• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power

Jerchambers

Ok so, I have been trying to troubleshoot something for a while now and with no luck. About two weeks ago I replaced the brushes and the 12v bus bar in my driver side alternator. The idiot light was coming on and the power cable was loose. So, after replacing the parts and as the alternator guy tested the alternator and said it was testing good, I saw the idiot light come on again. It goes away when the gas pedal is engaged and lights up when it is released. Now when I first start Hulk in the morning or after a long period of sitting, it becomes difficult to start. It will turn over then stall, and after cranking for about 10 sec the second time it starts with a little gas and the volt meter shows yellow. After he warms up the volt meter shows green and almost in the red at the far right of the gauge. The fuel gauge acts like a RPM gauge as well.
I have also installed recently a 900W Power Brite Inverter to the radio hook up in the rear of the passenger seat. This inverter is shutting down due to excessive load. I am not an electrician and know nothing about this stuff other than what I have been learning from this website. I am at a loss and have been waisting valuable time trying to find what the problem is. It seems when I fix one thing something else comes up.

blackhueys

had similar issue as you I had both alts rebuilt by a reputable shop told them I WANT everything inside replaced well got them back and yep both gen lights on dim now well got bored and ripped one of the alts down my self and found out they did not change the diode trio or the voltage regulator both parts where original gm parts in both alts since I did changed these parts no more lights or charging issues and yes they bench tested good but only on the bench not the truck. Might want to try this first as it was only about 2 hours to pull and about 25 in parts cost cheap and easy check. Hope this helps

southdave

Dude it sound like ground,had somthing similar ck motor ground and body ground. fyi your alt sound ok I have been told the alt exciter dosn't engage til 750rpm, also your glow cycle til the engine reaches 70.. batteries crap in out sound like they are do to ground issue

Last edited:

Jersey4x4

Agreed. The isolated alternators will bench test good if the trio is weak but when installed in the truck in the OEM 2 stage wiring setup the gen light will be on dim and go out when you give it throttle. In defense of the alt guy. The OEM GM reg and trio are made by Motorola and under normal use they do not fail and most shops will leave them in because the replacement is made in china and not that great. As for the fuel gauge and starting issue. I would get the alt problem fixed first then the starting problem and then worry about accessories. The start and stall issue sounds like fuel to me. Most likely fuel pump or filter housing air leak and it will get worse.

had similar issue as you I had both alts rebuilt by a reputable shop told them I WANT everything inside replaced well got them back and yep both gen lights on dim now well got bored and ripped one of the alts down my self and found out they did not change the diode trio or the voltage regulator both parts where original gm parts in both alts since I did changed these parts no more lights or charging issues and yes they bench tested good but only on the bench not the truck. Might want to try this first as it was only about 2 hours to pull and about 25 in parts cost cheap and easy check. Hope this helps