• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW Info Thread!

Amer-team

Looks like a go for me. May bring the amublance since I haven't hardly driven it since our last hamburger run. Besides it does 60 and has a heater.

REO 54

Hi all.Just want to say I'm still here.I've been busy helping my wife recover from her injury,but that does'nt mean I'm not participating with the Steel Soldiers Spirit!

My AmGen Duece was able to pick up my wife's new wheel chair lift equipment last week from a GL auction.Brand new!Bargin price!

Cheers to all and a happy new year...REO

jets1959

Hi all.Just want to say I'm still here.I've been busy helping my wife recover from her injury,but that does'nt mean I'm not participating with the Steel Soldiers Spirit!

My AmGen Duece was able to pick up my wife's new wheel chair lift equipment last week from a GL auction.Brand new!Bargin price!

Hello my friend, long time since we have heard from you. Hope your wife is much better!!! Most of us are now on face book. Search PNW Steel Soldiers! If you request to join I wii confirm you. Just let me know your face book name. Happy new year to you and yours! Dwayne

Loco_Hosa

While people are coming back after spending way too much time away...

Its been way too long for me, but its been a great year! My truck has been parked for 14 months... Distracted with the purchase of my first home, then as soon as I had my savings rebuilt, I switched to a brand new career. I had to wait till I was settled in my new job, and FINALLY! I am in a position where I can have fun again.

However, today was legendary. The truck ran... THEN! Its STOPPED. It was amazing.

I think this will be my BEST build season.

Loco_Hosa

Well, one of the brake shoes seems to have been damaged. Shortly before I took it for a test drive around the block I had a friend look at the back of the drums as I pumped the brakes, and the wheel cylinder blew out again. Same one as last time, but it looks as though it was due to the shoe bending.

Ordering a new brake shoe on Thursday I guess. Do they have to be replaced as a pair? They dont look hardly worn at all. Also, is there another place to get the shoes from other than eriksmilitarysurplus.com? I dont suppose Napa has them?

Hi Dave,I'm not participating much either, but all I would add is hope and pray that your wife improves day by day and our prayers and thoughts are with both of you in this road to recovery which will happen. God Bless and Happy New Year to all on SteelSoldiers! elkhunter
e

jets1959

Well, one of the brake shoes seems to have been damaged. Shortly before I took it for a test drive around the block I had a friend look at the back of the drums as I pumped the brakes, and the wheel cylinder blew out again. Same one as last time, but it looks as though it was due to the shoe bending.

Ordering a new brake shoe on Thursday I guess. Do they have to be replaced as a pair? They dont look hardly worn at all. Also, is there another place to get the shoes from other than eriksmilitarysurplus.com? I dont suppose Napa has them?
Have your old shoes relined at south south brake and clutch!

jets1959

Hi Dave,I'm not participating much either, but all I would add is hope and pray that your wife improves day by day and our prayers and thoughts are with both of you in this road to recovery which will happen. God Bless and Happy New Year to all on SteelSoldiers! elkhunter
e
How are you and your family doing, elkhunter? Hope all is well!! Can't wait to meet up with all of you again this year at Aaron's. take care and be well!!

Amer-team

Loco, South sound brake as already mentioned or Rapid Brake in Olympia. Also if you go to a heavy truck parts shop, they may be able to hook you up. I think there is one on old Pacific Hwy. in Fife. You might also catch one at Brad's in Yelm, depending on what he has on the scrap pile. The nice thing about going to some of the major suppliers, is that when you ask, they know what you are talking about. On the reverse, if you can get it locally, you usually save shipping and sometimes the item cost is about the same.

Loco_Hosa

Have your old shoes relined at south south brake and clutch!
The only issue is that the shoe is damaged where the wheel cylinder pushes against it. None of the Shoes look worn out though.

I did call them, they didnt think they could even re-line them for less than $30, much less replace a damaged shoe.

Loco, South sound brake as already mentioned or Rapid Brake in Olympia. Also if you go to a heavy truck parts shop, they may be able to hook you up. I think there is one on old Pacific Hwy. in Fife. You might also catch one at Brad's in Yelm, depending on what he has on the scrap pile. The nice thing about going to some of the major suppliers, is that when you ask, they know what you are talking about. On the reverse, if you can get it locally, you usually save shipping and sometimes the item cost is about the same.
Rapid brake, and a heavy truck shop on Pacific hwy, I will check those both out.

I lost Brads phone number, but thats an awesome idea! I wonder if I could kidnap a good set of seats from him also....

Amer-team

What sort of damage could you have where the wheel cylinder pushes against the shoe? Can you do a picture? I might have gotten a wheel cylinder on the 5T that the gap was too narrow and it wouldn't release from the shoe, so we substituted the old push rod and it worked fine.

Loco_Hosa

What sort of damage could you have where the wheel cylinder pushes against the shoe? Can you do a picture? I might have gotten a wheel cylinder on the 5T that the gap was too narrow and it wouldn't release from the shoe, so we substituted the old push rod and it worked fine.
IMG_20130112_215019.jpg
IMG_20130112_215027.jpgIMG_20130112_215031.jpgIMG_20130112_215037.jpg

Like I said, damaged shoe.

Artisan

Looks like I will be making a 1 way trip w/ the SQUATCH (M925A1) next week,
from Spokane, WA to Los Angeles, CA. Anyone need anything hauled? I could
use some fuel dabloons! Heater works! :)

Amer-team

That is really odd to have it bend like that. I think I would try a bit of a tune up on it with a 4 pound hammer and a hard flat surface. And yes there is plenty of brake lining there.

o1951

I would NOT repair the bent shoe. In my opinion, unsafe. Could cause a wheel lock-up if it bends again, or fatigues in the future.
In 50 years of working on vehicles, I have only seen this happen a few times.
What I saw - The push rod pushed on the shoe at an angle because one of the hold down pins corroded and broke. That let the shoe shift away from the backing plate, and rub on the inside of the drum.
The side force on the wheel cylinder caused it to split.
The only time I have seen a wheel cylinder split is where it got side force on it - shoe displacement, ear on pushrod breaking off because replacement shoe was too thick.

I have seen lock-ups and ruptured drums from parts coming loose and getting stuck, overheated lining coming off shoe and getting between lining and drum on other shoe.

I always see how the shoes fit the drum curvature before I install them, and check drums for bellmouthing. A bellmouthed drum can cause the shoes to cock and line up with the bellmouth when the brakes are applied. This would cause the ear on the shoe to be out of line with the wheel cylinder piston, creating side force.

Last edited:

Loco_Hosa

I would NOT repair the bent shoe. In my opinion, unsafe. Could cause a wheel lock-up if it bends again, or fatigues in the future.
In 50 years of working on vehicles, I have only seen this happen a few times.
What I saw - The push rod pushed on the shoe at an angle because one of the hold down pins corroded and broke. That let the shoe shift away from the backing plate, and rub on the inside of the drum.
The side force on the wheel cylinder caused it to split.
The only time I have seen a wheel cylinder split is where it got side force on it - shoe displacement, ear on pushrod breaking off because replacement shoe was too thick.

I have seen lock-ups and ruptured drums from parts coming loose and getting stuck, overheated lining coming off shoe and getting between lining and drum on other shoe.

I always see how the shoes fit the drum curvature before I install them, and check drums for bellmouthing. A bellmouthed drum can cause the shoes to cock and line up with the bellmouth when the brakes are applied. This would cause the ear on the shoe to be out of line with the wheel cylinder piston, creating side force.
Trying to repair it will not work, I know because I already tried it. It failed again, blew the Wheel Cylinder apart, and here we are.

If you wouldnt mind telling me more about checking the shoe for correct fit inside the drum and checking for "Bell mouthed" drums, it could save me significant headache in the future. Thank you.

You seem to very knowledgeable about this, is there going to be any harm from replacing just the one shoe, or do I need to replace both shoes in the drum?

Thanks for the help yall, this is a weird issue...

o1951

Trying to repair it will not work, I know because I already tried it. It failed again, blew the Wheel Cylinder apart, and here we are.

If you wouldnt mind telling me more about checking the shoe for correct fit inside the drum and checking for "Bell mouthed" drums, it could save me significant headache in the future. Thank you.

Bell mouth - rubbing surface of drum must be parallel to axle. Drums should be cleaned up when new shoes are fitted. If you look inside, you will see the wear area and ridges on either side with rust, where the shoe was not rubbing. The entire wear surface should be cleaned up by taking a light skim in a brake lathe. The replacement shoe may track in a slightly different spot.
The drum must be carefully centered in the lathe - dirt cleared so it runs true when refitted. You can use a dial indicator or take a light cut. If you see that the cut is not uniform, then there was bell mouthing. This can happen from overheating and when the drum is worn to near it's wear limits.
Any wobble from a bent or warped drum will be readily apparent.
Automotive machine shop or truck repair facility should have lathe and brake shoe grinder.

Checking for correct fit - place the shoes inside the drum. the entire lining must contact the rubbing surface evenly. If it does not fit right, and is high in the center or at the ends, it should be contoured to fit in a brake shoe grinder. If just part of the shoe contacts the drum, the brakes will not be as effective on that side. The small area will overheat, and the brakes will not be as effective.

You seem to very knowledgeable about this, is there going to be any harm from replacing just the one shoe, or do I need to replace both shoes in the drum?

If the failure occurred soon after shoes replaced, and the new shoe has the same brand lining, I would just replace it. Always want the same brand linings on both sides of the axle so the brakes are uniform. Different brands can have different friction coeficients and cause pulling to the side under hard braking.

The cause must be found, you do not want a wheel cyl blowing when you have to brake hard braking on the road!!!
Make sure the wheel cyl push rods engage such that they push parallel to the wheel cyls. Since you have had trouble, check the backing plate for distortion and excessive wear. The contact surfaces on the shoes should move smoothly on the backing plate contact surfaces.
If someone used a lot of force to remove a wheel cyl, it is possible the backing plate is distorted where the wheel cyl mounts, and it no longer mounts parallel to the backing plate.

If a shoe has dot 5 brake fluid on the lining, I would not use it.

Thanks for the help yall, this is a weird issue...
Look carefully and you should find the problem. Replace anything in a brake system that does not look perfect. The extra bucks are cheap versus needing a commercial tow or you or your truck getting damaged, or someone getting hurt.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks