so to speak. So you will inevitably keep running into people giving you a hard time here compared to if you were asking and posting all your questions on something like a off road vehicle or 4X4 board.

BH

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
might be easier to put your body on a 3/4ton dodge frame. There is a thread of such a build over on the G503

jjramrod

I don't really like hack jobs. Especially when someone puts a humvee body on a pos dodge or any other truck. A humvee should be all stock except for the engine and tranny because of their lack of power. I love humvees and just want to make mine my own._

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been my understanding that a HMMWV will always fail at the final drives, if given more power and or speed.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been my understanding that a HMMWV will always fail at the final drives, if given more power and or speed.

This esp. true of the older trucks.

No offense to the original poster but what you are planning is considered a hack job by most people. A better option might be to go with a duramax and auto tranny. This is a combination that did come in the last year of the H1

I think whatever you go with an auto may be best. The way the body is laid out does not lend itself very well to a manual without some sort of substantial mod to the linkaage. However I'm sure it can be done.

You will need to ugrade the halfshafts at least to handle the extra power. Probably much more.

Last edited:

koolex11

I just read the whole thread, and this attacking of the guy over price is annoying. I started coming to SS because everyone seemed very helpful, but now I'm not so sure. Kind of disappointing.

JJ: Just post pics of your progress, dude. That's what everybody likes to see. Then shoot a YouTube video of you tearing up a 1009 in a bog or climbing a cliff in a hurricane and quiet everybody!

But first change those ugly rims! 2cents

jjramrod

I mean I will not be cutting and modifying anything original to the humvee. I will just be up grading things I am going to fix the half shaft problem I plan to have custom syo shafts to take their place. I plan on making this humvee stronger than any other ever built. With the exception of horsepower.

Flyingvan911

I say do research and do what you think it best. Some people will think it's great and some will think you are nuts. If it's safe and you like it, that's what counts.

jjramrod

data plate

Ok I figured out how to get the faded data plate so I could read it. Use air tool oil spread on plate and wait 4-5 days. Then use a flash light off to the side to get just the right amount of light. It will make you be able to read it even through scratches. Found out mine is a m998 according to the plate.