• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pop went the weasel. Any ideas?

epartsman

I tried new relays and the breaker to no avail. I loosened the line to one of the injectors and spun it over and I had no fuel coming out of the line. I used my test lead and put 12V to the terminal where the heavy gauge pink wire was connected and I did hear a sound, kinda funny like a choke spring unraveling but a sound non the less. I tried to spin it over with the test lead attached and still no start. Does that pink wire have 12V power with ignition on?

I still have some fuel pressure at the filter as it still streams fuel when the top bleeder is opened. Does the IP require a certian amount of pressure to function?
Maybe the fuel pump is weak. I know the diapragms didnt rupture as there is no raw diesel in the crank case and it still has to be functioning somewhat otherwise there would be no pressure at the filter.

If the T chain let go is there any way to see if the cam is turning without major surgery? I hope this turns out to be simple but I will have to wait for the hour I have tomorrow night to do some more diag. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

chevyCUCV

Pull your oil filler neck. Look inside with a flashlight. You can see 3 bolts holding the IP gear on.
Observe the location, and then turn the engine over, see if it changes.

Only 2 bolts to do,

rickf

I tried new relays and the breaker to no avail. I loosened the line to one of the injectors and spun it over and I had no fuel coming out of the line. I used my test lead and put 12V to the terminal where the heavy gauge pink wire was connected and I did hear a sound, kinda funny like a choke spring unraveling but a sound non the less. I tried to spin it over with the test lead attached and still no start. Does that pink wire have 12V power with ignition on?

I still have some fuel pressure at the filter as it still streams fuel when the top bleeder is opened. Does the IP require a certian amount of pressure to function?
Maybe the fuel pump is weak. I know the diapragms didnt rupture as there is no raw diesel in the crank case and it still has to be functioning somewhat otherwise there would be no pressure at the filter.

If the T chain let go is there any way to see if the cam is turning without major surgery? I hope this turns out to be simple but I will have to wait for the hour I have tomorrow night to do some more diag. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
You will not get enough power through the test light to engage the fuel solenoid. There is no timing chain in a 6.2. There is a plug in the timing cover you have to pull out to get to the gear bolts to remove the pump. You can see if it is turning through there. If not you probably have a broken crank. Have someone turn it over while you look at the lower pully. Is it straight or wobbling around? The crank usually breaks right behind #2 rod journal and also usually takes out the front main journal and the timing cover.

Hasdrubal

"There is no timing chain in a 6.2" Nicely stated as fact when in fact you are spewing misinformation. Dont bother posting when you dont know what you're talking about. There is a timing chain, its behind the aluminum timing gear cover.

epartsman

RickF I was using a test lead not a test light. A wire with 2 alligator clips but not as heavy duty as the pink wire to the IP. Thank you ChevyCUCV for your advise as I will attempt that tomorrow. I do not believe the crank is broken simply because it turns over smooth and I can see the accessories and fan turning from the driver seat and the hood up. When I got it last year with only 23k miles on it I had a diesel mechanic friend of mine install the DSG stud girdle while sealing up the oil leaks below, pan, rear main, etc. The engine was pristine inside and the girdle was a little PM to prevent web failure. I have been watching the dampner and there is no wobble at all. Like I said no noises indicating a self destruction. Tomorrow I will verify if the IP is turning and will report back.

ODdave

Run a jumper wire directly from the batery +12 to the spade terminal on the top of the IP. It should make a solid "click" no other noise. If it dose leave it hooked up and crank the engine.

Also, If the lift pump is pumping fuel the cam is turning.......

rickf

"There is no timing chain in a 6.2" Nicely stated as fact when in fact you are spewing misinformation. Dont bother posting when you dont know what you're talking about. There is a timing chain, its behind the aluminum timing gear cover.
My mistake, I was thinking of a powerstroke. I work on several brands. You do not have to be such an a** in pointing it out do you? You could say "you are mistaken" I am and have been a certtified master tech both auto and truck for 42 years. I am still human though and as such I do still make mistakes. I guess you never make mistakes, or at least never admit to them.

Rick

epartsman

Sounds like your crank shaft broke. Hope not..
Well I have had further diag time. Crank cannot be broken. Pulled oil fill tube and cam and IP are turning. Pulled lower hose on fuel filter housing, the one that goes to the IP, and had my daughter turn her over. Plenty of clean diesel sprayed out with good pressure so the lift pump is fine. I pulled the pink wire off of the top of the IP and with the ign on touched it to the connecter on the IP and it clicked. A sort of springy click but a click none the less. I pulled the return hose on top of the IP and there was fuel puddled there. I turned it over again but nothing came out of the return other than what was there.

One last thing I forgot to mention. I had been experiencing longer cold start times which required 1/2 to recently full trottle before it would start. I attributed that to the weepy fuel filter housing I was just about to replace and the possibilty of some air getting into the line causing a slight loss of prime. Then of course POP went the diesel and she quit while she was running soo smooth and perfect. So My SS Brothers is there anything else you can think of before I have to pull my IP and get it rebuilt? J.

Last edited:

trukhead

How about taking a breaker bar and a socket and wiggling the harmonic balancer bolt to see if there is slop in the crank? No slop great, slop, oh oh spagehttios!:doghead:

epartsman

How about taking a breaker bar and a socket and wiggling the harmonic balancer bolt to see if there is slop in the crank? No slop great, slop, oh oh spagehttios!:doghead:
OK Ill try that tomorrow but how would that prevent fuel getting from the IP to the injectors? The lift pump is working so the cam is turning. I DSG stud girdled this engine when I bought it as I had to reseal the oil pan, replace the flywheel, and rear main anyway. This is a 26K mile engine and the balancer does not wobble when it turns. It did not wobble when it rain either. The timing chain is fine, the cam and IP turn fine.

tbearatkin

Why this may not be the best advice I was at least able to help my in my troubleshooting. I sprayed a small fine mist of diesel fuel into the intake. The vehicle ran just fine until it lost its fuel source I had previously did trouble shooting with the filter, mechanical fuel and check the pink wire (yes it clicked) also checked the return valve all check out. Turned out my Injector pump was shot.

epartsman

I'm thinking it’s your fuel shut off solenoid or your IP went

was the pop like an eletrical short pop?
Yes thats why I started with the relays and fuses because it definetly sounded electrical not mechanical.
I am leaning toward the IP being the problem. I was quoted $425 by L&J Diesel to do the rebuild then I have to buy gaskets etc which is not in the budget right now unless I can sell my Genny trailer.
The solenoid clicks but sounds weird not like a solid click but springy like the electrical portion is turning but not the valve part of the solenoid.

Last edited:

CycleJay

Hello epartsman,

If all else fails. Just take it to L&J Diesel, and have them diagnose the problem.

It could not hurt, and most likely the estimate should be free.

Just my $0.02 cents...

Good luck, wish I could help you more.

ODdave

Have you taken the top off the ip and mechanicaly moved the shut down lever? Mabye try that before you pull the pump and send it off. Sounds like funds are tight so this free test is worth doing. A new top cover is much cheaper than a pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks