• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering bracket

JohnFire

I reinforced the brand new one that I had put on the last time. It was the 3rd power steering bracket in less than 10 years but the second one only lasted 2 years.

Subjock

Great thread! I'll add my discovery, since it might be useful. I decided to pull the stud holding the PS bracket (15mm hex) which goes through the water pump, since the threads were stripped (no wonder the bracket kept loosening!) and found it booby trapped as radiator fluid proceeded to gush all over my boots! Nice engineering work, GM! [thumbzup] I'll post the stud part # as soon as I locate it.

kentuckycucv

My bracket broke again but in a different spot... the top tab broke...I tightened it, and am leaving it for now but im going to weld it, since it appears replacement is futile. Im going to keep adding metal. Maybe weld another washer. PS subjock, i found bolts and studs at the true value hardware store to fix...

WARWAG

Seems to me someone would have by now fabbed up a bracket out of 3/16" or 1/4" plate. If mine ......when mine catches that the last train West I will buy a new one as a template and fab one up that will be able to handle the stress it is under and then some. This is to much work for a repeat problem. I will post pics here when that day comes.

kentuckycucv

Well I went out and bought a welder:-D (mig no gas) I figure the cost of new power steering brackets are going to keep going up because the life span is pretty short, and they are discontinued... Plus I always wanted one. Anyway I figure after a few Youtube videos i will know how to weld. Maybe I will film my Power Steering Beef up. Im going to weld more metal on it. i just got to find some scap metal aroung the house... (Washers, nails, door hinges, coat hangers...)

Subjock

Darn, had found a similar stud that fits from a humvee listing, but lost the NSN#! Totally Stainless will fab one up, its a #10 metric, 15mm hex nut. If I ever get access to a scanner, I'll post a drawing of it.

kentuckycucv

Well I watched some You tube videos and started welding... thank goodness I have a grinder. It aint pretty but I got it back together, and hopefully it will last longer than a new one.
Here are the after pics. I got a great deal on a used welder and I had more fun than I would have had waiting for a new bracket coming from places unknow....

Attachments

kentuckycucv

I bought a gasless mig welder from a pawn shop. A made in America welder. I told the guy I could buy a New one at Harbor Frieght for $109 plus the cupon... (you could too) so I got a deal. Anyway Im a bit of a horder and I have had a welding mask on a shelf for 5 years... i knew it would come in handy some day. Welding was fun and easy. I had to add a piece of metal to the side. I was going to use a nail, or a metal plumbing piece but I found a square thing that I didnt know what it was... Anyway I was going to weld some other crap on it for fun, like washers around the bolt holes but I quit while I was ahead. 4 wheeling today and so far so good. i ran over some ceder trees too. I love My cucv. im taking my date out in it tonight... got a full tank of fish fry oil.

allrevup

Well I watched some You tube videos and started welding... thank goodness I have a grinder. It aint pretty but I got it back together, and hopefully it will last longer than a new one.
Here are the after pics. I got a great deal on a used welder and I had more fun than I would have had waiting for a new bracket coming from places unknow....

GOOD REPAIR work!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks