• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of my singled 5-ton with 16-20's - just finished!

dma251

Well, this project has been a royal pain, but it is done - 3 trips to Montana, close to $3000 and a totalled pickup truck later....

I am trading my old wheels and tires for a bed mounted crane that I'll mount in the right front corner of the cargo bed. It should be really handy for raising/lowering the spare or cargo, since there is NO WAY I'm getting anything up in there by hand....

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Pics of my singled 5-ton with 16-20

Ooooh...nice seats....

To say that the truck looks good is an understatement...

That makes me want an M813 now.... :D

dma251

I've got a second recaro for the passenger side, too - but I've been so busy with the tires I haven't had a chance to mount it. The pass. side spring base used to be on the driver's side.

Right now I have no bounce in the driver's seat because I removed the spring so I could install a Bostrom airseat spring, but haven't finished it yet. The Recaro is so comfortable, you almost don't even need a suspension seat.... (but not quite;)

citizensoldier

Nice!!! Fording kit,super singles,drop side,800 series, and nice paint job. Very well done..
Only one thing. That spot between the bumber and radiator looks kinda lonely if you know what I mean?? [thumbzup]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

What kind of seat is the passenger seat? Looks interesting!

alphadeltaromeo

That looks amazing! Excellent looking truck. I like the color scheme and the wheels/tires...my oh my. Looks GREAT!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

:drool: Must have 5 Ton! :drool:
That looks great, nice paint job. And the tires are awesome!

M1075

Wow, the wheels and truck look great! Now where did you find that midget to pose with your truck?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Pics of my singled 5-ton with 16-20

M1075 said:
Wow, the wheels and truck look great! Now where did you find that midget to pose with your truck?
:funny:

Jones

Fantastic job!! My compliments.
I'm thrashing out the last little details on my spare tire crane for the baby HEMTT; will post some pictures as soon as it's light enough to take them. If your bed mounted crane doesn't work out I'd be glad to share ideas and dimensions on mine-- if it looks like something that would do you good.

dma251

Re: RE: Pics of my singled 5-ton with 16-20

M1075 said:
Hah! This midget is 5'11" tall! (six feet if I'm talkin' to the ladies...:) )

The passenger seat is just my old driver's seat. I think it is considered a highback. It's not near enough of a highback, though. When I first bought the truck I was cruising along and leaned my head back to ease a stiff neck... At that moment I hit a bump and the seat bounced the top of my head right into one of the cab's rear crossmembers.... It was that moment right then I decided to get some decent seats with head/neck support.
In the near future I plan on lifting the cargo box 2" to increase the rear wheel clearance. It looks real easy by adding 2 14' 2"x2" steel tubes between the bed's frame and the wooden insulator pad on the truck's frame. I'll use 1" welds along the side to hold in place and add 2" longer bolts to hold it all down.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm picking up the winch next week...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Pics of my singled 5-ton with 16-20

Interesting! If you get rid of that seatback I''d be interested in it, never seen one like it. Kinda looks liike a HEMTT seatback.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

That's quite impressive! What is the road speed vs RPM like with the big tires?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Now that's what I'm takin' about. I was just drooling over a 5 ton on G.L. and thought "just finish your first project"...now you got me all worked up again.