• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW Info Thread!

Amer-team

Loco why would switch from DOT 5 to DOT 3? Sounds like you are on a good track, take your time and if it needs fixed, do it. You will be happier when you are done.

Loco_Hosa

Loco why would switch from DOT 5 to DOT 3? Sounds like you are on a good track, take your time and if it needs fixed, do it. You will be happier when you are done.
I gave that decision a LOT of thought. I want to, in the future, service the MC, and the airpack, ect. If I were going to use DOT 5, I'd feel that I had to replace every brake hose, rebuild every brake part, (since i only want to spend the money on DOT 5 one time) and I worry I'd never finish.

When our trucks were built in the fifties they used DOT 3. They were later converted to DOT 5. Yes, I'll need to do more maintenance in the long term, but I really think this is the right call for me.

Suggestions on flushing the old fluid out?

Amer-team

I bought my M54 3 years ago. 3 years before that, the city put 2600 dollars in brakes, bearings, airpack, and mastercylinder. I have the reciepts. They switched to DOT 3 from 5. Every wheel cylinder was rusty. They were all new. Was able to hone a couple, but decided it was easier to put new ones on. they had less than 200 miles in 3 years. If you drive it a bit, DOT 3 will be fine, but the 5 seems to be a bit less troublesome. You can look on here or in Military Vehicle magazine at some of the vendors and pick up a gallon of DOT 5 for somewhere around 50 dollars plus shipping.
Whatever you chose to do, you are on a good track.

Hammer

Loco, turning the fuel up has definitely helped when burning WMO for me on a couple of deuces. Even a little more on the adjustment can make a NICE difference when starting them.

Dale, nice to see a source for the 6tl batteries.
To note, for anyone with 5 tons or bigger with 4 batteries, one of the best, and cheapest routes, it to get a pair of 8D batteries.
I got a pair of them from the guy that drives the Exide truck. I asked for blems (blemished.)
They kind of lump together batteries like the blems with the take outs or returns (as long as they all have good testing numbers.)
I only paid $70 for each 8D. And those two batteries will out crank and out last all four 6TLs I had in the m818 before that!

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hammer,
How long ago was $70 for an 8D.
That would be a nice deal to use in the 5 tons. Right now it is two of what ever the largest Wally World battery is in stock.

Loco,
I run DOT 3 in my 813, I did a couple of full system flushes with DOT 3 and a bug sprayer power bleeder about 2 months apart. I have been told by others that drive the M813 that
the brakes feel stiff, as though they could stop on a dime.

When I drive the one DOT 5 rig I have, when I step on the brakes it feels squishy/springy to me. And psychologically like the truck isn't going to stop. Plus if you are doing up keep on the system, you will be cycling any moisture that accumulates out of the brake system.

For me it is analogous to buying a new car to save money on gas. What good is it if you have to spend an additional $10k for a new hybrid, you could always keep what you have and spend $10K on gas. :maddawg308: (what is this a black hole, a chunk of coal. what?)

Hammer

Last set I got, this spring.
Like I said, harrass an Exide truck delivery driver. Helps if you can run it through the business they deliver to. Just be warned, they want two or three batteries PER 8D for cores!

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmmmm.
I will have to explore this more.
I have plenty of cores.
I have been saving them up to for a lead shield on the shallow underground facility I am burrowing back into the hill side.:tin hat:

ABN173

Look what I found for $320 ($300 after my ebay bucks credit) W/free shipping.

Not sure if I am putting them on my truck yet or not, since the HID lights have been good so far. This was just to good of a deal to pass up, the switch and lights all appear brand new. Normally this price or more would be for one light without a switch.

Also thanks AMRAM (Mike) for the bench seat, I installed it today while I was hanging out at 1st SF Group's organizational day. (no pics yet)

-Dale

Attachments

Last edited:

rolling18

Look what I found for $320 ($300 after my ebay bucks credit) W/free shipping.

Not sure if I am putting them on my truck yet or not, since the HID lights have been good so far. This was just to good of a deal to pass up, the switch and lights all appear brand new. Normally this price or more would be for one light without a switch.

Also thanks AMRAM (Mike) for the bench seat, I installed it today while I was hanging out at 1st SF Group's organizational day. (no pics yet)

-Dale
i love the looks of those! I call them automotive jewelry/ auto diamonds
link of like Deuce "bling" I got a pair of these auto diamonds

Amram

So today on my way to the Arlington Airshow I received yet another flat tire. This time while travelling down I-5 at about 60mph. I almost flipped my truck getting it off the road. The tire that went flat is the same front passenger side wheel that has been a thorn in my side 3 times before. Not sure how much more of this I can take.aua

ABN173

So today on my way to the Arlington Airshow I received yet another flat tire. This time while travelling down I-5 at about 60mph. I almost flipped my truck getting it off the road. The tire that went flat is the same front passenger side wheel that has been a thorn in my side 3 times before. Not sure how much more of this I can take.aua
The important thing is that you and your Grandfather are both ok!

Here was my post on the rally thread:
Yes with 7 Days to go, I was skipping Arlington in order to finish everyone's final T-shirt orders when the call came in... AMRAM (Mike) had flat #4 someplace near exit 188 on I-5. So I stopped prepping the screen printing stuff, loaded up my floor jack, fueled up the CUCV, went to Scott's house to get his Spare, went on base to my truck to get my tools and air inflation hose, I was was about to start heading North when I got the word that Les Swab arrived on scene and had him taken care of in record time.

Just wanna again vote that Mike gets the hard luck award this year.

-Dale
*edit: funny thing is I bought that jack like 6.5-7 years ago and never had a need to take it out of the box until today.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Definately need to get a spare! In fact I've got two in my 923 (actually 3 if you include the 11.00x20 in the spare tire rack). Always need a back up to the back up. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks