• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW Info Thread!

hwcurtice

Super Rope tools & Arlington Fly In

So, I was able to get a length of super rope from Dale, in order to replace the worn out rope tie downs on my cover for my trailer. Now I need to do it. Does anyone, who is heading to the fly-in, have the tool for making the tie downs? I can get the hardware to make the tiedowns. I just can't justify buying a tool that I might just use once, and let rust away.

I have to go back through the thread to find out where to get the hardware, unless someone wants to volunteer the info, or knows a place local that I can pick the stuff up at.

hwcurtice

Erik's surplus sells this stuff called super rope. It's like .90 a foot. Clinto swears by this stuff. Another place to look is a boating supply store. This stuff is about the same consistency as small boat mooring lines. On a side note my auberins EGT probe came in. Who would like to give me a hand installing this thing.
So, is there a local,and I mean Snohomish/King County local, that sells the stuff needed, clips and such, to make the tie downs?

ABN173

Guys we lost out on this one....

I stumbled upon this Craigslist ad today:
MAKE ME AN OFFER
Located outside at N. State St. Bellingham, WA

1984 Chevy Blazer

6.2L Detroit Diesel less than 90,000miles on it, but head gasket is blown/ hydrolocked
new front brakes
new starter
new batteries
new cables
new shocks

Needs to be gone by Sunday evening, otherwise it gets sold for scrap. I know there's collectors out there. Get on this.

I e-mailed him and he said he sold it to Sunrise Auto Salvage in Lyden, WA
I called them and they remember picking it up and the fellow said he was 99% sure it "processed" already meaning cut-up/destroyed. Yeah they paid a whopping $250 for it.

Here is the sad thing the seller wanted to post it up on Steel Soldiers but he could not afford the $15 fee. We lost out this one.

-Dale

Attachments

Amer-team

Just when I get lazy about looking at CL. my son lives in BHam going to Western. He could have tied the deal up for us.

All I see are the jeeps that are thousands that need thousands more to make them habitable again.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds to me like the owner was in a genuine financial "hard place" and his only option was a "quick sell". So sad.

I am reminded of the old adage: "Failure to plan on your part does not consitute an emergency on the part of those around you." However, the net result here is the loss of a piece of history - a valued machine that was squandered as scrap.

It is truely a sad story.

If the seller had been open about his situation, using all the SS Site tools available to him (PM's forums, Chat Rooms, etc.), I'm sure this could have had a differently outcome. If he had been more proactive, even a regular participant here, I'm sure that someone would have stepped up to the plate and even loaned or "gifted" him the cash that he obviously needed. "You have not because you ask not." (ref Matthew 7:7) End result: Fellow man helped, and an MV saved.

Yet we too, share some responsibility for this sad demise of a sound MV. Let us not be blind to opportunities to help when we can - even if it means "thinking outside the box". We must be aware of the RED FLAGS such as "must be gone by Sunday!"

Thanks for this wake-up-call.

hwcurtice

Sounds to me like the owner was in a genuine financial "hard place" and his only option was a "quick sell". So sad.

I am reminded of the old adage: "Failure to plan on your part does not consitute an emergency on the part of those around you." However, the net result here is the loss of a piece of history - a valued machine that was squandered as scrap.

It is truely a sad story.

If the seller had been open about his situation, using all the SS Site tools available to him (PM's forums, Chat Rooms, etc.), I'm sure this could have had a differently outcome. If he had been more proactive, even a regular participant here, I'm sure that someone would have stepped up to the plate and even loaned or "gifted" him the cash that he obviously needed. "You have not because you ask not." (ref Matthew 7:7) End result: Fellow man helped, and an MV saved.

Yet we too, share some responsibility for this sad demise of a sound MV. Let us not be blind to opportunities to help when we can - even if it means "thinking outside the box". We must be aware of the RED FLAGS such as "must be gone by Sunday!"

Thanks for this wake-up-call.
Gotta remember, Dale saw the ad on Monday. m1009 was already gone. We don't all go through CL to seek out "need to be rescued" rigs. I can do that on GL!
I might, weekly, but only to see what is out there. And sometimes, unless you put just what you're looking for, you're not going to find it. I'm not sure what keyword Dale used to discover this lost CUCV, but it may have been different than one someone else uses.

Myself, I use Military, and 6x6, as standard keywords. If I'm going after something specific, like an M37, I use that.

Case in point, Zac is selling his m35a2. (He painted it BTW) It doesn't come up under Military, but it does come up under 6x6. It might come under Deuce too.

I'm not looking for a m1009. I'd rather have a Pickup, m1008 or m1028. Sheesh, I searched m37 this am and found a m37 ambulance, although I think its a m56. Too bad its only good for parts... No title...

I think I'm rambling....

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotta remember, Dale saw the ad on Monday. m1009 was already gone. We don't all go through CL to seek out "need to be rescued" rigs. I can do that on GL!
I might, weekly, but only to see what is out there. And sometimes, unless you put just what you're looking for, you're not going to find it. I'm not sure what keyword Dale used to discover this lost CUCV, but it may have been different than one someone else uses.

Myself, I use Military, and 6x6, as standard keywords. If I'm going after something specific, like an M37, I use that.

Case in point, Zac is selling his m35a2. (He painted it BTW) It doesn't come up under Military, but it does come up under 6x6. It might come under Deuce too.

I'm not looking for a m1009. I'd rather have a Pickup, m1008 or m1028. Sheesh, I searched m37 this am and found a m37 ambulance, although I think its a m56. Too bad its only good for parts... No title...

I think I'm rambling....
Very good point on the "timing" of the ad's discovery. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my ramble.
There are still plenty more MV's that "could" be saved.... It's sad to know that some won't survive though.

hwcurtice

Very good point on the "timing" of the ad's discovery. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my ramble.
There are still plenty more MV's that "could" be saved.... It's sad to know that some won't survive though.
Chappy,

No disrespect seen or meant. I just mentioned that because some people spouted off with the "Why didn't someone do anything?" before really reading Dale's post.

Anyway, off to searching for the need to be rescued MVs (There's a m211 that needs love, and tires, in Des Moines, WA). It's on CL, btw... :whistle:

ABN173

New 6TL Battery source found

Guys,

Posting it here first, may or may not start a thread on this until I get more has information but the hard to find 6tl battery has been found. A couple of weeks ago I found one old new stock battery through O'Reilly's in Lakewood, WA. I replaced my one bad battery and talked to Dave one of the store managers, Dave is ex-Army and loved seeing my M35A2. Anyway at first glance no more of this battery type could be found, Dave went the extra mile and took a couple of weeks to run this down, he even talked to the manufacturer. Anyway long story short he can still get these for us. He called me and asked that I inquire around to get a quantity for this order.

Guys, this style battery is mostly discontinued so if you are interested post here or send me a PM since we may not be able to get them in the future.

They are $189 plus a $12 core charge if you are not exchanging. (Yes you can get a MIL discount) Here are the specs:

Super Start - Ordnance/Military Vehicle Battery

Part # 6TL

Line: SSB

• UPC: 83996009554
  • 12 Volt
  • Cranking Amps: 875
  • Cold Cranking Amps: 750
  • Reserve Capacity: 230
  • Length: 11-1/4 Inch
  • Width: 10-1/2 Inch
  • Height: 9 Inch

Detailed Description

These ordnance batteries are specially designed to meet military specifications.
Certificate of compliance is available on request. They are available wet or dry and with ratings up to 750 CCA and 230 min. reserve capacity. The maintenance-free types feature calcium grids with microporous polyethylene envelope separators and double glass-mat insulation. Screw-in vents are submersible to 4-feet underwater and make battery accessible in the event of accidental overcharging. Full-frame grids, heavy-duty plates, high density oxide and pure, demineralized electrolyte prevent internal shorts and withstand high cycling service for longest battery life. A durable ribbed polypropylene case provides protection in abusive applications with special leak resistant cover keeps battery compartments clean and dry up to a 45 Degrees tilt. Anchor lock elements resist vibration damage for longer service life. Most models include handles for ease of transportation and installation. Over 250 quality control checks assure reliability and long service life. Proudly made in the U.S.A.

• Handles included for convenient installation and transportation.
  • Specifically designed to meet military specifications
  • Wet maintenance-free, battery with durable polypropylene case and cover.
  • Anchor-locked elements resist vibration damage for longer service.
Super Start 6TL - Ordnance/Military Vehicle Battery | O'Reilly Auto Parts

*edit: on pic#2 the new 6TL is on the right (forward battery)

-Dale

Attachments

Last edited:

hwcurtice

I stumbled upon this Craigslist ad today:
MAKE ME AN OFFER
Located outside at N. State St. Bellingham, WA

1984 Chevy Blazer

6.2L Detroit Diesel less than 90,000miles on it, but head gasket is blown/ hydrolocked
new front brakes
new starter
new batteries
new cables
new shocks

Needs to be gone by Sunday evening, otherwise it gets sold for scrap. I know there's collectors out there. Get on this.

I e-mailed him and he said he sold it to Sunrise Auto Salvage in Lyden, WA
I called them and they remember picking it up and the fellow said he was 99% sure it "processed" already meaning cut-up/destroyed. Yeah they paid a whopping $250 for it.

Here is the sad thing the seller wanted to post it up on Steel Soldiers but he could not afford the $15 fee. We lost out this one.

-Dale
Keyword: CUCV

This is still listed on CL as of This time today. aua

Sheesh, how hard is it to delete an ad? I do it all the time...

Amer-team

Nice find on the batteries. Mine seem to be in pretty good shape, but I guess you never know when they will tweak out. The batteries in my 2001 Dodge civy truck are the originals and they still seem to be working fine. but I am feeling nervous. Maybe it has to do with having two batteries and using it primarily for long runs.

Josh

I was going to get a set of 6TLs for my truck through interstate batteries. Until I found a set of group 31s(i think) 1100 CCA batteries for 120ea. Cheaper and more CCA. Cant go wrong there.

Loco_Hosa

Hey everyone. Little update for anyone who remembers me. (I have not been very active the last 8 months or so) I have the truck from Indiana Jones, drove it back from So Cal, a few of ya'll might know my truck by the fact that my tires had some INTENSE sidewall cracks. I think Josh wanted to insert pennies into the sidewalls of my tires.

In October my truck blasted a wheel cylinder apart. No one was hurt, luckily. I was holding my truck together with chewing gum and some prayers, while I was saving to buy a house. I decided that I would simply park the truck till I had time and money to work on it correctly and fix it the way it deserved.

Finally, months later, I have the house, the Deuce is here, and I am not 12 colors of broke anymore. This has been an AWESOME learning experience, since I am not in a huge hurry, and so much of this process is different than anything I have worked on before. I digress, the truck is almost road worth again!

-Removed the wheel cylinders
-Packed wheel bearings
-Flipped the hubs
-Reinstalled drums and wheels so I could tow the truck to its new home
-painted/rebuilt wheel cylinders
-Installed the newly rebuilt wheel cylinders (Still have one to go)
-Adjusted the brakes (With Feeler gauge even)

A few times I made mistakes that caused it to take 12,000 times longer. Stupid things, like dissembling the whole drum, then having no idea where the feeler gauge went. Yup, 3 hours scratching my head before I went back and found the TM.

Still need a few things,
-I need the copper crush washers that seal at the banjos
-Need the gasket for the axle flanges
-need the six little cork, keyway gaskets.
-Need a bucket or two of Dot 3
-Need open ended wrench for the big nuts on the lower front brake adjuster (Couldnt fit the socket on those two)

Was having an issue on the lower adjusters. Seemed that each time I would tighten the lock nut and then the drum wouldnt turn. The lock nuts cant seem to move without taking the brakes out of adjustment. >.<

After that I bleed them and they are done!

I also need to address the issue of my fuel system. My truck has a very hard time starting with WMO in the tank. I plan to pump all the WMO out, replace the fuel filters, and see if the issues continue with Diesel in the tank.

Only other issue was the air compressor making a ton of noise when it cycled. I hear that taking it off and cleaning it will help.

My truck is hard to start with 100% WMO also. I put in a block heater and use it always. It will fire right off if I do. I for some reason I leave it over night at the shop where its not plugged in takes a lot of cranking and about 1/4 pedal to start. If it has some atf, gas or diesel mixed in I don't have any problems it fires right off.

Just a bench line from another truck so you can know where your at.

Loco_Hosa

My truck is hard to start with 100% WMO also. I put in a block heater and use it always. It will fire right off if I do. I for some reason I leave it over night at the shop where its not plugged in takes a lot of cranking and about 1/4 pedal to start. If it has some atf, gas or diesel mixed in I don't have any problems it fires right off.

Just a bench line from another truck so you can know where your at.
Thanks! Mine has about 10%-20% Diesel, but it also has been sitting. It will drain the batteries before it starts. Last time, to get it to start, I pulled the fuel filter bowls down and filled them with Diesel. She fired right up.

The research I have done shows that turning up the Fuel CAN fix this issue. I want to fill it with Diesel, then install a gauge to monitor EGTs, that way I can turn the fuel up a bit. This should help with the hard starts, according to multiple sources. Its also possible my fuel filters are just gone to ****.

My fuel filter bowls are definitely not as clean as I would like them to be.

Right now I am more concerned with flushing, within acceptable tolerances, all the remaining DOT 5 out of the MC and lines before I add DOT 3. I figure this must be done before I hook the lines back up to the wheel cylinders.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks