• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible purchase

Jim Hunter

Hello guys,

I plan to go to see some 5tons this weekend that are for sale in a yard.
I really have zero experience on them...just love them...
Basically I was looking for a m123 but very hard to locate (Greece)...
I would prefer a tractor w/winch...What I have to take care of ?
What are the most weak points on these ?
Also what batteries are required to start these ???

Thank you for your help

Jim

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Big batterys are best. Not too sure on the other questions. Best read up on the tech manuals, all your questions will be answered there.

emr

show some pics than read a million or 2 threads on em :) there are alot of differences and alot of similarities, a 5 ton what for example ... G-744...G-852...G-908 or M809...M939 ... :) just sayin alot of similarities and alot of differences... good luck ... :) and yes good advise on the ten ton ... not a 5 ton ... :)

M813A1

A M123 or M125 are 10 Ton Trucks !! The M123A1C series with the V903 Cummins diesel take 4 batteries , 2 under the passenger seat and 2 under the passenger door !! The V903 Cummins Engine in the M123 are prone to breaking the Cooling fan Support bracket and that allows the fan to fall into the radiator !! So you have to pay good attention to that !! Those truck are some pulling horses !! At Full speed bobtail they will make arond 43 mph going downhill without the trailer !!

Jim Hunter

Some random pictures mostly are 2 1/2 tons only one I think 5 ton recovery...
The last photos shows a truck (m34 says tag) with single rear tyres...

Attachments

Last edited:

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with your quest, looks like there are plenty of potential candidates if you have the time. Parts shouldn't be an issue from the looks of it. The manuals you can access online here will help alot, and there are always guys here willing to help, wreckerman, gimpyrob, and the various moderators among others who seem to know alot more than some of us. I know they've heled me alot.:D

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M54 has the Continental 6602 gasoline engine which has a good reputation. Look out for manifold cracks. It is very expensive to operate due to high fuel consumption, twice that of a diesel.