• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pop went the weasel. Any ideas?

epartsman

A beautiful Sunny day in Jax yesterday, my Birthday, driving my 09 to meet up with family for an early dinner and marveling at how good it was running then suddenly a POP was heard and it shut down. I braked hard in order to avoid hitting the guy infront of me that slowed down for no reason then coasted to a stop. It turned over fine but no start. I opened the bleeder on top of the fuel filter housing and had a steady stream of fuel. I checked the fuses, relays, and the fusible links that I could see and everything was fine. Any suggestions? I am slowly running out of ideas.

Last edited:

det rebel

well it could be multiple things that could pop loud enough to get herd = timing chain,fuel pump arm getting snapped,gear popping in front cover ect. . pump locking up snapping the gear or bolts there is many things that could cause be loud enough and kill the truck at the same time

det rebel

"I braked hard in order to avoid hitting the guy infront of me that slowed down for no reason then coasted to a stop. It turned over fine but no start."

terracoma would you be listening to noises if you were in this situation ? and it wont always make a noise depending on where it broke if the woodref key on the camshaft broke it just wouldnt spin the pump anymore but that is gear driven and not chain driven.

but if the chain did break then yea that would make some great noises.

epartsman

All I heard was a quick pop and no mechanical noises. I "thought" it may have been a relay as it "seemed" to have come from inside but both windows were down and it was like a balloon popping. In my defness it seemed to be running smooth with plenty of power and fairly quiet. I charged the batteries and it cranks fine. When you open the top bleeder on the fuel filter it shoots out a nice stream of diesel so there is fuel pressure. Short of removing the timing cover is there any way of seeing if the IP is turning? This is a low 24K mile engine so I wouldnt expect the chain to go yet but stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loosen slightly one of the injector lines, and then turn it over a second or two. Go back and look where it was loosened - if it's wet, the IP is working, tighten it back up.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Great title that help people search in the future. [thumbzup]
Being a cucv, do not think a title matters for a cucv "BROKE" thread because there is SO MANY of them, I am sure one with the CORRECT broke title WILL show up with a simple search

epartsman

Tonight I am going to bring home 2 brand new relays and a 30 amp breaker as there was a 30 amp fuse in that slot which had seen some heat in the past but did not blow. When I tested I used some used ones that I had in the garage. I am going to loosen a line at an injector like scsg suggested and check for fuel. Is there a way to check if the electric shut off valve is working in the IP?

Check the obvious too. Broken belt, broken hose, broken bolt. Check the wires on the injection pump. Start easy and cheap, work from there. I haven't actually learned that lesson myself, I am always sure it is the worst scenario. I often end up spending time and money I could have saved.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was it a POP or more of a BANG?

I had a crankshaft snap while driving down the interstate. The funny part of it is, the engine will crank and start. Makes a bunch of noise but it will run...kind of...:wink:

Hopefully yours is a simple fix.

epartsman

I had a crankshaft snap while driving down the interstate. The funny part of it is, the engine will crank and start. Makes a bunch of noise but it will run...kind of...:wink:

It was a pop like a small birthday balloon being popped with a pin then instant shut off. The drive train at that speed was still turning the engine but with a steady slow down. It was strange and did not sound in the least bit mechanical. I thought the sound came from the dash however I cant remember as it was instantaneous, the windows were down, and I was more worried about the guy infront of me hitting his brakes and slowing down for no apparent reason when all I had was both feet hard pressed to the pedal to slow down.
When it cranks it turns over nice and smooth especially with full charged batteries and there are no abnormal noises. The belts are there and all of the pulleys are turning. I am going to play around with it a little more this evening but not too much as I have limited time. I hope it's something simple as well. It was running almost too good right before this happened.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check to see if you have 12v at the IP fuel shutoff. Also see if the fuel shutoff coil is engaging when power is applied.

readyman

My 6.2 crank broke in half in the HMMWV with more of a 'BANG' too, funny thing how it still cranked and idled, sort of...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks