• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Steering Possibility?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The .275 servo came in today. As well as a power steering pump. I ordered a 3x8x1.25 double action cylinder. I'm going to just use a single cylinder and keep the stock drag link in place. Hopefully I'll win a trans cooler on ebay too for like $23. I have the couplers ordered. Once I get all the major parts in place, I'll measure up the hoses and order all that from surplus center. I will plan on replacing the steering wheel on my truck but I haven't decided yet on what size/type/exc. Just know that it'll be smaller in diameter. I don't see the need for a quick detach. But it might be easier to attach a aftermarket "racing" wheel to it. Is there an adapter that will work with the factory splines?

7bdiver

Def interested in hearing how the single cylinder does. Mounting it will be so much easier, and unlike the full hydraulic steering type valve, your lock-to-lock turns of the wheel will stay the same. I think thats really the only complaint anyone had with the single ram. Is 8" going to be long enough? If you still need the mounts, Boyce equipment has ones ready to go. One welds to the diff, and the other goes on the tie rod.

I never did find an after market steering wheel or adapter that worked with the military spline. If you want to put a modern/standardized steering wheel on there, I'd just saw the old spline off and weld a new one on. Make sure its a good weld tho!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was told 8 was enough from the mud people that run hydro steering. I know yours was a 9". But when it comes to cyl you have 8 then 10. So no 9 option. I'll probably just torch my own plates.

Probably wouldn't be terribly hard to hack up the already broken up military steering wheel and turning a flange to weld onto it and drill a "racing" steering wheel pattern onto it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks