• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poll - Who has done the Doghead Relay Conversion

Start Relay Conversion/Upgrade

• Yes - I have done the conversion

Votes: 328 60.6%
  • No - I don't plan on doing the conversion

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • No - I haven't done it but plan on doing it soon.

Votes: 162 29.9%

• Total voters

unaffiliated

I was working on my grandson's POS Chinese 4 wheeler on Sunday. Every time the grand kids come up, I work on the POS for 2 hours so they can ride it for 30 minutes and get bored with it, awesome. Anyway, I remembered that a while back I installed a "doghead style" starter relay "temporarily". That was about a year ago. Well, then I remembered I bought the correct one for it way back in April. I installed the correct one in the POS so now I have an extra doghead relay if anybody needs one. I wish I had remembered all this stuff last month before I made a special trip into town to 2 different parts stores looking for the doghead relay.aua Oh well it was only $9.99 but I could of spent that on food.

Yesterday I stopped at my insurance broker to p/u a copy of my new insurance card. When I got back in and started the blazer, the starter kept spinning.
I shut the key off, but the starter continued.
Having read about this issue before I knew I should pop the hood and try to get the positives off of the batteries.
So i pulled the hood release, but the hood did not pop (Not Good).

Screaming starter.. and insurance agent looking on.
I decided to try the key again. then back to off.
The starter stopped (hooray).

I got the hood up w/ the engine off and loosened the battery wires in case it happened again. Back to the cab and it started fine. Tightened the batt cables back up, and on my way.

I am not sure if this was the oem relay going bad or the key sticking in the start position. The ignition did not seem like it was stuck in the start position.
Everything felt normal. Has anyone heard of this situation before?

I left the truck running for my other errands, so as not to push my luck.
Once I got home I switched out the relay with the Doghead Conversion (bought it 3 months ago, but never did the mod).

After taking the Blazer out hunting today and starting it 15 or 16 times, no problems. Just wondering if people have had a runaway starter due to the relay that they solved by trying to start it again?

My worry is that its a sticky ignition and will happen again.

Cheers to Doghead for the Mod.

Jeremiah_Johnson

Doghead relay conversion completed

Made a day of it did the doghead relay and 12 volt resistor bypass and AC 60 glowplugs , Now time to focus on a IP rebuild as I started smelling diesel fuel and found IP leaking and fuel coming down back side of engine block. Anybody else had this kind of luck??

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
whats the "Blue wire override for emergency". I have not hear this one.
It's a permanent manual override, just like you did last night with one piece of wire. But done with a pushbutton to use in the cab.

Please discuss other topics in other threads. This thread is a poll.

Rickyoday

I did my M1008 AFTER it tried to burn itself down...luckily I was about 50 ft away from the truck, and saved it from a being total loss. I also did a customer's M1009. No probems with either after the conversion.
Rick

shkira

I was stubborn and intent on making the original system work. I burned up 4 - 5 starters all in a row. To include the scary runaway at leas twice. Thank goodness the fusible links cooked. It was odd since I had used the truck with no problems for two yrs then snap relay problem. No matter what manufaturer I tried same result. Finally noticed that even the GM relays were all manufactured in China. After the dog head mod it has been solid for 3 years! Fantastic. Thanks!

Last edited:

donalloy1

My M1009 Starter Relay was acting up in cold damp conditions. So I decided to do the modification. Have not had an issue since. Thank you very much for support SSer's. Special thanks to Doghead for all R&D! 2centsGave me an excuse to rebuild Instrument Cluster while I was there. All good now! DMLII sends respectfully...

Going to do it soon. My truck must have had a recent issue before I got it. A nice shiny new relay is left dangling by the harness below the dash where it can be unplugged quickly in the event of an emergency...

MarcusOReallyus

I was stubborn and intent on making the original system work. I burned up 4 - 5 starters all in a row.

Okay, you win. You get the Stubborn Of The Year Award! :D

My 1008 is sitting patiently waiting for me to get some other projects done, but once I start into it, this will be one of the first mods I do.

Once it is on the road, I'm selling my other truck so I want this thing to be as reliable as possible.

I've read through the stickies and will be doing most of the recommended mods before I even try to get it registered.

Why re-invent the wheel? You guys have done a lot of good work in finding and killing some common gremlins. I plan to take advantage of the lessons learned by you guys!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks