• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Steering Possibility?

I'm not saying that all.... But spending $2500 to $3000 for a power steering system is rediculous. Let's face it that's another truck....

I'm not really looking for the garrison setup is rather a saginaw box or a ross box but like I said I can't find one.....

Some help this site is when everyone just tells you to search..... Might as well shut the forum down and just make everyone search it.....

i have been been searching for a week and if I found one I would have it in my hands as we speak.....

Guess ss it go back to searching since no one wants to help a fellow out

JasonS

I made some missteps along the way with my ross box which increased the cost somewhat but could do it again for ~$1k. The garrison valve new will be more than $1k and doesn't fix the number of turns lock to lock PLUS it requires a slave cylinder. I don't know why you can't find a ross box; I just did a search and found numerous results. What do you find when you search? Have you looked through any salvage yards? I am not sure how to help; I bought two from local yards. It can be a little intimidating but it can be done. Just take your time and ask questions.

rustystud

I'm not saying that all.... But spending $2500 to $3000 for a power steering system is rediculous. Let's face it that's another truck....

I'm not really looking for the garrison setup is rather a saginaw box or a ross box but like I said I can't find one.....

Some help this site is when everyone just tells you to search..... Might as well shut the forum down and just make everyone search it.....

i have been been searching for a week and if I found one I would have it in my hands as we speak.....

Guess ss it go back to searching since no one wants to help a fellow out

Don't give up hope. I agree with you about the torque generator. I have been searching the wrecking yards and salvage places to no avail. Of course I'm out here in the Pacific Northwest where parts are few since
anything over 2 years old gets scrapped and sent to China. Back east they have all the good stuff, and if you find It there, the shipping will kill you ! So back to the same old problem, trying to find a OLD, RARE
steering gear box to use. Lately I have switched to trying to find the Saginaw 710 box, still no luck except the rebuilt units which can cost up to $2000.00 !!! (without core, and since I can't find one I have no core ). So unless one of these steering guru's can come up with a new steering gear to use, I think the torque generator is something to look into.
What about a torque generator with a ram assist on the tie-rod ?

$1000 I have no problem spending.....

I've searched ross hf54 ross power steering ross steering box I've searched part numbers grumbel posted and I called a few places some had the phone disconnect or changed numbers.

i only know of one big truck junk yard within a 45 minute drive from my house and they want to know a year make and model of the truck it's coming off of and I couldn't find that.

the one link some one posted for heavydutytruckparts.net either is no longer available or they took the part off their site cause it doesn't come up.

Trust me I'm not looking to cheap out here I'm spending $5000 on a truck and I have had many go fast toys..... And the last offroad vehicle I had was a 08 4 door wrangler on 37's that I had lots of money wrapped into....

im in just looking for a good viable option for power steering but I'm coming up to dead ends except for full hydro steering..... And I'm not going to put my family in a truck or let my wife drive a truck that is squirrely on the highway.

here is my jeep that I built and my racing kart I used to have that I built everything on it except machine work to engine...... I'm also a supervisor at a welding fab shop and have been a certified welder for years, just so you don't think I'm some young dumb punk

Attachments

That's another thing ones I did find for reasonable price for $400 to $500 they wanted a core and a core charge was $500

i am looking at a torque generator now that has a power assist output which gives you a option to run auxiliary hydraulics, but that would almost defeat the purpose of the torque generator

Patracy had said something about a steering servo and I have found those for a reasonable price. They would kinda be like the idea of chaining a orbital valve to the stem and would send fluid to a ram mounted on the axle or passenger frame rail.

But like said above you still have all the turns of a stock deuce box.

i have a full 5 ton steering setup available to me for $300 that's everything box, cylinder, column, drag link, and external cummins pump I mean the entire system..... Why could the frame rail be sectioned boxed up and sink the steering box farther into the frame rail so there wouldn't be any tire clearance issues? If your losing the original box why couldn't you do this? Obviously it would take some fab work and welding which is no problem but this could be a viable option for me especially for the price

JasonS

I wanted a SAFE steering system at a low cost and looked at the OEM systems for guidance. Some things you won't find on OEM on-road trucks: full hydraulic steering, torque generators, steering servos, jam nuts, etc. There are already two good solutions: the HF54 and Tom's kit. IMHO, the rest are crap shortcuts. My generalization is that Tom's kit requires $$$, the ross system requires some work on the part of the installer/ owner. If you don't want to buy Tom's kit and instead want to do the ross box, you will have to scrounge the yards and make some custom parts. I bought a new box for $250 and a used one for $175 with pitman arm. I don't know what else to say other than look harder.

JasonS

So back to the same old problem, trying to find a OLD, RARE
steering gear box to use. Lately I have switched to trying to find the Saginaw 710 box, still no luck except the rebuilt units which can cost up to $2000.00 !!! (without core, and since I can't find one I have no core ).
Gotta look harder; they are out there and not rare.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I made my post in this thread yesterday and read the comments, I'm going to hold off on the torque generator and explore using a orbital valve from a hydrostatic unit. I've got several hydrostatic units in my stash of parts that came off various scrap equipment so it won't cost me anything to play with it.

I'm thinking the biggest challenge with using a chain drive orbital valve is figuring out how to "time" it with the stock system. Looks like it's going to take some trial and error and a lot of figuring of sprocket sizes and slave cylinder sizes to balance the system.

rustystud

Gotta look harder; they are out there and not rare.
That's easy for you to say ! I have searched for over 3 months now. Some have the Ross HF54 but not the correct one. At this time I've started to look for a newer gear box that will be close enough to be made to fit. Either inside the rails or outside, at this point I don't care ! All I do know is that I am unable to enjoy my truck :( . I also do not want to pay $3000.00 for a steering system .

Last edited:
Ok so I did a bunch more research today searching different ways such as ross/trw and different numbers and makes and models that a ross hf54 came in.....

I found about 10 places that sell them but they all say call for pricing.... I'm assuming that's not good lol but I'm hoping to nab one for $250 to $450 including core charge.

I'm going to call Monday and I'll make a list of where and how much they want.

i found one box for $150 plus shipping but the part numbers didn't match any I found in here, plus it had no pit man arm.

I'm really thinking this might be the best route to go now. A custom drag link is a piece of cake for me, just gonna find some TRE and thread and sleeve some dom tubing.

I want to try and find one with the four ports already done so I can add in ram assist later by just adding some hoses and a cylinder.

I'm not going to attempt this till spring when it's warm out and I can have minimal down time on the truck, hopefully it will only take a weekend. When I do I will do a complete how to thread with part numbers where to buy and measurements so anyone can duplicate it without guess work. I think (depending on box prices) I can do this with a belt driven pump over the generator/alternator for $750 to $1000. I'm not paying $500 + for a 5 ton pump when better pumps can be had for around $75 to $100 and a little bracketry. I'm hoping to make a 12v alternator and pump mount all in one.

this should greatly help out new members like myself and even guys who are now ready to do a PS swap instead of telling them to use the search button.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
there was someone on SS a while back that was going to make power steering kits and sell them for around $600. what ever happened to him?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Lately I have switched to trying to find the Saginaw 710 box, still no luck except the rebuilt units which can cost up to $2000.00 !!! (without core, and since I can't find one I have no core ). So unless one of these steering guru's can come up with a new steering gear to use, I think the torque generator is something to look into.
What about a torque generator with a ram assist on the tie-rod ?
I will sell you as many rebuilt 710 boxes as you want for $600, with shipping included and no core.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I disagree. This device assists the driver in turning the column. The laws of physics don't change between where the shaft enters the steering box and the steering effort is exerted out to turning the wheels. That does not change, this device lessens the effort that the driver is required to input to turn the steering column. Just like a pulley doesn't increase the loaded weight, it reduces the effort to move it.
could you explain how this makes steering easier? when you turn the steering wheel with the same relative effort, what makes the tires turn?

Ok so I'm waiting on few call backs yet.... But the ross boxes are still out there. I only found one place that would sell a used box and they still wanted $400 shipped. I will make a complete list tonight when I get done work with numbers and websites but a remaned box is gonna cost $550 at the cheapest and $50 to $75 to ship it plus another $100 or so for the pitman arm..... So I'm guessing by the time I get a pump and hoses and fittings plus drag link it's gonna cost around $1000 bucks to do it.....

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
could you explain how this makes steering easier? when you turn the steering wheel with the same relative effort, what makes the tires turn?
The effort to turn the steering wheel is assisted by the aux unit. Ultimately there is no additional torque applied to the steering box (except like Clinto mentioned you lose the "Armstrong" fuse). I don't know how else I can explain this.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
The effort to turn the steering wheel is assisted by the aux unit. Ultimately there is no additional torque applied to the steering box (except like Clinto mentioned you lose the "Armstrong" fuse). I don't know how else I can explain this.
so you are talking about a system with a ram on the drag link or tie rod?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks