• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Price trends of m939's

Ok I know it is a topic that has had it's share of discussion. I'm not looking for past price trends, I'm more interested in what is happening in the current environment of 5-ton sales. I.E., seems like the most recent trend on GL has been considerably higher by past standards. With the move to Iron Planet is it the changing of the price structure or a higher trend coming on rolling stock? So if theres good opinions on board I'd like to hear them.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last week,
There was a M929A1 and a M929A2 at Fontana, they went for $21,500 and $17,500. WOW
Also a M923A2 at Tucson went for $12,000.
Not sure what is going on.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I honestly thought the prices would return to normal when GL was allowed to resume truck sales. I have no idea why the prices are often double or more what they were before the sales were halted since there is no reason for panic buying. I haven't been able to bid high enough to buy anything other than M1101 trailers since June.

There are commercial uses for the dump trucks and tractors, which may drive those truck prices higher, but cargo and expandable van trucks have limited commercial use. Wreckers are useful in limited situations (although fun to play with :)), but cherry pickers, fork lifts and tow trucks are more efficient for most businesses.

Time will tell with GovPlanet prices, but one aggrevation is that you need to do a wire transfer for purchases above $5,000 (GL is above $10K). If trends continue, that will be for almost every large truck. Some Cucv contact maintenance trucks have even gone over $5K!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my theory, people know that prices will go up when IP takes over so they are trying to jump in on GL while they can.

Prices will go up in general with IP because of their guaranteed inspections. Gone are the days of true surplus buying. IP is going to fetch more of a retail price.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
People who were on the fence are now buying as a result of the temp freeze.

I'd been wanting, thinking, etc about getting one for a few years, but always had a reason to spend $$$ elsewhere. Then temp ban. Now resumed. But maybe not forever. See Izhmash shotguns. Faith that if "they" want it stopped, it'll get corked.
(There' s more, but it's more politics, so I'll err on the side of less.)

Oh, and Zombie Apocalypse. Because.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
I think most people want one now more then ever because of the freeze and there going into it without knowing the trucks ... look for more help me forums topics. I don't know

Doug Roberts

well because of recent circumstances , there are current buyers that are MV owners for the 1st time , and in lieu of the prices you're seeing , the demographic profile has escalated. These new owners might not stick with it for the long term , as buyers remorse sets in hard when you realize these vehicles aren't for everybody ! A few years ago the market was flooded with preowned Jeeps , and prices fell off a lot. This happened because many new buyers always wanted one , but when they got it , they realized this was a TRUCK , and if you thought it was going to be different , you were wrong. So you'll notice how well appointed a new Jeep is today , and with bigtime sticker shock to those of us who owned a brand new CJ7 Renegade that sold for $6k off the lot. If you're paying 'too much' for something too often , it'll catch up with you, I don't care who you are. Supply and demand dictate pricing , period , and IP might play with it for awhile , who knows? ... but we do know they have the new contract , and they have it for several reasons , and don't forget the biggest thing ... they are in it to make $$. Don't expect them not to .

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Reselling the stuff, recently it seems like there are more "preppers" who are of the opinion the mil trucks are indesctructable and will get them thru anything. Plus you have alot of publicity lately with GL being on mainstream news last year and the truck sales halt had publicity also. Ironplanet will cross advertise the stuff and there will be even more publicity. I dont think they will ever get inspections of all the mil stuff down to a science. Lots of stuff is drained, some part removed or a fuel issue so it wont start. With clean rebuilt trucks I can see them putting more effort into it though. I would always see GL listings stating wont start and the vid would show 5 cans of ether in the cab. It comes down to the employees though, you get what you pay for and minmum wage workers will do minimum work.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
From what I've seen, this is the normal cycle of MV auctions.

Take the deuce for example. At first they were sky high at auctions, then the glut of them were coming out. During the glut, there were running and driving trucks selling for $1000 or so. Now towards the end of the deuces and when the oddball pops out, they're sky high once more.

The M939 series has done the same thing. They were mega bucks at first. Then there was a lull. Heck my M931 the SEMTT is based off of was a driver off the lot for $2700 total. But now that there's less and less of these coming out, the prices are trending back upwards again.

It will be interesting to see what the LMTV and FMTV series trucks do at auction since most of them likely will pass through iron planet.

STLvortac

The price trend has not stabilized. Just last month in Missouri M923/5a2's all sold from 3 to 6k.

Does the Military still have a large surplus of m939 series trucks? I can see the price trend go up as the stock runs low.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The price trend has not stabilized. Just last month in Missouri M923/5a2's all sold from 3 to 6k.

Does the Military still have a large surplus of m939 series trucks? I can see the price trend go up as the stock runs low.
There weren't nearly as many M939 series trucks made as the M39/44/809 series trucks.

I think the opinions of the group are helpful, no one can predict the IP influence to come, we will see. I guess we may all miss the good ol days, soon enough.

PaulTheGaul

Glad to find this thread. I was looking at some past auctions from last year and most went between $4-6k. A few really clean ones went for a little higher. I've been looking at getting a M925A2 for nearly 2 years now just to play with on the farm, but I haven't pulled the trigger. I guess I better go ahead and do something since GL has a few going off in the next couple of weeks that look pretty decent.

cottonfarmer

I have bought off of both GL and ironplanet. I will say that Ironplanet is a far superior company. All of my dealings with them have been very straightforward and the items have been as good or better than described. I do not have time to go preview a lot of items, so what I have bought off GL I was taking a big risk. I do think Ironplanet prices will be a little higher, but nowhere near CL, Ebay and other people that think they have a gold mine with surplus items. I will be more than happy to pay alot more for an item that has a detailed description with a guarantee.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks