• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW Info Thread!

Amram

My duece is running like a bag of dog poo...anybody want to give me a hand in figuring out what is wrong with it and possibly drive it to tell me if this is normal for a duece to run like this. Right now I am dogging down on the smallest hills and it takes it 2hrs to get to 40.

Hammer

My duece is running like a bag of dog poo...anybody want to give me a hand in figuring out what is wrong with it and possibly drive it to tell me if this is normal for a duece to run like this. Right now I am dogging down on the smallest hills and it takes it 2hrs to get to 40.
Fuel filters!
Start by trying to see what drains from the primary filter (with the fuel pump on.)
I like to drain it into a clear plastic bottle (like a 1 liter soda bottle.)
That way it easily catches it all, and is really easy to see what is in the fuel.)

srodocker

I would open the petcock on both primarys and the the secondary fuel filter. check the filter thats near the alternator as well. next week i have off if you want to meet up for coffee before weds i can do that and then see what i can spot out.

Amram

I will check my schedule. Starting to get disappointed in the truck. I came into it knowing they weren't fast but mine feels like an entire herd of elephants are getting dragged behind it. I am already having a oil pressure issue now as well.

Irv

Have you considered the possibility that this may indicate a blown head gasket? That happened to me on my M35A2. The break in the gasket was between two cylinders, so no coolant leak or anything funny. It just ran poorly. To prove or disprove it, you should do a compression check on each cylinder. Take each injector out and may as well do a spray test into a clear peanut butter jar, while you're right there. You want a nice, atomized, uniform spray, not a thin stream.

I suspect you will find low compression on two neighboring cylinders. Redoing a head gasket is not all that hard to do.
Irv

Amram

That will have to wait till next month then...blew all my cheddar on buying, licensing, and insuring the darn thing. Guess I got another pretty driveway ornament for the time being.

Irv

Well, you can check the compression and test the injector spray pattern for free while you're waiting for more moolah to magically appear. I think Harbor Freight probably has compression testing stuff for cheap. Another easy test while you're right there, is to start the engine and barely crack loose each injector, one at a time. You should see squirting diesel fuel at each injector and notice a 'missing' sound occurring just as you loosen them.

I wouldn't worry too much about having to change a head gasket. The truck is 40 years old, after all. Probably have to do it again in 2050.:popcorn:It's pretty straight forward. We can help.

Irv

jets1959

That will have to wait till next month then...blew all my cheddar on buying, licensing, and insuring the darn thing. Guess I got another pretty driveway ornament for the time being.
Sorry to hear of your troubles? When you get it sorted you will know your truck inside and out and have more confidence in it! Just wait and see, there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. Start small and work up.:grd:

Amram

Well, you can check the compression and test the injector spray pattern for free while you're waiting for more moolah to magically appear. I think Harbor Freight probably has compression testing stuff for cheap. Another easy test while you're right there, is to start the engine and barely crack loose each injector, one at a time. You should see squirting diesel fuel at each injector and notice a 'missing' sound occurring just as you loosen them.

I wouldn't worry too much about having to change a head gasket. The truck is 40 years old, after all. Probably have to do it again in 2050.:popcorn:It's pretty straight forward. We can help.

Irv
What will the loosening injector test to check for squirt tell me? I figured for one thing it will let me know if the spray pattern is proper for the injector. Is there anything else in particular I should be observing while performing this test? Sorry for all the questions just want to be very thorough in my diagnosis of my truck.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey you western WA MVers. My mom lives in a senior housing community near Pt. Defiance in Tacoma (Pt. Defiance Village). Here is a message she sent to me, are there any in the group who would like to contact me about doing this?

Ron and the Activities Director asked me if you knew who they could contact to try and get a group of the people that rebuild army vehicles. You know that each year they get the Harley Hogs here for lunch and to show off their Harleys - they thought it would be nice if they could get a group of restored
army vehicles here for Armed Forces Day on May 19th. I don't know if there are any of them here but told them I would ask you so if you have any ideas let me know. Thanks.

You can PM me or call me at 907-723-3709. I don't think I can get there be there for this, it will depend if I can get vacation and get down from Alaska.
Thanks
Doug

Amer-team

There might be someone in the vehicle community available, but the Senior community will be in competition with JBLM AFD and the Bremerton AFD parade. They should maybe talk with the activities director and have them take the bus to JBLM for an excursion. I am sure that MWR would work with them on this.

This will be my 23rd year at Ft. Lewis for AFD and I am not ready to give up the streak yet.

Irv

Darned good question. Well, it will confirm that you are getting fuel pushed out to the injector, and not being stopped by a clog in the line or something wrong with the pump. As you crack it open, the loss of pressure to the injector will mean the injector no longer provides fuel to that cylinder, and the engine sound will have a miss to it, just like if you removed a plug wire from a gas engine cylinder. However, if you crack it loose, see fuel, and the engine sound stays the same, then you may well be spraying fuel into the cylinder as normal, but if there is a sufficient lack of compression, it won't be igniting. That would be the case if you had a blown head gasket. If you find this condition on two adjoining cylinders, they are probably using each other as a leakage path.

It will be very good to do these tests, which will not take very long. An hour or two and you'll have all the info, plus valuable experience for future diagnosis.

As always, we're here to help. Irv

What will the loosening injector test to check for squirt tell me? I figured for one thing it will let me know if the spray pattern is proper for the injector. Is there anything else in particular I should be observing while performing this test? Sorry for all the questions just want to be very thorough in my diagnosis of my truck.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Amer-team! I seemed to remember hearing about the Bremerton parade. Unless I hear of a group who wants to do this, I will pass on the idea of the JBLM celebration. Maybe they could take a van full to that event.

Amer-team

When you get down here, maybe we could do an impromptu display for them. And if they ask what we charge, we don't, but we do display for food. :)

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Food is definitely on the table. When the local HOG group comes each year they get lunch and really do have a good time showing off their equipment. I am humbled when I go into the dining room at Pt. Defiance Village and look at the Wall of Honor that they have. It has pictures of dozens of residents who have served in various Armed Services from WWII through VietNam (at least so far). Anyhow, I hope to have the M35 there for Arlington. Hope to meet some of you then.
Doug

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks