• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poll - Who has done the Doghead Relay Conversion

Start Relay Conversion/Upgrade

• Yes - I have done the conversion

Votes: 328 60.6%
  • No - I don't plan on doing the conversion

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • No - I haven't done it but plan on doing it soon.

Votes: 162 29.9%

• Total voters

Nathanater

So I bought a relay to do it and put it off for two days. I had a friend over and we were going to go for a ride. I moved the truck, checked the tires and hopped back in ready to go and the gm relay stuck on. So I shoved my hand through the radio hole and pulled it apart as fast as I could. Lost some skin but ship happens. Then we sat there for two minutes changing out the shipy gm relay. Long story short. Just do it!!

roveroverme

Banned
My M1028 has a new starter and OEM starter relay. I did the job today, took maybe 20 mins. Works great ( engine starts) I do notice a clicking about 2 secs after the truck runs and a voltage drop, that soon goes away. Wonder what that is...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably your glow plug relay(on the fire wall).

TVOLLMER

I did it after the starter kicked on while driving down the highway. It burnt up a couple fusable links, bent the starter fork in my new starter, and burnt up my alts. Well worth it.
M1008

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

I just did the DH relay, not that there was anything wrong but wanted piece of mind. I have an 86 for which they claimed to have corrected the issue for the 86 model year. I still did it. took me a little less than an hour and it works fine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fixed the thread title.

35Z-SGM

I did it to my two M1008's and will do the M1028 next year when it warms up. I did it because the conversion is pretty easy to do and relatively cheap. Why risk a breakdown when you can prevent it?

goldneagle

Did mine this week. Thank you Doghead! Mine had the relay hanging over the accelerator peddle. Replaced it. Found the original relay still attached to the mounting plate under the dash. I made a rubber boot to cover it instead of the tape suggestion.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't have a CUCV, but plan on it - when it finally arrives, the doghead relay conversion will be one of the first mods I do.

rampaging-sloth

I did this at the same time as replacing the glow plug relay and glow plug card (new from antennaclimber). Truck was not starting. The truck now starts right up. I should have done this change when i first got the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks