• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics from Training!!!

Green_gator

Another advantage to entering slowly is that if you do get stuck you generally are not nearly as far in to the muck. I know that they can go with water almost to the intake as long as you drive slowly. Learned that lesson the hard way at Hohenfels many moons ago.

This is good training for when those new guys get shipped over here or to Afghanistan, cause you will be dealing with a 12-14K pound armored 1151 and when it gets stuck, thats it...you can't just pull it out like you can a slick skin truck...And if you are taking fire...well........

The best training anyone can get is hands on, on the job training...

dilvoy

I agree that driving that humvee off road and even into the mudhole is good training. Not everyone has off road or dirt road driving experience and there is nothing like doing something to get a feel for it. That Humvee is a tool to be used. Go at it!

SGT Flesh Hammer

I think its great training for the FNG's they need to learn the limits of the equipment they use, plus hands on recovery training is better than any book can teach, has no one here ever gone to H8 recovery school? This is a small hole, compared to what the instructors at the school bury those vehicles in. And lastly it teaching the #1 rule of getting stuck THE STUCKY GETS IN THE WET/MUDDY HOLE TO HOOK UP THE TOW STRAP. Good training, its always more fun on drill weekend to learn recovery procedures than on some tiny road in BFE Iraq, TRUST me not the place to teach FNG's (long story) [thumbzup]

nspctr1

I was watching the TV show "dirty jobs" when they showed them pulling a 998 out of a hole using ropes and blocks. I was wondering if there is a thread or website that you can pull up to learn more about it. I obviously didn't go through recovery training but then again, I was in the AF in the early 80's before hmmwv's. Not that that matters.

KsM715

nspctr1, Go to the top of the page and click on the resources button, the click on Tech. Manuals. Find FM 20-22 and FM 5-125. Theres alot of good info in there.

emr

Thanks for posting and way to go !!!!!! that makes for good days, and the best way to learn is all wet !!! As for the vehicles they are awseome, the only weak point in them is there motor, there are alot of opinions, but they are no way high mile diesels from the factory, the new 6.5s are truly awesome that are repowering the humvees here. they move and are tough, Now i would own a 6.2 for sure, they just were about the worse diesel made. BUT I am in love with all military vehicles and all that makes em what they are. Thanks for your service also.!!!!!!!!!!!!...randy

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first time may have been training, the 2nd time was IMHO intentional "possible" destruction of Goverment Property, I can say witout any hesitation that you would not treat your Personal HMMWV or POV the same way. Hydrolock the Engine 2 times?
Please.....This equipment is Paid for as you know by all Tax payers, The Goverment is **** near Broke....Not gonna try to rag to hard hear...I just don't like see Goverment property destroyed for the sake of Having fun....I know for a fact that those You-Tube Videos of Troopers in Kuwait and Iraq Jumping the Slantbacks all got severe reprimands and I even heard garnishment of wages....Nuf said.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Say what you want.....I do beleive in "train as you Fight" but there are excpections to destroying equipment.
If I took your BS approach we would have balled up every **** Balckhawk, Huey and ****hook I flew on...Just in training. If you were even in the Military you would know there are acceptable and unacceptable risks to take in a training excercise.
So just what did you teach these soldiers? How to go through a big mud puddle the WRONG way! and then Hydro lock a Motor.
I may as well lodge a bullet half way down the barrel of my M4 and put another live round behind it to prove that the barrel has really been proof tested, I can do Full Power off auto-rotations to show that the Pilot knows when to pull in his last bit of Power before he crunches the Aircraft.......Again...These are all just my Opinion...and we all have one.

claycore

Sticking two vehicles during two days of off-road drivers training is not a big deal. How many times did the students successfully transit the course during the two days? There are always some students that don’t get it as fast as others. That doesn’t equate to intentional destruction of government property!

You should have seen our drivers training class for the M113 during AIT at Ft. Leonard Wood – in the snow and ice – I swear I never aimed for those trees! :lol:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was only concerned with the "Hydro-Locking of the motor....I have no issue with the driver course. I was also in Armor, M-1's, M113 etc....I know all about running stuff over...But I know some Moron who also Swamped an M88 as well and that M88 had to be completly gutted.

sandcobra164

Most actually made it through that hole but it was the deepest and if you entered too quickly, you'd stall the motor and literally be dead in the water. It's hard to teach the infantry troops that concept but they all should be pretty familiar with it after this weekend. It was just a coincidence that it happened twice to the same truck. We were swapping crews around all weekend long and had 3 trucks running the course at a time.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

mahdey,
Negative, this was localized training at a predetermined site. It's a hangout for the locals that like to run their machines hard and they thoroughly enjoyed seeing the troops run the HMMWV's through area's that they could not imagine making it through. Heck, we may even have some work for the recruiter's after this past weekend as many of the civilians wanted to know how they could get involved in some of this training. That's the only down side to the weekend warriors, we have to improvise on training sites on occasion as we don't have access to some of the sites the active component has. Oh well, mud is mud and after all of the rain here in our area, we had plenty of that.