• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pressurized Axles?

4x4e350

I was checking the fluid condition and levels on the 5 ton yesterday, all three axles look like the fluid was just changed, good news!
Anyway, as I removed the plugs on the axles, all three axles released pressure as I was turning the plug out. It wasn't just a little amount, it seemed to be atleast a few psi. I would'nt of thought much about it, but it just seemed odd to me that all axles had the pressure.
All my axle vents are just the little nipples with a cap on top, so no hoses or special fording kit. Do the axle vents have some type of check valve, so they wont release pressure till a certain amount of psi is built up? Or should I remove all the vents, and make sure they aren't plugged?

Maverick1701

my valves were so gummed up they wouldnt function. I had to clean them pretty well...eventually I just made my own vent lines and solved the problem.

BadMastard

One quick note, I had something similar on my M35A3, BUT it wasn't pressure, it was vacuum. The cap worked beautifully on venting, but not so good on allowing air back in. Just a thought.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
One quick note, I had something similar on my M35A3, BUT it wasn't pressure, it was vacuum. The cap worked beautifully on venting, but not so good on allowing air back in. Just a thought.
This is the problem with these valves, thay ONLY work one way, pressure out, sucking crap in, it is a lot better just throw all 6 away, install hose bibs, tees, then use vaccum line run to the fire wall with a cheap gas filiter on the end

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the problem with these valves, thay ONLY work one way, pressure out, sucking crap in, it is a lot better just throw all 6 away, install hose bibs, tees, then use vaccum line run to the fire wall with a cheap gas filiter on the end
Went a bit further and hooked all of them to the low pressure regulator, so everything can either be vented or pressurized...

abh3

What a great idea. My old Landrover always seemed to get water in the axles when wading after some driving but not so much cold, I always wondered if the axles cooling off rapidly in the water created a vacuum that sucked the water past the seals. Eventually I just did away with the vent thingies and ran hose up to the aircleaner to avoid mud plugging vents/hoses altogether, dirt-dauber problems, etc...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About the one-way breather vents, don't know where I have seen it, but there are specific instructions about letting the axles cool off before entering water for that exact reason (sucking water through seals when the hot air cools off).

kastein

I'd love to see a cheap air pressure regulator that can put out ~1/10 of a psi of air for pressurizing the axles, transfer case, transmission, etc... why? If I find myself in deep water I would rather be blowing a tiny bit of lube out than taking any amount of water in. Haven't been able to find any regulators that will go low enough to not blow out every seal though.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
McMaster-Carr sells regulators that will meet your <1/2 psig requirement. They go up to 5 psig and are fully adjustable.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to see a cheap air pressure regulator that can put out ~1/10 of a psi of air for pressurizing the axles, transfer case, transmission, etc... why? If I find myself in deep water I would rather be blowing a tiny bit of lube out than taking any amount of water in. Haven't been able to find any regulators that will go low enough to not blow out every seal though.
You will need more than 1/10 psi to keep the water out. Pressure increases by about 1/2psi/ft... The pressure for the deuce should be about 3 psi.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. What do you do about the alternator when
in deep water?

Thanks, Orren
Nothing, the electronics is protected by a gasket. Fording is not supposed to take place for a long period, it's over in a matter of minutes, so if the alternator doesn't produce during that time, no harm is done.
The older, generator regulator system was water proof and for vehicles designed to swim (typ m656), the alternator was pressurized with air like the axle housings etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks