• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possable Sabatoge- The Clean Up

WarrenD

You should be able to test for the presence of water yourself. They make a paste that you put on a stick and it'll change color if water is present. Gas stations use it all the time. You might be able to borrow a blob from a friendly station employee or find out where they get the stuff. Might be handy to use if you are making your own fuel, could save a lot of trouble.

MB4wd

I second or third the trail cam idea. I had some neighborhood kids that would ring my doorbell and run off (an attempt to flirt with my daughter iI suspect). The IR trail cam on video mode caught them in the act. I simply put it up in the tree, and aimed it at the door. Their parents were not happy with them and their performances on screen, and it halted the issue. Technology is your friend.

22b

Water finding paste that I use is called Kolorcut. Designed more for diesel/aviation kerosene. Gold in colour, turns blood red when water is present, even the slightest amount. Will turn red when you touch it with any sweat on your hands. Everyone should have it-cheap insurance.

WarrenD

Water finding paste that I use is called Kolorcut. Designed more for diesel/aviation kerosene. Gold in colour, turns blood red when water is present, even the slightest amount. Will turn red when you touch it with any sweat on your hands. Everyone should have it-cheap insurance.
I saw that during my search but couldn't verify that it was available in the USA. I did find there were several products that would do the same thing. I agree that everyone should have this and it would be even more important for those mixing their own fuel.

xTravis125x

Im pretty sure its water. After my landcruiser was stuck in a creek for a few hours, I changed the gear axle oil and it looked the exact same as the stuff that was in my tank.
got water in the front differential on my blazer before, gear oil turned into a muddy brown color and smelled horrible, got pics of it somewhere if u want to see it

tm america

i have a couple of questions?First do you offroad the truck?Second does the waste oil you burn come from a general repair shop or trans shop...If you take it off road most likely you took water in through the vent near the back of the engine .or someone left the master cyl vent loose and sucked water up that way...if you are getting your waste oil from a general repair shop it could have been mixed in from an engine swap they did or something like that.I wouldn't trust waste oil unless you know where it came from it only takes a little water in one bucket to mess up the whole batch.i think i have seen some locking gas caps that fit the deuce tank..Or you could take a peice of plastic or rubber that is uneffected by fuel to put around the outside of the of the fuel tank screen..That way if someone puts something in there it wont get into the fuel and you will know what it is they are putting in there.Someone might have stolen some fuel from your truck and got mad when they put it in thier truck and ruined the fuel system ...so they might be trying to get you back cuz they are just plain old bumb

Josh

i have a couple of questions?First do you offroad the truck?Second does the waste oil you burn come from a general repair shop or trans shop...If you take it off road most likely you took water in through the vent near the back of the engine .or someone left the master cyl vent loose and sucked water up that way...if you are getting your waste oil from a general repair shop it could have been mixed in from an engine swap they did or something like that.I wouldn't trust waste oil unless you know where it came from it only takes a little water in one bucket to mess up the whole batch.i think i have seen some locking gas caps that fit the deuce tank..Or you could take a peice of plastic or rubber that is uneffected by fuel to put around the outside of the of the fuel tank screen..That way if someone puts something in there it wont get into the fuel and you will know what it is they are putting in there.Someone might have stolen some fuel from your truck and got mad when they put it in thier truck and ruined the fuel system ...so they might be trying to get you back cuz they are just plain old bumb
First of all, I offroad the **** out of the truck.

Second. I get the oil from my a high performance motocross shop. Most of the stuff I get is $10-30/quart synthetic oils. They dont mix the radiator juice with the oil or anything else. Also the drums are stored inside both at his work, and after I get them. Lastly the oil is ran through a pair of fuel/water seperator fuel filters.

Third. It turned from black as night oil(been in the tank a few days with 100+ miles on the tank) to brown nasty color(as seen in the pictures) while it was sitting at my work on a day that it didnt rain.

Hope that didnt come across as condicending, as it wasnt my intention.

Also I'm not even sure if someone messed with the truck, it just seems like the mostly likly cause in my mind for the fuel to change so rapidly. It had been sloshing around in my tank for few days and to have it just suddently change seemed odd.

Update - Yanked the secondaries housing off the truck to replace the filters. Figure since the hosing is off, Now is a good time to change all those vinyal lines that have patched a few times with rubber hoses. Goal is to have the truck back on the road by monday. It just kills to go buy the diesel to flush the system out. Last time I bought diesel for it was only 2.75/gal.

Last edited:

G-Force

We have water switches installed on our oil reservoirs for the equipment I work on. I'll see if I can cross reference who is the manufacturer for us. They do work pretty good. You might want to look into something like that Josh.

Edit: Found the website for the switch Josh (had to figure out who made it first before I could find the site). They are probably pricey but they do work...and they are adjustable......hope this helps.

http://www.balluff.com/Balluff/us/ProductsChannel/Product+Detail/en/?menuLevel=2

Last edited:

Josh

Got it all cleans and mostly put back together before I started her up. I filled all three fuel filter canisters with ATF. Since I wanted to purge the return line back from the secondary filters to the IP back to the secondaries. I left the return line disconected and cranked the truck over. To my supprise it started and I let it run for a minute not realzing the line was still disconected. I then noticed a puddle of ATF inside my truck and realized "oh ****" its spraying everwhere. Well On the bright side, at least my firewall and motor are rustproofed now :shock:. So I rectified that. Started the truck back up and after seeing a pool of red emerge from under the truck, I remembered I forgot to connect the return line on the tank back up. At this point its dark and I'm tired and covered in a nice blend of ATF/Diesel.

Truck is back up and running(mostly) just need to reconect the line on the tank and I think its time to go for a test drive.

And she seems to be running alot better after a few minutes on ATF then it was before.

Attachments

Flyingvan911

A tank of straight (filtered) WMO should slow the thieves down. It would cost them way more than a tank of gas to get their fuel system cleaned and fixed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks