• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

poor mans HEMTT

namedpipes

Hot Rodders section and channel cars - why not a fire truck? Make it fit just within the limits for street, dimension-wise and weight-wise. Use the bulky steel parts to mold fiberglass repros so you keep the look, and sell the scrap metal to compensate the cost of the project.

AMX

its historic, it is a 1979..

ok i admit , it might have to lose more along the lines of 50k...no biggie

I work with trucking companies, there is a bill in congress attempting to raise the legal weight limit to 105,000 for over the road trucks.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PLEASE remember the following :

1. NO discussion of current auctions permitted on the SteelSoldiers website - you can talk about equipment but NOT the open auctions ! ! !

2. Discussions and "disagreements" about "historic" registration and similar LAWS vary greatly from state to state. Please be State-Specific when "spouting off" and be willing to acknowledge that the other guy probably lives under a different set of LAWS and circumstances than you if he doesn't live in the same state.

Thank you...
Now I'll REconsider whether or not to waste anymore time on that auction since this thread just TRIPLED the expected closing price on that (Texas Historic) Former Military Vehicle.

:soapbox: - - - - - - :rant: - - - - - - - :deadhorse:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PLEASE remember the following :

1. NO discussion of current auctions permitted on the SteelSoldiers website - you can talk about equipment but NOT the open auctions ! ! !

2. Discussions and "disagreements" about "historic" registration and similar LAWS vary greatly from state to state. Please be State-Specific when "spouting off" and be willing to acknowledge that the other guy probably lives under a different set of LAWS and circumstances than you if he doesn't live in the same state.

Thank you...
Now I'll REconsider whether or not to waste anymore time on that auction since this thread just TRIPLED the expected closing price on that (Texas Historic) Former Military Vehicle.

:soapbox: - - - - - - :rant: - - - - - - - :deadhorse:
PS:
If YOU added a post to this thread that breaks the SS RULES, then PLEASE man-up and go back and delete YOUR post. There is NO REAL REASON for this entire thread to be trash-canned by the Moderators just because a few cannot follow the RULES.

Thank you.

Respectfully,
John
San Angelo, TX

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
no one said it was on an auction until now....
I intentionally DID NOT use the QUOTE function when I raised the issue so that I would not give ETERNAL LIFE to the offending post.

Nor did I report the offending post(s) to the website Moderator(s) (YET) since, when I reported a single post in another thread, the WHOLE TREAD was shut down.

PLEASE accept my message as a cautionary reminder (and hope the offending post(s) are voluntarily deleted by their originator(s) ).

SCRAP

man some people sure know how to ruin a good discussion...lets keep it lite guys...those who wish to stomp on my post, no one asked you to come do so.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I wasn't concerned about the age, but the type of vehicle it is. I know for a fact that NY will not title or register my landlords old 1977 Mack dumptruck historic. Once you get above that magic 26,000 pounds with airbrakes, I think you will have a hard time convincing Motor Vehicle that it is a "Historically significant" vehicle. The class I had to take to drive and operate ARFF units was 2 weeks long, and I already had my CDL for years...BTW, they drive like $h!t, horrendous body roll, less than 1 mpg, terrible brakes, but then again, the one I drove had 5000 gallons of water and 400 gallons of foam mix in it. It was a 6x6, could have used the extra braking axle... Might not be too bad if it was always empty. Gonna have to strip the deck guns off the roof to get it under 13'6", got to cut something off the overall length somehow to get it under 45', no way to get it under 102" wide...

Don't get me wrong, I say give it a shot! I just wonder about getting insurance for a 130,000 pound, 50 foot long, 14 foot tall, 10+ foot wide, 8x8 fire truck with big placard on the dash that says "FOR AIRPORT USE ONLY"
MY 819 is 36000+ lbs and has "Historically significant" vehicle plates

Crash trucks weren't meant to be daily drivers. We drove ours once a day for a shake down run down the flight line and we did training in them but they didn't get driven more then a few miles a day. These trucks take ALOT of maintenance. There is LOTS of big moving expensive hard to find parts. It would be next to impossible to get a license plate for one. We were ONLY allowed to drive them on public roads in an emergency situation ONLY. Personally I wouldn't wanna drive them on public roads. They are big take WIDE turns and have blind spots. They also use LOTS of fuel id guess about 4MPG.

While id love to have one I have to be more realistic. Those kind of trucks would be better off serving smaller older airports or municipalities that can maintain them or in a museum exhibit.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It has the same engine as the HEMMT.....440 Detriot V-8 two stroke diesel.

I drove them in Korea and 4 MPG is a wet dream with a load on.

That thing has not one but two V-8 Driptroit engines in it, one just to run the pump......unless you have a fuel truck following you around it will be a truckstop to truckstop run anywhere you go.

Stated weight is 75,000.....if the weight is evenly split between the front and back then it come out to 37,500 per set of tandems.....overweight in most states I have trucked in. My guess is that most of the weight is on the back so the rears would be even heavier.

Not a practical vehicle but way cool.

Maverick1701

I put in for a similar Truck through LESO and the military guys I spoke with said about 50...IIRC the truck I applied for was a teledyne P54? P45? 8x8 crash/rescue truck.

tcody

If that is a P15 the top speed should be somewhere around 50 mph. Those tires are rated to 55 mph. They would not be road legal without special permit as they are 10' wide.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let the guy have some fun with it. Has anybody here tried to register one of these? I would like to see someone be the first. Maybe if he puts a camper on it he can register it as a motorhome.

gavan

7100 gallon water tank. If you could plumb that into the fuel tank and fill it up with diesel you might be able to get decent range out of it!!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has the same engine as the HEMMT.....440 Detriot V-8 two stroke diesel.

I drove them in Korea and 4 MPG is a wet dream with a load on.

That thing has not one but two V-8 Driptroit engines in it, one just to run the pump......unless you have a fuel truck following you around it will be a truckstop to truckstop run anywhere you go.

Stated weight is 75,000.....if the weight is evenly split between the front and back then it come out to 37,500 per set of tandems.....overweight in most states I have trucked in. My guess is that most of the weight is on the back so the rears would be even heavier.

Not a practical vehicle but way cool.

This is why I LOVE the TEXAS FORMER MILITARY VEHICLE LAWS....

ANY Former Military Vehicle, from ANY country, shall be issued a TxFMV Registration REGARDLESS of SIZE or WEIGHT [thumbzup]

Of course, just 'cause it's registered, doesn't mean you don't need PERMITS to move it :grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks