• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please don't be this guy(pics inside)

Mikey90744

I posted this another thread but feel it would do good here also.

If thats not overloaded, I dunno what is.

I have no clue about this guys set up, however in the LA/LB ports when a container gets damaged and they arent going to fix it on the terminal an outside contractor is called, the outside contractor uses a dodge 3500 to come pick up the containers, a lot of times the damage is to the goose neck area some how where we cant get it off the chassis so they pickup a container and chassis together. tare weight of a chassis is 6800 lbs I believe and a container is about 8000 lbs as I recall. when they get the chassis too Ive never looked to see if they are hooking up air lines (which they would NEED to with 15K lbs or so behind them)

frodobaggins

Man I wish I could have got pics. Saw a F250 pulling a trailer about as big as an 18 wheeler trailer going down I-20 at 70mph on the way to work this morning.

pvtjorge

I couldn't believe. Yesterday while driving my MV on the service road I heard this noise on the hiway. A four lane hiway. A truck pulling a trailer with an aluminum boat on it. I immmediately thought about this thread. the right side axle didn't have a wheel or a hub on it anymore it. He was going to fast for me to take picture.

91W350

IN all reality. If he had a drop hitch(or in this case a raise hitch) that made the trailer ride level, and some safety chains. There would be no problem towing this trailer. Ive towed more with less, and unless your a moron it can be done safely. Towing a 3/4ton suburban behind an S10 with out trailer brakes, sure it wasnt the best idea, But i got the tow rig home with out incident and with out killing a busload of nuns/kids when ya think ahead.

Not trying to insult anyonehere or anything, But thinking you need a 3/4ton or larger pickup to tow a 1400lb trailer is asinine.
I am probably wrong, but I think that trailer weighs 2750 pounds.

boomer

Tigger,
Some good pictures. The Chevy is for urban warfare. Although I am not sure why it has really old wheels on the front. The Model A (it seems to be) is funny. I wonder it's hot.

91W350

A couple fine examples from the net!
I actually did the four way through the receiver hitch. I had one of those locking hitch pins that apparently crystallized on me and broke towing an empty car dolly. My daughter was in college in Winfield and he car broke down. I am glad the pin broke with just the dolly on and I am glad I had the safety chains bolted to the rear bumper, not just hanging. That thing did all kinds of dancing back there. I finally got it centered under the truck and set the brakes. The dolly fender buckled the bottom my left bedside, I thought a cheap escape for the potential injuries at 80 mph on the Interstate. That was a sweet old tow vehicle, a 1992 Dodge 3/4 4x4 extended cab long bed Cummins and 5 speed. The only thing I could find was a four way and I tied it to the hitch, it got me six miles to WalMart in McPherson.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats worse is there is no locking pin for the pintal hitch, If I saw this at a truck stop or gas station I would offer some assistance. this is an accident waiting to happen. aua

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed, should have chains but otherwise not as scary as some other "look how I did it" on this forum. It's those foot long offset hitches to raise the trailer tongue that scare me. Torque on a hitch is a bad thing.

Trailer weighs less then 1400lbs, Towing capacity on that car is greater then 1400lbs, Problem is?

Edit- Guess the tilt may be a little on the overkill side, but eh.

Tanner

IN all reality. If he had a drop hitch(or in this case a raise hitch) that made the trailer ride level, and some safety chains. There would be no problem towing this trailer. Ive towed more with less, and unless your a moron it can be done safely. Towing a 3/4ton suburban behind an S10 with out trailer brakes, sure it wasnt the best idea, But i got the tow rig home with out incident and with out killing a busload of nuns/kids when ya think ahead.

Not trying to insult anyonehere or anything, But thinking you need a 3/4ton or larger pickup to tow a 1400lb trailer is asinine.
Towing the chit, and stopping the chit, are two entirely different things....

You tow it as you feel you have to - I'll report it if I feel I have to - fair? :D

'Tanner'

Josh

Towing the chit, and stopping the chit, are two entirely different things....

You tow it as you feel you have to - I'll report it if I feel I have to - fair? :D

'Tanner'

Fair enough :beer:.

Oregon is different then alot of states. There is no max weight requiring trailer brakes, Only they you be able to stop in a certain distant at 20mphs. Hence, If the vehicle is capable of doing it, the trailer brakes arnt nessassarily required.

Goose2448

Can't say I would do that, but maybe he was taking the back roads. I did max out the burban a few times, 3/4 ton truck on a trailer, behind the 1/2 ton burb, and no trailer brakes. It towed well, could only do 50, but that was more than fast enough. I think the burb is rated at about 8K towed, but that's with trailer brakes. I weighed in at 13K when I took it to the scrap yard, after stripping about 1000 pounds out of the truck. So the first time I trailer-ed it I was in the 14K range. I did great, even climbing a 8' wide twisty road with a 8.5' wide trailer in the dark up a huge @ss mountain at night, and a drop on one side. That was not fun. I was specked out around 13K when we moved too. Only side mirrors, and a crappy uhaul trailer over weight, for 1200 miles down 95 and 75, on no sleep.

Its more of I can do this over would someone else do this. If you put your mind too it, it can be done.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks