• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of new toy and help with identification.

FeeksTactical

Hello and thanks for such a great site. Just registered here and just bought my first Deuce and a half last night. Got the bug from lurking on here for many weeks.

It is 1966 Kaiser Jeep Manufactured and I believe it to be an M109??? something. Someone please verify if I am correct. It has 8623miles and about 6200hrs. 465 / non turbo.

Runs good when started, tires are real nice and not dry rotted, cab is in good shape, Very little rust underneath considering. Canvas top is toast as are the seats, but over all it appears good. I paid $3000

Is it an M109?? for sure and do you guys think I got a good deal on it???

Thanks,
John
20130908_154033.jpg20130908_154123.jpg20130908_154229.jpg20130908_154820.jpg

Last edited:

FormerNewMVGuy

Its a 109, and maybe my eyes are bad, BUT it doesn't look like the filter cans are in place on the secondary filters? And if there are no filters on it how did you run it?
Also its got the old style 25 amp genny on it.

The truck as a whole looks real good though, and the price doesn't seem bad for a runner. It does run ?

FeeksTactical

Yes I had the filters off to check/clean them before I started it up. It ran about 3yrs ago so I wanted to make sure they were ok, just happened to take the picture while they were off getting cleaned. I had to swap out the fuel tank pump as the impeller wouldn't turn. It runs good though.

FeeksTactical

Congrats on the truck and welcome to the green disease! I think you got a heck of a deal ,how did you find it? :beer:
I own a gun shop in my home town and had a gentlemen in ordering a suppressor. Lots of small talk later he just mentions, "hey, sounds like you like military hardware, you know anyone looking for a deuce and a half??"

My reply was quick and to the point "As a matter of fact, I do know someone", lol

That evening I went, looked at it, shook hands and brought him money the next day.

HASSON1911

Nice truck, better get a hard top anyways!:-D And 3k is a good deal seeing how the most important parts are good, I Believe its a m109a3. Because the 109 on the m35a3 chassis were M109a4. Congrats on the "new" truck!

TMNT

Yes I had the filters off to check/clean them before I started it up. It ran about 3yrs ago so I wanted to make sure they were ok, just happened to take the picture while they were off getting cleaned. I had to swap out the fuel tank pump as the impeller wouldn't turn. It runs good though.
At least you know we're paying attention. Looks like you got a good deal there.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
VIN is stamped in the frame on the left side behind front tire. There is also a data plate on the dash on the right side which if original, should tell alot!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The data plate you are looking for is in the first picture. Above and left of the glovebox.

Congrats on you first purchase. More are sure to follow..... :)

FeeksTactical

Ok so i checked the plate and i got a surprise. M185A3. There are large benches along both walls and a million drawers under them. Antenna tuners on the wall, antenna mounts on the cab and testers in the drawers. Looks like i got a comm truck... as i am a ham operator i am stoked. Now the question comes, do I restore it to a comm truck or do a BOV like I planned? Decisions. Decisions.... what do you guys think?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Restore it.

Neat ride-lots of early stuff. Sprag, early non-overdrive shifter, 25A generator, early turn signals, etc.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Restore it.

Neat ride-lots of early stuff. Sprag, early non-overdrive shifter, 25A generator, early turn signals, etc.
Exactly. This is what nice deuces looked like when they were surplused in the 1980's. Vinyl tops, air shift, and turbos were few and far between. Most of the time they came from cannibalization points and you had to reassemble one from several.