• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW Info Thread!

Hammer

Well, we FINALLY got our last deuce up north!
Just rolled in a few minutes ago.
It had been having issues with the brakes being soaked with gear oil because the seals were bad. Then the bearings gave me some headaches.
Drove down 7.5 hours, adjusted the bearings. One was still getting hot, so I adjusted that one again.
After MANY hours today, we made it home.
430 miles in a deuce without a top is not really that much fun.....

Hammer

I originally picked three up from Kliever Armory in portland.
I lived in N CA at the time, and took them all down there. After I moved up to WA, it took a bit to get all three of them back north.

Fort Powell

When are you leaving. We maybe could convoy over. I probably won't stay long t o many things to get done.
Dwayne,

The Convoy for Fort Worden will be leaving Spanaway at 0700.
I will be waiting across the bridge at the scale pull off for them to come by and I am going just jump on the end.
We will pick up the Canadians in Port Townsend.

Josh

If I had known ya where going ed. I woulda let ya borrow my roof. Ive been running around converabilized for the last few weeks. Glad ya finally got er home.

jets1959

Dwayne,

The Convoy for Fort Worden will be leaving Spanaway at 0700.
I will be waiting across the bridge at the scale pull off for them to come by and I am going just jump on the end.
We will pick up the Canadians in Port Townsend.
What day and time can I meet you at your house.

Hammer

Thanks Josh.
I wasn't SURE I was going to be bringing it back this time.
I have a spare top, but it is VERY dry, and I think that length of a trip would have torn it up.

Btw, at 60 mph, a deuce is NOT fuel efficient!

On a good note, I have the fuel dialed in!
It took a 7% grade for over a mile to get my EGTs over 1200°.
And the 6% grades usually kept it under that.
Sure smelled the paint burning off the muffler and exhaust on the first few big hills though.

Josh

Heh. With the new 395s on my truck, my truck hits 1200 deg doing 55-60 on the flats now. I really need an LDS aua. Keeping it pinned it wont get abover 1250ish, but soons I hit a even a mild downhill, temps drop back down to 1000ish like with stocker tires.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there someone in the Monroe, WA area that might want to check out a M416 trailer (pic 2) for me?

Jeep/ Small M416 Military Trailer

I am looking to put a light, off road trailer behind my Austin Champ for trail riding.

The trailer that would have been period correct for the Champ is a Sankey(pic 1), but I can only find them in PA or Overseas.

Other than the M416 and Bantam trailers, what light MV trailers should I consider?

Attachments

Amer-team

Would you want it to be stock or does it matter? This trailer has a tailgate, which is more convenient sometimes for loading and there is not lunette ring. These can get pricey if you need to go out and put one on. Sorry I am not close enough to go look, but barring gaping holes in the floor or front, it looks decent and looks like they sandblasted to paint. I think the 416's weigh somewhere around 450 pounds. Would have to dig the TM out to be sure.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Peter,
I think I read 500 lbs for weight.
I am no the MV purist, but I do know some. So those mods would be OK, I am not planning on paddling it across lakes at this time. Though putting a lunette ring back on would have to be done before pulling it with the Champ.
Tony

Amer-team

Okay, we both need work on this. According to the TM 9-... April 79, a M416A1 has a shipping weight of 640 pounds, this is on Page 1-2 fig. 1-1. It has a payload cross country of 500 pounds and highway of 750. Thank you for tuning me up on this, I have had the wrong figure in my head for a long time.

Amer-team

If anyone has time, there is a carshow at the Assembly of God church at Aaron and Amber's exit off I-5, just behind McDonald's tomorrow (Sunday). From 0900 to 1400. It is a free event. Right now it looks like we will have 2 - WW2 jeeps and I am thinking of taking the M54. Sorry for the late notice, but did not really find out about it till yesterday. I did this one last year and it was fun. Lots of families and kids.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks