• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prepping to run WMO "Free Fuel"

Hiddensun

Here's a picture of my setup as of now. I am planning on running WMO in my deuce. Here I am prefiltering before it goes in the centrifuge, the centrifuge I don't have yet:cry:. I have however ordered and paid for it:mrgreen:, just don't have it yet:cry:. I get the oil from the dealership that I work at, so I know what's in it. It is pretty filthy at the bottom of some of the techs drain pans. That's the only reason I am prefiltering. Cut wear, tear, and time on the centrifuge. This setup runs as so, if you cant tell from the picture. 15gal. drum, thru pump, thru filter, into 55gal drum. The white top 55gal drum is clean as a whistle inside so that will be storage one post-centrifuge. I swap the 15gal ones to and from work as necessary. It's easier than trying to move the 55gal one full (440lbs). Its also allows me to filter while I transfer barrels. So far everything has gone well. I will post more pics and results after I get my goose that lays golden oil. Feel free to bring in the constructive criticism.

IMG_1668_zps5b5e4e1c.jpg

Hiddensun

Gimpyrob the pump is only for transfer. I have a nice pump coming with my centrifuge kit. You can't beat 35 dollar at harbor frieght for a pump that's designed for water but does oil just fine. A little slower but just fine. I believe the fram tough guards are 10 micron. Centrifuge will take care of the rest.

M925 it should run fine. My deuce has the multifuel which was designed for this. Might be more smoke and some trouble with cold starts. I don't plan on running straight. I plan to cut it with diesel. I haven't found a straight answer on percentages of fuel oil mix though. Some say they run it straight others say that's a no no. Still have some research to be had.

Cruceno

I agree, no more than 50/50 on average. A little more oil on occasion shouldn't affect you too much. You can run a little more in the summer, but should tone in down to about 80/20 in the winter since it gets thicker.

Just remember that for every dollar that you're saving by running WMO, you should be preppared to spend on maintenance (filters, injectors, IP, etc).

And filter, filter, filter, filter...

svd dragunov

I use a higher ratio when its warm (around 70% WMO) but when its cold you definantly want more diesel in there. otherwise starting is a PITA. the biggest problem i see running higher ratios of WMO is the strain it puts on yor IP.
A member here had to replace his HH recently after a 600 mile trip on 100% WMO (that was questionably filtered) in freezing cold weather. It was still running but was having issues.

so as long as the viscosity is correct you should be allright. that was the worst case scenario i could think of. Your results may vary

Ideally you should run nothing but diesel, unless its an emergency.

chigger

I have a centrifuge from simplecentrifuge. I recommend that you get a 5 gal bucket and add a drain pipe to the bottom. Then get a drop in filter for the bucket. They are very cheap and you can dump the filter out, rinse it out, etc.. This catches the really nasty stuff like leaves and other junk. Just set the 5 gal bucket on top of your drum when you want to dump oil in.

I would recommend building or buying a settling tank. This will allow the milky oil, trash, and water to settle out of the oil. If you don’t do this you will find that you need to dump the centrifuge bowl often which is messy.

The last thing I would recommend is a “super sucker”. This is a vacuum tank to collect used oil. This is by far the best way. Find a broken air compressor with wheels that has a tank in the 20-35 gallon range. Remove the compressor and add a small 12v diaphragm pump. Add some valves, fittings, and hoses and you have a super sucker. Trust me on the super sucker. Don’t waste your time with fluid pumps.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to check into getting a blenders license and pay your state tax on your "free" fuel.

Anymore most states make businesses account for all their waste oil and show where it went. Some day the state may come knocking on your door.

Last edited:

Diecorpse

Always better to be safe than sorry. I sually just dumped oil in my tank I had from changing my oil, but after looking into doing it on a larger scale, legally, it seems to become more technical now days.

Captaincarrier

You might want to check into getting a blenders license and pay your state tax on your "free" fuel.

Anymore most states make businesses account for all their waste oil and show where it went. Some day the state may come knocking on your door.
If stopped and they find 'free fuel' you are subjected to both state and federal fines. IRS starts at $1 per gallon or $1,000 which ever is greater (I am sure that is per tank).

Hiddensun

As for the ratio I will probably start out small and gradually get greater. Basically just play with it and see how it reacts. I have all new filters for the truck in case one or more decide to cease operation.

Chigger; I have a drain on the bottom of my centrifuge setup which I will picture below. I prefilter before storing (pictured above) and when I remove dirty oil from my storage container I leave the bottom 6-8 inches alone and just consider it waste, debris and water. They sit out in the sun for a few day and just let natural (and free) settling happen. My centrifuge setup also has a heater band that I wrap around it and will be insulating the drum. It will remove water content. Your super sucker is a good idea.

Warthog; I'm not sure about a blenders license. This is just a simple back yard operation. Also my work paper trails their waste oil so they are covered there. They also have a "CleanHeat" oil burner for the winter months. I snag my oil from the techs before it hits the storage container though. Not too worried about the state coming by anytime soon. Not that I'm doing anything illegal.

Anyway here is my centrifuge setup I finished putting together last night. The only thing not pictured is the heater band and insulation which I havent done yet. IMG_1762.jpgIMG_1761.jpgIMG_1760.jpgIMG_1759.jpgIMG_1758.jpgIMG_1757.jpgIMG_1756.jpgIMG_1755.jpgIMG_1754.jpg

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice thought you have about not doing anything illegal, you're wrong but it's a nice thought. Do people get away with it? Yes. Have people been caught? Yes.

If you run any fuel in your truck without paying the taxes on it you are in violation of both state and federal law. Like Warthog said, look into a blenders license/permit/tax form or whatever they call it. Paying 30 cents a gallon tax (or whatever your state is) and federal tax is a whole lot cheaper than just a single fine if they dip your tank and make an example of you.

Cheap insurance for peace of mind.

phil2968

....Also my work paper trails their waste oil so they are covered there. ...
If they track used oil picked up I know they have purchase quantities for the fresh oil on file. As long as they don't compare the two and find a difference in picked up vs. delivered.
We also have a 300 gallon fresh oil tank at work and a waste oil tank. The same company brings the fresh and removes the waste oil. Do they compare amounts? It makes me wonder if they do or will ever. Who would they tell if were off by 50 or 100 gals. Just something to think about.

Hiddensun

Like I said not worried about my work keeping track, cause people leave waste oil there outside the door overnight, techs bring waste oil from home and other sources. So oil in and oil out is going to vary regardless. As for the illegal part I guess I was more referring to the use of my setup and the bulk storage of oil on my property. I appreciate the heads up on the blenders permit. I am looking into it now.

Ford Mechanic

I'll throw you a fish..... The IRS exempts you from federal taxes as long as your useing less than 400 gallons a quarter. I'll attach the laws so you have them. Top of page 4(I think) under Exclusions, Minor blending.View attachment 26_cfr_48_4081_1_IRS_fuel_blender_laws PDF.pdf

You now just have to findout what your state requires to legally run free fuel. Here in NC I pay .37 a gallon and had to aquire a Blender's license(just paperwork), your state will vary. To find out more info start at your state revenue department asking about exisize tax, that should get you real close.

InfiniteFoamies

This excerpt from page four has got me wondering... "(2) Diesel fuel -- (i) In general. Except as provided in paragraph (c)(2)(ii) of this section, diesel fuel means any liquid that, without further processing or blending, is suitable for use as a fuel in a diesel-powered highway vehicle or diesel-powered train. A liquid is suitable for this use if the liquid has practical and commercial fitness for use in the propulsion engine of a diesel-powered highway vehicle or diesel-powered train. A liquid may possess this practical and commercial fitness even though the specified use is not the liquid's predominant use. However, a liquid does not possess this practical and commercial fitness solely by reason of its possible or rare use as a fuel in the propulsion engine of a diesel-powered highway vehicle or diesel-powered train." If we don't "blend it" des this mean it is not taxable? Or if we purchase it for $1 ad pay that sales tax?

Ford Mechanic

Are you asking that if you run 100% WMO or WVO you don't have to pay tax due to the wording involing blending??

To start with unless your using more than 400 gallons a quarter your exempt from federal tax only. This document has not bearing whatsoever on any state's right to tax fuel. So if your trying to construe a way not to pay state taxes from this document, it's not there.

The way I understand it any fuel burned on the road is subject to tax. A better way to look at this is that it's a road use tax. It does go to the maintaining of your roads. That's why the road use tax here in NC that I'm paying is .37 a gallon not .0675(sales tax rate).

Let me know if I've not directly adressed your question or missed the point and I'll answer back later.

Ford Mechanic

Correct.

I just noticed where your located and are one step ahead of you at the moment due to Doghead asking about state taxes for NY also. More later...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks