• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poll - Who has done the Doghead Relay Conversion

Start Relay Conversion/Upgrade

• Yes - I have done the conversion

Votes: 328 60.6%
  • No - I don't plan on doing the conversion

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • No - I haven't done it but plan on doing it soon.

Votes: 162 29.9%

• Total voters

sksAL

well, installed the solenoid today, no more starter half kicking out with a shrill grind so far. nice solid SNAP and the starter engages with authority now. and also no worries of 24v frying the crap outta my wiring, starter- and mabey burning my m1028a to a crisp.(and i can send my daughter off in it with confidence). thanks doghead :cool:

Disciple

I didn't do it only because I went to a push-button system instead. I have the new relay in the glove ox but will probably never use it.

Sajer

Did mine today thinking the original relay was bad causing my " no start" problem. Of course it didnt work, but at least its done.
Tomorrow I mess with the starter........

unaffiliated

The other day I bought my doghead relay from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $9.99 in the lawn and garden section. We don't have a Napa in town and I hate that. Advance Auto Parts didn't have the correct one and didn't even have a listing for it when the guy tried looking it up by the part number. I put it on today, only took 20-30 minutes. It took longer to locate bolts and find the drill and drill bits to make an extra hole in the bracket than it did to wire up the relay. I didn't even disconnect the batteries (I know, don't hate on me, I am a professional. Don't try this at home). I simply cut one wire at a time and carefully hooked it up to the new relay. Yes, I like to live dangerously but I have been working on cars for 33+ years so I kinda know what I'm doing. Anyway, I love the SNAP when you turn the key. Thanks doghead for a great mod. Now I have three relays that can be sold on fleabay as A/C relays or I will save them for when I install the factory A/C system from my 78 C10 parts donor. Oh, I also discovered I had an under dash light while checking into some other issues and reading posts on the forum. Never knew that was there. The bulb was missing in mine, another trip to the donor truck and presto, I can see all the spare parts and other crap rolling around the floor, Yippie!!!

BMC

I did it. I think that it's worth the $20 to get one on the truck that's not 26 years old. Even though I didn't need it, it saves me from possibly frying a starter.

Dmoser

I finally got around to doing this mod. It seems to work fine. bad starter but i can hear both the relay and solenoid click so thats a good sign for the relay mod at least

ssdvc

Did mine yesterday. First time I had a bad relay (right out of the box and my attempt at the MOD failed. I took the relay back to NAPA, got another one and installed it. Worked like a charm. And yes, you can hear that relay click over every time.

A simple, well written MOD anyone can perform. ****, I managed it and my electrical skills are lacking !

762luver

Just did mine today. For the money it is very cheap insurance. I'm glad i did do mine. When I took out the stock relay, it was VERY coroded. The preemptive strike wins again!!!

Bairrfhionn82

Did the "Doghead relay" today.The new relay really clicks! Here are my Pictures 1) Old relay and 26 yrs of dust! 2) Picture off of the Doghead mod thread( Thanks to realm for the photo:beer:) 3) Finished project with all the exposed contacts covered with liquid electrical tape. Thank you Doghead for this mod. :beer: :beer:

Attachments