• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pinky, my M1009, is down for the count

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they do total it, (they will) make sure you are able to buy it back for salvage value.

o1951

Not completely true. His insurance company owes you a 'like replacement' of your vehicle. That means similar condition, mileage, and options list, or a check for the value of same. .

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SETTLE FOR LESS THAN YOU FEEL YOUR VEHICLE IS WORTH.

Insurance Company is required to restore your damaged property to a 'pre-loss' condition or compensate you for the value of your loss. They will try to pay as little as possible, you want market value.
Joe
Right - exactly what I said - restore to pre accident condition - make you whole.

o1951

If they do total it, (they will) make sure you are able to buy it back for salvage value.
That gets tricky - unless he just wants the parts. In some states, the ins co is required to stamp the title "Salvage" or "Scrap", to prevent unscrupulous from pasting together a wreck and selling it to unwary. That is supposed to stop anyone from registering it again.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He has already said he wants all the parts off the truck. Buying it back as a parts truck would be a wise decision.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not completely true. His insurance company owes you a 'like replacement' of your vehicle. That means similar condition, mileage, and options list, or a check for the value of same. They cannot give you just any 1984 Blazer, or 'Blue Book' value for one.

I'm familiar with how auto ins works. I was a manager of a claims office for 10 years. His vehicle, a 1985 CUCV 1009 Blazer, can be purchased on the open RETAIL market for less than what it would take to repair his. No one said he should take less than what it's RETAIL value is but that doesn't mean he can just say "I'm not settling unless you fix it" (which isn't something Pawnshop would do any way).

In the state of TX you are allowed to retain salvage of your vehicle if you choose to and they have to give you a realistic salvage value, or what it would bring at auction from places like COPART or IAA. They'll then simply deduct that value from whatever the offer is. Yes they can have the title branded as salvage but that takes extra effort on the part of the adjuster and rarely gets done unless the vehicle is something of high value or the damages are largely cosmetic.

They also owe him the cost of transportation until the total loss offer is made and contrary to popular belief and made for TV movies they do not have to provide him with another CUCV or Blazer or 4x4 for a rental. In TX they're required to offer reasonable "transportation" which, if they wanted to be extreme a**holes could be bus fare - don't blame me, that's the statute. Since he has a bodily injury claim that is going to cost them some money and they want to keep him in a good mood about things I'm sure they'll pony up for at least a mid-sized rental (Pawnshop is a tall guy so a subcompact or compact isn't really in their best interests).

Given he has a verifiable, medically diagnosable injury (not an "oh, my neck hurts" claim), and the impact was severe, any difference in what he gets for the 1009 and what he feels he should have gotten for it can be argued and made up during the BI negotiation. The property damage is pretty cut and dried and both sides can argue it with documentation on prior sales or current vehicles on the market. The injury claim is much more fluid.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mark for that info.

Now per the Forum rules, we need to NOT talk about any damage claims, lawsuits, injury claims, etc. It may also be wise for Pawnshop to not post any details until it is settled.

JGBallew

He said "they told me my light was green", I did not ask who "they" were. Both his airbags deployed and he said that hurt but he did not appear injured in any way and refused treatment.
You need to tell him ' "They" just told me my truck was valued at $500,000. Pay more attention when driving, and less to "they".'.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alas, poor Pinky! I have many miles logged in that passenger seat, and even a few in the drivers seat. Good old truck. But the important 'accessory', Pawnshop, came out okay (even if he is a sore puppy!), so.....

Cheers

Pawnshop

Nope, driving her home was NOT an option! I WILL be buying it back from the insurance company unless that buy back price makes the difference between me replacing it and not. In that case I will pass the hat and "we" local CUCV owners will own it collectively. For parts only, I know she will never be road worthy again, so the title type is irrelevant.

I got the police report today and this will be an EASY claim, very cut and dry. I talked to his insurance company and they are very nice and easy to deal with, hope that stays the same, I really don't think legal action will be necessary but if it does I won't be talking about it here :). The rental company is looking for a pickup for me to drive right now.

As for value, I have not yet said anything about a "K5" they only know M1009 so I am going to play the collector card, and I looked at the Blue Book on a 1985 K5 Blazer and high retail is over $10K, so we can talk from there is they insist on the K5 route.

K9Vic

I saw this in the 'post your CUCV pictures' and was going to say...

Hopefully the RAM driver was cited for running a red light.

Some good points here on getting a value of your CUCV, I need to see about doing that with mine. I would say the M1031 is worth more over the M1009 even with all my accessories on the M1009.

Oh yeah as mentioned in Texas you can buy your vehicle back as salvage and can fix it and get it re-titled as a salvaged vehicle. Of course it has to be inspected by TxDPS before a new title is issued, but it is possible in this state.

gunboy1656

Don't know if you subscribe to Military Vehicles Magazine, but they just had an update price scale in it a couple months ago.

Sucks about your truck. Still see a lot of usable parts on it.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being a deathcare professional, we at the funeral home often deal with the organ and tissue bank. PINKIE will live on as parts donated to other vehicles in the hobby. It will be her legacy. I encourage EVERYONE (and their vehicles) to be organ and tissue donors. There's just no valid reason to waste good parts!... Human or Green Iron.

Glad that you walked away from the wreck with relatively minor injuries that will in time heal as good as new. We pray for your perfect restoration.... and for your financial recovery from this loss as well.

on1wheel01

Not completely true. His insurance company owes you a 'like replacement' of your vehicle. That means similar condition, mileage, and options list, or a check for the value of same. They cannot give you just any 1984 Blazer, or 'Blue Book' value for one.

This is why I always recommend that people who own 'Specialty' vehicles such as our CUCVs get an appraisal done after any major work is completed so that in the event of an accident, you have an accurate value to argue with the adjuster.

Key words to remember in negotiation if they try forcing you to accept 'Blue Book' for a base model 1984 Blazer: Acting in Good Faith. Good Faith is a key phrase because insurance companies have lost many court cases over this. The Insurance Company is required to restore your damaged property to a 'pre-loss' condition or compensate you for the value of your loss. They will try to pay as little as possible, you want market value.

Things to assist you:
Receipts for work you have recently done (tires, major mechanical and replacement of wear items)
Appraisal of the vehicle if you have one
Sale listings for comparable vehicles (can be nationwide due to the 'specialty' nature of the vehicle if you can't find many local)

Good luck,
Joe

Great info very helpful.

Op I'm glad your ok, sad the loss of two nice vehicles.

Lild

After looking @ the pictures, & by pictures only she looks repairable. The frame looked straight, new raditor support, new fender, inner fender, new door, your good. Assuming the pillar isn't drove in, & by the looks it doesn't. But glad your ok.

As for the total lost pollicy adjusters don't like to total lost if possible, cause its a lot of paper work. But it is old so it will be assume. As for buy back they will give an offer, u accept, want it back they will take x amount out of check, its yours.

Dont expect bb value of a k5, the price u listed earlier is most like one that is fully loaded in excellent shape. I'm sure they will look around for m1009 to see what the current value is. I had an adjuster tell me that he looks up to 50 mile radius for value. But each comp does have their policies.

Hope you get what u want, & they treat u fairly.

86m1028

Oh yeah as mentioned in Texas you can buy your vehicle back as salvage and can fix it and get it re-titled as a salvaged vehicle. Of course it has to be inspected by TxDPS before a new title is issued, but it is possible in this state.
I hate when people say "buy it back".

YOU ARE THE OWNER until you SELL IT OR SETTLE with them.

I rebuilt a totalled yukon WE owned & the title stayed clean because it didnt change ownership.

Im no expert but that frame looks damaged to me.

Pawnshop

The only other vehicle I ever had totaled was a 1995 F-150 and the "buy back" price was $1200 and I could not afford to buy another vehicle without that $1200 so I let them keep it.

When the insurance company pays off a total they are buying it from you and you have to turn the title over to them, that is where the salvage title comes from when you buy it back from them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks