• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poll - Who has done the Doghead Relay Conversion

Start Relay Conversion/Upgrade

• Yes - I have done the conversion

Votes: 328 60.6%
  • No - I don't plan on doing the conversion

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • No - I haven't done it but plan on doing it soon.

Votes: 162 29.9%

• Total voters

rsh4364

The upgrade is one of first things I did on my second cucv.After suffering runaway starter on my first one.It cant hurt.And easy to do and fairly cheap.And I do not smoke weed,and would not advise anyone to do so,especialy when working on or operateing a cucv. No matter what Cheech and Chong advise. LOL.

Last edited:

KansasBobcat

I did it to my 1009. The GM relay seems to have a reputation for failing in the closed position.

Though it could be that whatever lawnmower relay we replace them with will have just as much liklihood of doing the same. There's far more with stock GM starter relays installed (with alot more cycles on them) so it stands to reason we'd hear about GM starter relays failing with more frequency.

I'm a paranoid soul, so I plan to install a kill switch on the starter cable. If I can find one properly rated, one of the big red button E-stops would be good, I think.
Andy: Good point about numbers in service. I have been tempted to buy another lawn mower relay and dissect it to to see the construction...probably someone has already posted that and I missed it.

welpro222

I did the doghead relay just before I did the 12 volt conversion. Its works as planned, you just get an additional click noise when starting the truck. I plan to take advantage of the relay by adding a push button starter and a starter disable switch.

CUCVEightyFive

Installed the DH relay today, as per the sticky instructions. Works great. I initially hated to cut into the wiring harness, but decided this is a necessary upgrade. I had a run-on situation occur a week ago. Luckily I knew what to do from reading the forums here after buying the truck. THANKFULLY, I got the batteries disconnected prior to damaging a single fusible link, wiring, or either alternator. However, it did jack up the starter solenoid on my direct drive unit. I took the opportunity to install a gear reduction starter. It's nice to know the DH relay mod should prevent this from ever happening again. Thanks Doghead!

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
... I took the opportunity to install a gear reduction starter. It's nice to know the DH relay mod should prevent this from ever happening again. Thanks Doghead!
A gear reduction starter? Like for 12V system gassers? Didn't know that was possible. If you don't mind my asking--- what voltage/model/brand?

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks CUCVEightyFive, am just now seeing them at O'Reilly's for $241--- a bargain considering I searched everywhere for an original AcDelco and was lucky to bid/pay $390. Still haven't installed it yet, other stuff needs the attention. BTW; like the bone stock resto look myself too. Good luck~!

Milkman357

I've done it to two M-1009s.
The 2nd one, I forgot to do the upgrade, until stock relay stuck one day. Because of Steel Soldiers I knew what was happening right away and gave my center, lower dash a quick kick when it happened. That unstuck the relay.
I went right to NAPA and got my new relay.

I have also suggested it to any new CUCV owners I run into.

Boat Guy

Older son (from whom I got the beast) actually did it but neglected to reinstall the setup under the dash. I managed to bump it and had it ground out against the dash, which smoked the starter!
Redid the conversion and attached the damn thing to the dash and then got the starter rebuilt.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Older son (from whom I got the beast) actually did it but neglected to reinstall the setup under the dash. I managed to bump it and had it ground out against the dash, which smoked the starter!
Redid the conversion and attached the damn thing to the dash and then got the starter rebuilt.
So how far did the apple fall?

Greasy

This weekend I visited my local Napa with a printed Doghead wire diagram in hand. Hopefully this weekend my M-1009 will not be "running away" in the future.

Thank you Doghead!

Attachments

Smokin

I did it last summer, seemed to solve the issue of ye old run away starter. Then this winter it started running around like a scamp again. It has new batteries since last fall, which still check good. Two new alternators last fall, which charge dandy. So I pulled the starter and had it rebuilt, thinking it might be the solenoid on the starter. Seemed to be fine. Then about a month ago it started doing it sporadically. Pulled the started out, took it to the guy that rebuilt it, who went through it again, replaced the solenoid on warranty. He's also familiar with the Military trucks/electrical systems. Hopped in the truck yesterday, Volt meter reading 26V from the batteries, cranked, engine started, and the starter just kept going. Pulled battery cables (I leave them loose now), and the starter is still engaged (if I touch cables to battery terminals it cranks). I thought maybe the new AC Delco relay under the dash burnt out, but I've check it both times and it's functioning normally. I bought one of the new 24V starers that has the gear reduction on it, I'm going to swap that in and see if it solves the issue. I'm thinking the OG starter is the issue at this point. I might go old timey some day and just put a push button in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks