• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please don't be this guy(pics inside)

Tanner

I stopped engineering in 'overload' ratings years ago in the truck designs I worked on for utility industries... I figured - 'Screw It!' - no one will pay attention to it anyway...

Why include a safety factor, or trailer brakes, or 'dead-man' switches? Someone will simply figure out a creative way to skirt it...

BTW - when manufacturers design in their vehicle towing capacity, you do realize that that figure is calculated to include the combined weight of trailer & load, but the truck & cab are EMPTY, other than the weight of a 200-250 lb driver? Yet, the F250 & F350 / Dodge 3500 / Chevy 3500 work trucks I see pulling Bobcats on trailers usually have the truck & trailer loaded beyond capacity, and loaded with 3-5 250 lb+ workers...

I also recall a time when U-Haul wouldn't rent any trailers to people that were planning to use a Jeep CJ5 or CJ7 as a tow vehicle -

'Tanner'

Josh

Hrm, my uncle used to pull a 21ft boat with his CJ5. Had a chevy 427 in it. Was good entertainment watching him pull a wheelie up the boat ramp. Towed that thing many miles with out incident.

Random comments, I have nothing of value to add to this thread anymore :lol: Least until I get a picture of something crazy.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
At least once a week i see wrecked RV trailers on the interstate because some idiot tryed to pull it with something not big enough to pull it. The problem is you cant fix stupid and stupid will argue with you to his death that he was in the right. Hopefully he only hurts him self and no one else!!!!!!!!

M1Kodiak

Just the other day i saw, no joke, a mini cooper pulling a camper. :???: It wasn't a pop up camper, but a single axle type. I just wish i had gotten a picture of it!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll admit I used to have a "never mind the mule, just load the wagon" attitude. I've hauled and pulled some crazy loads in the past (without incident) but in today's political climate it's just not worth it. Everybody nowdays is looking to sue somebody and there's no reason to give them a good excuse.

HORNETD

Ive seen a 105 with a shelter behind a 1/4ton pickup
OK so I don't know. What is the minimum tow vehicle for a 105 and shelter? I have been lusting after a mobile shelter rig forever. I'm tempted to try to set a shelter up on a flat trailer in order to use the space under each side of the S-250 type of shelter to stow my two AB-952 antenna masts and maybe even the two MK-1009 extension kits for them. But with the 105 trailer I could slide the mast assemblies in from the back I guess.

--
Tom Horne

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see a problem with this picture. I give him props for doing it. I have picked up nine trailers in the last two weeks and never have had working lights to my pickup. That is cool in my book.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I don't see a problem with this picture. I give him props for doing it. I have picked up nine trailers in the last two weeks and never have had working lights to my pickup. That is cool in my book.
That is something I would not BRAG about, does not make you smart, just lucky :gimp2:

stuff like this is what gives MVers a bad name

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sir,
You will soon find that immature, unsafe, and reckless acts are NOT welcome in the MV HOBBY or within the SteelSoldiers Forums in general. MANY Member here have worked VERY HARD to promote and preserve our ability to own and operate these former military vehicles and we DO NOT NEED to jeopardize this privilege in any way - particularly by bragging about foolishness.

Since I see you have only 10 posts to your Membership Credit, I can only presume that you have not yet learned nor adopted a SAFE ATTITUDE yet. I recommend you get up to speed..... QUICKLY.

Thank you.

John
San Angelo, TX

pvtjorge

I think one of those trailers would look good attached to my M38. It may not have enough power to pull it in high range though.

littlebob

He/she isn't guilty till we get the pic's on the road. I wouldn't recommend it, but they may have just been getting it off base to retrieve later with a bigger vehicle. The older I get the more I question the safety of things like this, I have towed some questionable loads in my time, but wouldn't recommend it.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok guys I am all abou the law and obeying the rules. Here in basically Mexico peoples' vehicles don't have working lights or even insurance. I have been hit by two mexico drivers that have been uninsured and nothing happens to them, not even a ticket by the cops. When recovering trailers my pickup will not support the light system of the trailers. I am not bragging by any means, I know that I am priviledged by being able to own this equipment. I just think it is cool that someone has the "juevos" to do this with a trailer. My trucks all have headache racks with lights so people can see if I am stopping or turning. Just because I don't have alot of posts does not by any means that I don't have alot of experience hauling loads. I am not going to dcrive my MV over the mountain and burn alot of fuel to haul a trailer back twenty miles when I can use a pickup. It is not ignorance just practical!!

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Ok guys I am all abou the law and obeying the rules. Here in basically Mexico peoples' vehicles don't have working lights or even insurance. I have been hit by two mexico drivers that have been uninsured and nothing happens to them, not even a ticket by the cops. When recovering trailers my pickup will not support the light system of the trailers. I am not bragging by any means, I know that I am priviledged by being able to own this equipment. I just think it is cool that someone has the "juevos" to do this with a trailer. My trucks all have headache racks with lights so people can see if I am stopping or turning. Just because I don't have alot of posts does not by any means that I don't have alot of experience hauling loads. I am not going to dcrive my MV over the mountain and burn alot of fuel to haul a trailer back twenty miles when I can use a pickup. It is not ignorance just practical!!
use some tow lights then, or you can make an adapter... its not that difficult

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess people are not raised in an agriculture based background, lights on trailers and vehicles only sometimes work. If I spent more time on my vehicles it would mean less time on my cattle. In a perfect world I would love everything to work, but it doesn't work that way. When you get them all working you end up where a mesquite bush tears out your light wires.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ignorance is an attitude by many that are not educated. If you realize the difference between practical and reasonable, you could distinguish the difference. Just because you don't need to spend money and do seems to support being insane. The definition for insane is doing the same thing twice and expecting different results. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Last edited:

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lazy and crazy fall hand in hand. If you spend time to make a device that is only useful for twenty minutes; falls in the category of crazy! I am all about steel soldiers and military vehicles; so not trying to prove a point. I am just telling you all what I have done (not bragging by any means) and I am not reckless at all. I pickup my tailers with a pickup and you can see if I am stopping or turning from my headache rack lights. I am always open to ways I can improve my recoveries! I wish I could figure out how to list all of my MV's so you can see its not my first day at the rodeo!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks